Talk about a size comparison!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calekio

Reaction score
P6120448.jpg

Spirit - Palomino colt at the back - 13 months old - both parents about 31.5" tall. Currently measures at about 28/29" tall

Prince - coloured colt at the front.. 3.5 weeks old - Both parents about 33.5" tall.

Prince is going to go WAY over height! I knew he was a big lad... but not till i saw him up againest spirit that it really dawns on you!!
default_new_shocked.gif

I have the same thing with Bailey and Willow. She was almost born taller than Bailey! Love her regardless of what size packaging she comes in.
default_wub.png

Both really sweet looking horses you have there too!
default_yes.gif

Jeeze! That is a huge size difference! You '08 colt looks SO MUCH like the sorrel & white colt I have. He's just a month old and he reminds me of your colt.

Prince certainly is a big boy... his mum has done him well!.. Too well! lol

This is the reason his mum isn't being bred from again, she'd had food piled into her this winter to keep her looking like a rescue case! She just gives it all to her foal! And the end result is Prince! (i'm so glad i was there for her when he was born... as i don't think she'd of got him out on her own!)

Prince will be sold as a gelding... but sure to make a cracking standard size show gelding till he can do ride or drive!

He's 4 weeks old tomorrow... and yesterday we took him for a walk down a very busy main road with mummy and then down the side road. He was on his toes a little bit as expected with the traffic but as good as gold! And if there is something he isn't sure about he stops... looks at it then walks stright up and touches it, once relised it not scary walks on again! Never seen such a chilled out foal! He could teach my adults a thing or 2!

Just cause he is big now doesnt mean he will mautre big. Have you measured his cannon bone? I had a foal that I showed as a "B" foal but matured to be a "A" sized adult.

That said I do have a weanling here now that is the same size as a two year old I have. But she is out of big stock and I know she will mature big.

He does don't he!

well... using the cannon bone measurements.... i should be looking at a 42" adult size
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

He's a far cry from his 33" parents!

What is his cannon bone measurement? The middle of the knee to the top of the hoof..........

I think you might have measured the cannon bone wrong. My ponies that are 42" tall were much taller than he was at birth...................

Stright line from middle of knee to top of hoof is 10".... if i worked it out right (x4 and add 1or2") then that makes him 42"...
default_wink.png
default_wacko.png
This is so confusing! lol

I would remeasure as I doubt he will get that big. I have a 2 month old filly here who is about 31" and she is only expected to get to 37". How does his knee level compare to his dams?

well remeasured and got the same thing... compairing his mum and his knee level he is about 2" above her..

So.. what do you think?

well cannon bones dont grow. So I am going to guess..........based on a few things stated and my experiance with foals I would say 35-36". So tall but not over height.

I had a colt that measured 10" at the cannon bone as a yearling.

He projected to mature at 39" tall or something like that.

He was measured repeatedly, legally and fairly as 33.50" or the tallest he ever measured was 34" with a mare in heat standing in front of him at the measuring station (not my plan, just how it happened.)

he stayed under, but he always had LONG legs!

Never can tell with some of them.

Liz

Thanks for all the info/advice.

The more i look at this boy to more i am tempted to keep hold of him and see how he matures up.... the plan was to geld him and sell at weaning.... but i think if i've got no interest by then... i may well keep him entire and run him with my yearling colt and see how he develops... obviously if he stays under 34" then he is a serious stallion potential for us....

Prince is just such a pleasure to do... he is so bombproof and chilled out... think he is going to be a lovely little lad... once he stops teething! lol

Latest posts

Back