Taller stallions...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
When I 1st got into Miniatures back in 1994, my 1st Mini was a 36.5" AMHR stallion. He was gorgeous really...straight on conformation and flashy black pinto with blue eyes...His pinto papers said he was a "tobiano" , but more accurately I'm sure he was a tovero, because he had overo patterns mixed in. Back then it was really expensive to test for homozygous, color and patterns, so I didn't bother. Anyway, color notwithstanding, when I took him to AMHR shows, his classes were always really small, so while he placed 1st all the time, sometimes (but not all) he was the only one in the class, which really sucked. And as for breeding, I offered outside breedings to him, because I didn't have many mares and I wanted to see what he would put on the ground. His babies he did sire were all pinto and black based...and correct. I eventually gelded him, because I figured that no one was interested in a taller stallion for breeding...most had very small stallions...under or around 30" or so. At least in the NW. Some trainers even threw their noses in the air at taking him in as a client horse for driving (funny part of that is most now show AMHR, too, and LIKE the B horses!).

OK, so after all that...and seeing what people are "wanting" now...and the popularity of taller stallions has risen (bloodlines and Miniature Shetlands having a large part in that)...my question is...When you are looking at a stallion to breed a mare to or buy for your own breeding program...how much does the HEIGHT of the stallion play in your decision? Not the bloodlines, color or anything else....just the height please. (Edited to say he must be conformationally correct, so take that out of the equation as well). I am really interested in your thoughts on this.

My own personal opinion is (and always has been) that I love the taller Minis...and always seem to steer towards the B's when looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want QUALITY, no matter the size! If I found a superior stallion on the taller side, "Who do I make the check out to for the breeding fee?" I suppose I'd be hoping he was "R" registered though, because AMHA doesn't register or recognize anything over 34", do they? Please excuse me if I erred on AMHA as I am still very new to Miniature Horses (but I am not new to "horses").

Personally, I want quality and size. I breed for the smaller horses, so would never consider a B sized stallion. That is not meant to put down B sized horses. They are fine for those who want bigger horses. It is just a matter of personal preference.

While I love my B sized geldings and appreciate, very much, the beauty of many taller minis, when it comes to breeding, currently I only consider AMHA/AMHR horses (so no B sized stallions).

I find that the proportions on most of the taller minis is exceptional and I often stop to look at a photo of a taller horse. But as I have all AMHA horses here, any stallion would have to be 34 inches or smaller to be able to be in my breeding program and AMHA registered. We also require parentage qualification.

I'll breed all my good AMHA mares (about 15) to Express (36 inches) this year. There are about 10 other of the shorter ones that I won't waist him on. I have done that for the past couple years.

Quality not withstanding if I was looking for an outside stallion to breed with it would need to be AMHA and AMHR registered as I own both and many are double. I like a stallion about 32-33 but more importantly I look at refinement and leg length compared to body depth. B size mares are ok but would rather stick with an A size stallion. There are some fabulous B stallions out there dont get me wrong and if I could breed to certain ones I would probably jump at the chance but for the most part would rather stick with one 34 and under.

With miniatures, I would prefer a smaller stallion. Now, it could be a "B" size stallion but because size IS an issue with minis, I'd like one 36" or under preferably.

The mares, particularly with the popularity of ASPC/AMHR horses, can be up to 38" and I'd be happy, but again I'd want to cross them with a smaller stallion.

Andrea

The tallest stallion I would even consider breeding to would be 32". I have all 34" and under mares that are a/r reg. and most of them are closer to the 30" mark. I only have 3 that I would breed to a 32" stallion just because that is too tall for most of my mares.

Since my breeding program revolves around horses that are 34" and under, I will only use stallions that are under 34".

When I first started in miniatures, I still had several Arabian mares. Though I love the full size horses, my goal since 1989 is to breed the SMALLEST, most correct horse. I haven't changed that goal.

While I have never had Sam officially measured I would guess hes about 34-36".

I love him. He is a size reducer. Out of a 37" B mare and 2 pony mares that (WERE NOT suppose to be bred) All three foals are over a year old and are between the 27-31" mark. The pony mares are were about 44-46" (Not sure how it got done but it did)

When it comes to breeding I look at the stallion not the height. As I love the Bs and the movement ect from them And dont feel like I overwhelm them when I drive a B horse I like them tall.

IF I were ever to breed, I would be aiming for the 36-38 inch range -- I adore big Bs with long legs, great balance and movement. Since I would also be breeding for CDE driving, the actual height would be under 39 inches (99 cm) at the withers in order to stay in the VSE division.

