tame mini for grandchildren

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannigirl

Reaction score
Got the following in an email the other day. I sent back that I had a 3yr old mini gelding that went oversize a couple of inches that is easily handled by adults, but have no little ones to be around for $500, but all I could do for her cause if I spent more time with him in training, I would keep him for myself. Never heard back--imagine that. LOL
default_whistling.gif

"I am wanting a grandchild safe miniature horse/pony for my grandchildren to be around and ride someday. I don't want to pay a lot of money and I live outside of ********************. I currently have two TWH and enjoy trail riding. Do you have anything available?"

I really don't want to sell anything to her because I am afraid she would let little children have free run with him and get hurt and the last thing I ever want to hear is that one of my boys hurt a child. I think I will have to know more if she does ever get back with me. I hope I am not over reacting.

I would just simply give her the name of several search engines for horses.....dream horse.com, horsetopia, equine now and also tell her she may want to look for local lesson programs that can put her in touch with someone...and tell her she can search the nearby areas for ponies that have more riding experience and are more suitable than a mini when it comes to riding. I would also give some food for thought when weighing out the lifespan of a pony versus the timeframe her grandkids will use/outgrow the equine. An older summer camp or lesson pony that would love the occasional romp with the grandkids but can no longer be used for 3-4 hours of lessons each day may be much more suitable. This really gives a purpose to those older equines that love interaction but can no longer go for miles upon miles of trails, win win in my eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'd refer them to rescue if you don't feel as though you have a horse you'd like to sell them. There are so many wonderful minis needing new homes who would fit their needs and starting with an older gelding is a great way to learn about minis. JMHO.

I have seen nice kid-safe riding minis advertised in the usual places-- kids outgrow them and move up to big horses so they need new homes. I am sure if she watches the ads and is patient she will find an experienced large riding mini or small pony. I have seen some adorable ones advertised in the past- they looked like saints.

Great ideas--I knew I could count on you all for ideas.
default_yes.gif
I still have her email and will send her one with your ideas.

Thanks

Angie

My concerns go beyond that.... does she have proper housing for a Mini or is she going to put it out with the full sized horses? My neighbors are reducing their herd and have had some odd people want Minis. The last ones had NO facilities for a horse at all. Some have wanted to haul a full sized Mini home in the back of their car or in a plastic crate- neither situation would have been safe or worked at all. Some have wanted to just stick them in the back yard. Had one girl want to purchase a filly from me and insisted on knowing how she was going to get along with dogs. They had 3 pits and a mutt that had never been around livestock that they wanted her to share their back yard with. NO WAY!!

People get their noses bent out of joint because the sale is refused, but folks need to do their homework first and make sure they have good facilities before purchasing a horse- of any kind.

I've kind of gotten off subject here, but if you have a gut feeling this is not a good sale, I agree, dont do it. I just love these people that want a child safe, bomb proof horse for nothing.

Back