Taking Photos of your horses...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critterhugger

Reaction score
I need some helpful suggestions on how to take a decent photo of your horse when you have no one to help set up the horse for you. Admittedly I am THE WORST at taking photos anyway, but not having help is especially difficult for someone like myself who is PHOTOGRAPHICALLY CHALLENGED! HELP!

saludando.gif
You could do what i do........run around like crazy with a lunge whip in one hand and my camera in the other! LOL
biggrin.gif
Of course, it's difficult, I have to run, then stop, focus my camera and *hope* my mare is still moving out like I want her to. By the time i get it focused, she usually has stopped and started grazing again
wacko.gif
FORTUNATELY, I have gotten some pretty darn good pictures doing this!

If you are looking for halter pictures, try to teach your horse to pose and stand still when you are not able to hold them for the picture. I can walk up to my mare in the pasture, snap my fingers at her legs and point or tell her which ones to move. Getting her to stand posed is fairly easy, the only more difficult part is getting them to do the right thing with their neck when you arent right there...and of course, the first biggest issue is making it so they don't walk off.

Kind of OT, but with my Shetland Sheepdogs, I can tie them to something, somewhat pose them and toss things in front of them or use squeeky toys to bring there attention where it's needed. This is also something you could do with your horse.

Unfortunately, it's not easy getting/taking good pictures of horses by yourself, I have lucked out a lot on gotten pretty good ones, it just takes a lot of practice., and a LOT of pictures
smile.gif
yes.gif

Hi Laurie,

I do have to tie some of mine part of the time to get good pics.

Other times I let them out on my grass area after they have not been out of their big pen for a few days and so they are ready to run and I have the camera ready since I love action shots also.

Another thing I have found is that my foals start running in the evening when it gets cool and so I take some pics then.

For really good halter type shots I almost have to find a helper. So I don't have as many shots like that...........lots more candid ones :)

Oh I forgot one of the best ways to get foal super action shot also is to put the foal on one side of the fence from the mom and when they realise they are not with their mom they will start to get a little nervous and trot with that tail straight up!

Of course I do not do that for very long :)

Susan O.

Kinney Miniature Horses, Oxford, IowaI just took some candid photos by myself last weekend of my yearling filly, "Kinney's Cowboys Alexis". I tied a plastic Wal-Mart bag to the end of the lunge whip and shook it around with one hand and had the camera in the other hand. I put the end of the whip on the ground and she watched the bag begin dragged across the ground.....makes ears perk up and get that nice arched neck look.

Alexis-lookingdown.jpg

Then I put the whip above my head to get this "upward" look from the filly.

d8f5627b.jpg

This is a shot of her trotting around the round pen, it took several pictures to get one good one like this.

Alexistrotting.jpg

Hope this helps.

Steph

I use video. Then watch it and freeze frame for a still. My video has a card so that I can actually take stills or ad them to the card via freeze frame & pushing a button. Also, have a program called Dazzle. It allows you to play the video into your computer, then freeze frame and capture as a still.

I like the video as you can get more in one use, plus several horses. But, have done as the others with the digital -- 100 pics for 1 good one
laugh.gif

Kmh,
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
great idea!

Unstead of the whip, I use my husky! lol, horses hate him! so they watch & run, but never walk towards me! lol, works great! dog is on a lunge line!

I tie my horses up, and have a water hose near-by, and I put it on "jet" and squirt it out in front of them to help get their attention. I have also tied a white plastic bag to a whip and shook that around. These things have worked with almost any horse.

Bess Kelly has the number one best way to get good shots ....alot easier to chase them around and video them.........I do not own a video camera so I resort to begging, whining, pleading, threatening, and bribing people in my family to help
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Wow! Thanks guys for the great suggestions!!! I was gone over the weekend and I'm just now getting back to read your replies! I appreciate it!!!
smile.gif
Now I've just got to get out there and TRY them!
saludando.gif
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm generally by myself with no help to photograph. I find the best thing to do is put the horse in an area it's not used to being in and use a whip with a plastic bag on the end. I've gotten some great shots that way! Here are a few examples:

GordonJune2.jpg

CrocusJune05.jpg

Misty05.jpg

Mischief2.jpg

I've used all of the above mentioned techniques, but have found my new personal favorite...............

3 words............

Remote Control Car
biggrin.gif

Works Awesome
yes.gif

CharmedMinis said:
I've used all of the above mentioned techniques, but have found my new personal favorite...............
3 words............

Remote Control Car 
biggrin.gif

Works Awesome 
yes.gif

457271[/snapback]

I had to laugh out loud at that one! I'm gonna have to try that!

Chris

I was digging up dirt in our pasture for our garden and I went to put my shuvel away and left my white bucket in the pasture. I heard my horse running and I turned around and he was snorting at the bucket. If you have a spooky horse put something out in the pasture and you can get some good shots. My horses was prancing around with his tail up, head held high, and ears perked. great pictures!

Steph, you really took some nice pics of your girl. She sure is a little beauty!
wub.gif
Mary

kmh said:
Kinney Miniature Horses, Oxford, IowaI just took some candid photos by myself last weekend of my yearling filly, "Kinney's Cowboys Alexis".  I tied a plastic Wal-Mart bag to the end of the lunge whip and shook it around with one hand and had the camera in the other hand.  I put the end of the whip on the ground and she watched the bag begin dragged across the ground.....makes ears perk up and get that nice arched neck look.
Alexis-lookingdown.jpg

Then I put the whip above my head to get this "upward" look from the filly.

d8f5627b.jpg

This is a shot of her trotting around the round pen, it took several pictures to get one good one like this.

Alexistrotting.jpg

Hope this helps.

Steph

455857[/snapback]

Latest posts

Back