Taking nice pictures of your miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wc minis

Reaction score
Hi,

I see alot of nice pictures of everyones horses here on the forum. They all look so nice. I am trying to get updated pictures done for my web site and I have 2 horses here that are just so hard to get them to stand, or they lay their ears down or point them side ways. It is enough to make me
default_wacko.png
They are not bad behaved, but rather non attentive. I dont show my horses, but I do work with them and they are handled everyday. I have tried treats, grass, grain, and a racoon tail. Tonight I tried a water bottle with water, and than a crinkly (sp ?) piece of paper. Wondering if anyone has any pointers to get their attention. Thanks a bunch!!
default_smile.png

I love doing "photo shoots" ...i like side shots, nice head / neck photos and then i think the horses look nice if you take them from the side but more up towards the shoulder and angled ..that is how most of mine are taken.

Im sure we entertain the nabors here on photo day, we everything but stand on our head to get that photo. Normally it takes about 2-4 people to get the right photo. Somone to take the pics, me to hold the horse, someone to stand behind me with a branch to get ears or something. Its always a fun time. I use plastic bags allot and really whatever is laying around...blankets, pillow cases, chip bag (lol), shoe, dog toy, dog (lol agian), mirror, tree branch, stick horse.....normally just a coffee can of grain will do the trick though
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What Leeana says is SO true! You do need extra people. If you can get a THIRD person to be the "prop person" or noise maker it really really helps. She gave you a good list of props too.

Larry and I enjoy taking photos of our horses moving as well. Again you need an extra person sometimes to encourage them to trot or to change direction for the camera.

Get down low to take pics of minis, vs. having the camera pointed downward.

Have a camera that can take pics rapidly. Nothing more frustrating than getting the pose, neck, ears and expression just so and then it taking 5 seconds for the pic to snap (by that time -- you got a different look going on!).

Plan to take 100+ of the same horse to get a couple good ones. At least that is how it goes for us. We take 100s in a session and I will keep just a handful.

Hire someone who knows what their doing LOL. I can't take good pictures but while working on a shoot in July, we found it was easier for us to have the people there to get the horses ready and work them while having someone with a super camera to take the pictures. It does take a crew to get those great photos, two people just can't get the same shots.

My absolute favorite photo prop is a stick horse that whinnies when you press the ear - works almost every single time!!!!!

As everyone has said you definitely need at least two people if not three and have your photographer sit on the ground. :)

Pay attention to lighting and background, light can really help a horse stand out. If it's a posed picture pay special attention to where the shadow is, you want it directly behind the horse. Try to take pictures in the morning or evening, during the middle of the day the lighting isn't as great.

Another good thing to have around is a mirror, when they see their reflection that usually gets their attention!

Also, don't forget fly spray! You may have them set up for a nice shot when a little bug decides to ruin it and you'll get a swishing tail.
default_wacko.png

Great post, I love taking pictures and I'm always looking for tips.

Thanks everyone. We are going to go out and give it another try this morning. We have 1 yearling filly that I would like to get done today. Last night we did get some good shots of her, but it was her ears, she would lay one down or point it sideways. She is also a perlino or cremello (I havent figured out what color yet)lol. So the lighting I know has to be just right or her coloring looks really weird. We always have 2 people, I handle the horse and than I have someone with the camera. A third person would be nice, I may have to do some recruting this morning. I cleaned her up last night so she was all pretty and got most of the dirt off of her, so I am sure she went and rolled in the dirt last night. It is really hard to keep the dilute horses clean too
default_smile.png
I think I will be going around the house on a scavenger hunt.

We have had pictures taken of our horses by a wonderful lady from Wisconsin several times. She has the best trick ever. It worked with every horse. She had a cookie jar that looks like horse and when you opened the lid it nickered. I didn't see one horse that could resist putting it's ears up when they used it!!!

My absolute favorite photo prop is a stick horse that whinnies when you press the ear - works almost every single time!!!!!
I have one of those! I got it for Christmas. Props don't help here any.
default_no.gif
I just so suck at taking photos! One of these days we will have a faster, idiot proof camera.

When I say on my website "hope to get better pics soon!" It's just wishful thinking on my part *sigh*

Getting hubby to help me take pics is like pulling teeth LOL!

I guess if I put a couch and six pack out in the yard he'd hold the horse?
default_new_rofl.gif

Well so funny a friend told me that loudly banging together 2 garbage can lids in front of them will really get them alert and ears standing...NOT SO just scared them :DOH!

aa01.jpg

l called her while taking pictures and she laughs and says not banging right in front of there faces stand of to the side and back a little and bang the lids...ears came up sorta and didn't seem as spooky
default_biggrin.png

teela2008.jpg

windemere-11.jpg

This is a photo from last year- I will post this year's as soon as it is up on my website. It is helpful to have others assisting with horse, props, and camara.

Thank you, Janet, from Windemere for the lovely photos.

Peggy

Thanks everyone for the tips! We did manage to get my last one photographed and they turned out ok. My web site is now updated and I had Jean do some other changes to it, kind of gave it a makeover. I looked at it this morning and WOW!! I think it looks great. Next year I have a few more to take pictures of. If you are interested go take a peek at it and tell me what you think. The link is Visit My Website Jean does a wonderful job!!

My tip for getting good photos of your horses is to call on Debbie!
default_biggrin.png
Doobie Photography - she does a great job! She came over and we spent the day wandering my pastures and she just snapped and snapped - took hundreds of shots. Got some beautiful pictures for me to create pages for our website with.

One of our stallions Echos Golden Arrogance:

ArisPageE.jpg

One of our broodmares MiLo's Silver Lady:

Ladypage.jpg

One of our geldings MiLo's Classic Ladies Man:

Mannypage.jpg

WC Miniatures - I think your website looks very nice and you are getting some good pictures of your horses. I've got a full brother to your Fikes Sunny Skipper on my showstring. Golden Coin S owned by Ron and Kim Clough, qualified and will be shown at the AMHA World Show in Sr Stallions 30" - 32", Amateur Sr Stallions Level 2 Over 30" - 34" and Liberty. He's an awesome horse!
default_biggrin.png

Have at least 3 people when taking photos of weanlings, one to hold the mare, one to catch the foals attention and the third to take the photos.

Always have everything ready BEFORE you get your horse to the area you are going to shoot. You have just a little bit of time with the little ones before they peeter out...

Have a memory card that holds a lot of photos....you'll shoot many and be lucky to get a couple that turn out decent.

Watch the time of day......for best shots, you want to have decent lighting.....

A simple background is often times prettier, my pet peeve are those that the horse is set up in front of a bunch of flowers and shrubs that look like they are coming out of their ears.

It's best to set your horse out from the back ground too I think.

WC Miniatures - I think your website looks very nice and you are getting some good pictures of your horses. I've got a full brother to your Fikes Sunny Skipper on my showstring. Golden Coin S owned by Ron and Kim Clough, qualified and will be shown at the AMHA World Show in Sr Stallions 30" - 32", Amateur Sr Stallions Level 2 Over 30" - 34" and Liberty. He's an awesome horse!
default_biggrin.png
Thanks Becky. I have seen pictures of Golden Coin and he is really a nice looking horse.

Thanks again for all of the tips
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back