Talking of horses names....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Conundrum Colin the Pirate..........when he was born, Colin just popped into my mind, and he had a black spot over one eye, so he became the pirate....he is a teenage hooligan at two years, but I love him.

colin2springshow2.jpg

love those spots.......all the horses posted are lovely! And some of the names!!! :aktion033: :lol: :lol: :lol: brilliant! Wish there was a way to have a vote on the funniest one!!!

We have : Sparky AKA Halters Late For The Party. Rita/Margarita AKA Halter My Margarita

Montigo (bukeroo bred)

Del Ria(AKA Doc Bars Del Ria, national champ cutting horse)

Ferrah

Jester

Jigger

Quicksand

I really don't like long, annoying registered names. I hate "Some Little Farm's Clever Long Name That Doesn't Roll Off The Tongue" as a registered name. The majority of horses I've owned have long names. It makes sense, the farm gets recognition when it's announced at the shows or printed up in ads.

I have had two foals so far, and they are just one word registered names. Both are from the film "Zoolander"... I had a colt named "Zoolander" (barn name "Derek") and a colt named "Mugatu" (barn name "Jake"). Sort of odd, but they're short and unique so that's all that matters to me!

Andrea

Such unusual, funny, and interesting names!

I have a registered Standardbred whose registered name is simply Niatrick. I always thought that was weird, but his sire is Niatross, one of the greatest harness racers of the 20th century.

When I got my APHA gelding, his registered name was PG Hancock. They called him "PG." Duh... So, I started thinking about how Cortez was the first person to ever bring a paint horse to North America when he marched into the Aztec empire, so I name him Cortez. Everyone said, "Huh??? What's that mean?" Geeze... Don't people study history any longer?

After two weeks I got so sick and tired of giving everyone a history lesson that I changed his barn name to Paco.

A few years back, I was given a two year old Arab gelding. He was the most wonderful, amusing, energetic, darling horse in the world! I decided that when he was old enough, I'd use him for endurance riding, so I named him "Taxi" because he was "going to take me places."

For my minis, I like short, one or two word names. I have a filly that was out of Dona from Kickapoo's stallion, LTD's Moonstruck. I wanted to keep her sire's name, but I felt that the word "moon" and all it's derivations was very overused in the registry. Even though my filly is LWO positive, like her sire, she's a solid black with only a small snip on her nose and a small "half moon" white coronet band on one rear foot. Since my husband and I both used to teach Spanish, we wanted something in Spanish, so she became "Weebiscuits Media Luna." Media (pronounced MAY-thee-uh) Luna means "half moon." So, I kept part of her sire's name afterall!

we have a couple funky names at our barn. there is "Shenandoah", indian for beautiful star daughter, barn name Shana or Shany. "Bam Bam I Am" love that one. "Wilma Flinstone" barn name Wilma. "Bennito" it's spanish, i don't know what it means, barn name Ben. And Wile E. Coyote. he is a mustang from the BLM. his original name was wild wind, but the owners husband didn't like that, so he called himjust "wild" which was later "wild mustang" and the girl didn't like that, so it was later changed to "Wile E. Coyote" and stayed that way. barn name whilee. then we have "neomiah" (sp?) that's his arn name too, and this guy's other horse's name i can't spell or say. and one paso fino has AHUGELONGSPANISHNAMENOONEUNDERSTANDS, so we call him Paso Fino.

more: Taxachana (ta-HAN-na), Baskarask, Takoma, Anusara, Macaroni, Saratoga, Cactus Jack, Chex Mix, Bondodoso (sp?) spanish for kind, Elmer Fudd, Boof, Dolsimmer, Drummaneer de la something-or-other (no idea, he was french), north Hollywood Shoot Um Up (that was the barn kitten), Pixie Pavlova, Christopher Robin, Thumbalina, Lunchbox, oh, and the funniest one, i think, is...(drum roll please...) "BROWN PONY!!!" yes, we call him brown pony. kinda pathetic name, but cute.

i think that's all. maybe i'll remember some more later.

