Tami and Tikis story.... PAY ATTENTION!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marty said:
Well I am a total basket case now. Darned if I do and darned if I don't.
I'm at a complete loss here now trying pour the feed to feed Holly 3 times a day plus keep free choice hay in front of her. Yes she is fat. No way can I feel any ribs.

428590[/snapback]

Marty,

Why are you pouring the feed into Holly? Why does anyone feed their mares for 2? I never change the feed of my broodmares, except that I start adding a tiny bit more alfalfa in the last month, to get them ready for the increase I give a week or so after foaling.

I keep reading that people are feeding their mares for pregnancy and it continues to puzzle me. WHY DO YOU DO THIS?????????? They don't really need anyting more until after the baby is born. Unless of course, you have special nutrient deficencies.
new_shocked.gif

Liz V.

[SIZE=14pt]I feed my mares normally until the last 3 months and then I increase the protein portion by 1/3, I have never had to question if a mare was bagging up. They always do and then they continue that ration till weaning foals.[/SIZE]

Lyn

How I handle my mares is this way. I feed them in the herd and watch there weight, if they get thin or fat I pull them in earlier, but usually around 290 days, I pull them in and feed them separate. I know pretty much what my mares eat as I have had them all a while and know what it takes to maintain them. I then start adding a normal portion of grain to their diet and a good portion of hay. Once the foal is born, they pretty much get all the hay they want. I still monitor their weight and if they gain a bit I allow that as they usually lose a bit when the foal is about 3 months old until I pull them off at 4 months. If I notice them losing I up the hay and grain.

As with anything else in life, it depends on the horse. Each is different, some are easy keepers and seem to live on air and others sway towards the thin side no matter what you feed them.

Marty, relax, you are in such close contact with your horses, you probably know your horses better than anyone on this forum. Moderation as in everything else in life is the answer. I saw a picture of Holly just the other day, she is not obese. Does she need constant food in front of her? Probably not but only you know how much it takes for her to maintain her weight. My vets suggestion is this. If they are fat when they concieve, keep them fat, if they are thin, keep them thin, within reason of course. Pregnancy is not the time for a diet. There is time for that after the baby is born.

Well i think the thing to remember here is not to panic and assume your horse needs its diet cut in half. If you are in doubt check with your vet or someone who can see your horse in person and check there weight.

Some horses are built different and look a bit more heavy then the refined ones it is the way they are meant to look

Every pregnant mare isnt the same and everyones feeding program isnt the same therefore how much and what you should add to a mare in her last 3 months of pregnancy will be different. Some may not need much but a vitamen others on a lower protien diet may need more.

Remember that protien in a diet doesnt come from a 16 percent feed therefore they are getting 16 percent protien it is a portion and lots of math to figuure the percentage in there entire diet.

I personally add a mare and foal grain to there diet at about 8 months and give them extra hay at nite as well but that is what works with my horses diet.

Latest posts

Back