My only worry would be the odds of the resulting foal going over. The trouble with pushing the upper height limits is having to hold your breath that they measure in at each and every show. This is one major reason why I love horses double-registered with AMHR/ASPC. Then, if they go over, they at least retain their ASPC papers . (Although I know a 39 inch Shetland would be at a disadvantage showing ASPC.)

If your boy were very refined, I would definitely consider breeding him to slightly smaller B mares, providing they had the build to handle it. I would check the heights in his pedigree, and if they were all right at the limit, I'd be cautious breeding taller mares to him.

For example, if Mingus had remained a stallion, his refinement would make me feel comfortable breeding to slightly smaller mares, but the fact that he was a rescue horse with an unknown pedigree means that his parents/grandparents might be even taller than he. Statuesque as he is, he could well be the runt of his family!

Of course, this is all moot, as I will most likely never breed, and am speaking with absolutely no experience!

When I first adopted Mingus in 2002, several longtime mini breeders/exhibited told me it was pointless to hardship him, as AMHR, to them, was worthless. I was assured, quite vehemently, that NOBODY would EVER want to breed to him. (That was NOT why I chose to geld him...)

Personally I like the taller-32" to 34" AMHA/AMHR horses that are well proportioned with nice long legs and neck!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

I don't breed mini's but I know where I love we have no amhr shows, so if I was to breed he would have to be AHMA and depending on the mares height he would need to be short.

I think if the mare is very small, there is more leeway for breeding to a taller mini...?

Great Question and I will look forward to reading everyones comments. Like yourself, when we got into minis back in 1993, most studs traveling the show circuit were around 30inches, which was fine, but IMO, did not produce great driving horses (which is my passion) with those long legs for extension.

So our solution, we have two breeding studs, (try to please everyone) our almost 31 inch boy(AMHA,AMHR, FMHA) and our lovely leggy 35 1/2 inch boy (AMHR/FMHA). I even call them A and B. And when people come to visit, some like A and some like B. But I honestly think B gets more favorable comments.

I am now anxiously awaiting (due in three weeks) the first foal from the B Stud. And interesting, the B stud is out of a 30 inch stud himself. So will be exciting to see what we get. But we only breed to mares over 32 inches; I actually prefer the mares in the 34 to 36 range.

My colt is standing just under 37" as a two year old. Have I used him? Absolutely. He's taken two National Supremes and has eleven supremes from his last fifteen shows. (count started from yearling)

Yes he is tall. But he is the best horse I've ever bred and have had comment after comment on what a beautiful example he is. (Including from internaitonal judges) I have put him over a 36" mare with height reduction in her line - his sire was also a height reducer but didn't reduce any of his colts for some reason.....

Depending on what she puts on the ground I will consider putting him over smaller mares. He is very fine in himself so hoping for pretty, fine leggy babies.

I gelded my 32" stallion because this guy is so superior. So quality over height for me!

I would also look at the records of how big the stallions foals usually mature to if you can. My old stallion is 33.5" but his sire was very small and even when bred to big mares (33 to 34"), most of the time he actually downsizes the foals and they mature smaller than he is.

I would also prefer quality over size. I like both A's and R's and try to keep all my breeding stock double registered, but I have noticed that when eyeballing the sales board, most of the ones that catch my eye are R's!

I would say it depends on what your goal is and what you are breeding for? Do you want to stay within A size, or is R only also ok, or.. ??

It is so hard to say since it is so subjective. Smallest, most correct, leggier, better proportion all of those things sound good but we all have different ideas on what that actually is.

The one thing I have learned is that you have to breed what you like- with all the money, heartbreak and joy and hard work involved you have to love looking out in your pasture or barn at what you have.

There will always be those buyers that prefer small, tall, solid , colorful, hot, deadhead whatever the case is.

While my stud is 28.5" and I love every bit of him, I do like the taller stallions just because they seem more elegant and proportioned. You can only shrink so much! I like the 32"-34"
default_yes.gif

As far as breeding goes, I want to breed for what *I* want. I'm breeding for miniature horses, so as long as my stock is under 38" then I don't really care.
default_smile.png

I bred my 33" mare to a 33.50" stallion as he had qualities that complement her. I bred my 36" mare to a 38" stallion of extraordinary quality. In the future I see continuing breeding to larger stallions, as I find they can help me achieve things that I wish to breed for.

I do not own my own breeding stallion, but have decided that breeding to out side stallions allow me to best complement each mares in hopes for a greater foal.

This works for me, to each their own.

Latest posts

Back