We had two boarders at one point that had "unusual" registered names. One was an appendix QH whose registered name was "Sampson's Seamen" (barn name Shadow). Everyone had to chuckle a bit over that one...

The other was a Off-the-track TB named "Iron Willie" (barn name Willie).

Makes you wonder about what the theme was at our barn! LOL :bgrin
default_wink.png
:

Probably the most original in our barn and I cant take credit Deb from diminutives can. Her registered name is 4 G's 3 Red Scarlett But her barn name is Techno and it somehow fits her to a T. I never really asked how they came up with the name but she knows it and likes it so we kept it.

The others are pretty normal there is Shooting Sparks aka Sparky aka Big Guy

My Little Margie aka Sassy

Walker's Elegant Windwalker aka Ellie

Walker's Time to Gossip aka Sugar aka Cinnamini aka Cinnamin aka Sugar Baby

Gingerbreads Cookie aka Cookie Mama

B&W's Sunrise Pure Delight aka Sonny Honey

Westwinds Savannah of East Acres aka Baby

Walkers Heaven on Earth aka Tommy

Walkers Ray of Hope aka Ria aka Ree Ree

Maine Pride Crown Royal aka Roy Boy

Maine Pride Amaretto Delight aka Amy

That's our gang at least for now.

The weirdest one we have right now is Wicasa Cicala. Wicasa means holy man or seer, Cicala means cicada,a bug so we have a holy seeing bug? We just call him Little Man.

My final foal this year was born the day the movie "X-Men" came out so he was named X-Man.

XManLS.jpg

My minis are Goebel Gate Farms Passionate Kisses aka "Lucy", which isn't to wierd, but my gelding is Patton's by the Grace of the Moon and he is aka "Buldog". He isn't really a Bulldog, a very sweet gelding.. His only issue is being top of the pecking order, so i guess it fits him for "Bullying" Lucy around.. Thanks for letting me share..(But sometimes Lucy gets called big Bertha- cause she likes to swing that butt around. :lol:

well hes not my horse, but at the claremore show this weekend there was a horse named

Holy smokes I was a bad boy

i think its a cute name

My favorite all time name is a mare I named CCF NoSinToWin

I have always admired a twh with this name, so I stole it.

you wouldnt believe the way people pronounce that name , nosen to win, is the most misconstrued.

it should read like NO Sin To Win

I know a "Holy Smoke" too - he is an AMHA mini who grew to be 40" tall!! Fortunately his owner is addicted to CDE and just driving in general, so she does not care. Holy Smoke is really a nice looking horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely love Cortez and Shenandoah!

I should have listed historical and geographical names along with literary, artistic and musical names. Shenandoah is historical, geographical and musical (one of the most beautiful folk songs ever).

Don't dumb down the names just because others don't get them -- stick to your guns!

O That Frito Bandido was from the Richards Ranch here in Arizona.... and has done very well in the show ring over the years - he was one of the club's raffle horses!

I have named two with silly names--or at least to me they were silly. The first one was Trouble. He kept hiding in the high weeds when he will little so I said he was nothing but "Trouble". This name always gets a good chuckle at nursing homes cause I will usually tell someone that he was named after them. The other one is "George" One day I just told my husband and friend that if someone did not come up with a name for him, I would call him George. They thought I was kidding. That will teach them to think. :bgrin Now, people just look at him and say--Who would name a cute little guy like you George?

Mine is Reh's Oh Oh. She got that because that is what they said when she was born. Her sire was a solid bay and her dam a solid bay and she was a loud sorrel pinto....lol. This proved her sire Bond Rollback was a minimul pinto, he had one white spot on the side of his lip. He produced a large number of pintos out of solid mares.

Our most unusual name is our stallion, Bethel's Best Foot Forward. That is way too much name to call him so he is just B.F..

My most unusual name is:

Shawneecreek's The Horse That Wasn't

She was born on Feb. 29th. I had a friend whose birthday is on the same day. He told me that a card reader told him one time he was born on the day that wasn't, so hence the name. We call her Haylee.

Latest posts

Back