Taking my mini to nursing home~ideas?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am taking Dapper Dan to a nursing home tomorrow for the first time. There will be about 16 older folk. I am hoping to take a helper to help keep tabs on walkers, oxygen apparatus, etc. I don't think I will let them give treats, as it might make him too mouthy. Anyone done this before? I don't like to take too many risks with these fragile folk. It will be indoors, but I am not very worried about "accidents". He doesn't usually, but if so I will be ready for clean up.

Marsha

I take mine once a week and he is very good. If there is a linolium floor you will need something non slip on his feet or he will go every which way. I have a couple people who like to hand feed, but it does make them kind of mouthy so I avoid it if possible. Mine has had potty accidents, but mostly if they start to wiggle or get naughty it is probably potty break time. The home I go to has had me there for two years now, and even after accidents insist that I come back.

We go room to room, with an Activities person. Good luck and most of all have fun making people smile!

52505duce.jpg

You should do fine with him. Let us know how it goes! (Take a camera.) Be sure to have someone with you to assist if possible.

He will probably do all his potty-ing in the trailer before he gets to the nursing home, so that shouldn't be a problem unless you plan to stay for very long.

The main concern will be regarding his footing on the floors. If the floors are not carpeted, be prepared to wrap his hooves in vet wrap so he won't slip.

Have fun!

MA

Marsha Cassada said:
I am taking Dapper Dan to a nursing home tomorrow for the first time.  There will be about 16 older folk.  I am hoping to take a helper to help keep tabs on walkers, oxygen apparatus, etc.  I don't think I will let them give treats, as it might make him too mouthy.  Anyone done this before?  I don't like to take too many risks with these fragile folk.  It will be indoors, but I am not very worried about "accidents".  He doesn't usually, but if so I will be ready for clean up.Marsha

430014[/snapback]

You don't say how old he is, but unless he is really tall, you should not have a problem. First off, NEVER let anyone but you give him anything to eat. Especially if you plan to use him around children and older people. Mine only get fed in their stalls and occasionally a treat when they are safely in the trailer. Little and older fingers are fragile and usually smell like cookies or candy.

If he hasn't been on slick floors, you need to walk him on one carefully. If his hooves are trimmed rather square with very little toe, he will be able to keep his balance and not slip as easily. Also, constantly be on the lookout for water and such on the floors.

Last thing I can think of at this time is to watch stocking feet of people in wheel chairs. If you step your horse close, he could step on one. Try to approach from the side of the wheel chair if possible.

Basically just take your time and have fun. Everyone will love him and many will want to hug and/or kiss on him. Good luck and have a great time.

Ps--Don't forget the camera, but get someone from the home to take the photos or ask permission because some families don't care for photos to be taken.

Hope this helps you some.

Angie

I use Vetrap to wrap my horses' feet - I would not take a chance walking on linoleum floors without the wrap as they can take a step, slip and panic.

The residents like the fancy colors, too.

I don't let folks feed Mercy - she gets obnoxious when food is involved. If they have treats ready I ask them to package them up so Mercy can share with her friends at home. One nursing home cut up apples and carrots and placed them on a turkey platter....

Good luck and have fun!

Denise

Thanks for the hint about vet wrap for slick floors! This place has short nap carpet, so we should be fine, but for future reference it is good to know! Loved the photo of lilhorseladie at work. Dapper Dan is 9 years old, 32". He has been around handicapped adults before and did fine, so we will try older folks. Going every week--what a commitment! I am not sure I am ready for that. Thanks for the good luck wishes!

Marsha

Everyone has given you great ideas here.
yes.gif
When I take mine to nursing homes, I always take my camera (or camcorder) and a photo book filled with pictures. That way, the ones who are interested, can see different minis (adults & babies) different colors, & what they look like in winter as opposed to summer.
smile.gif

And yes....always ask first, about taking photos. and if you think you may want to use the pics for publicity or post on a website, you usually need to get a "release" signed by each person that can be easily identified in the photo. Just ask the Activities Director about this to see what their policy is.

How neat!! You will do great!

We took Sadie to the Nursing Home at Christmas and she was just perfect. She even rode on the elevator and never hesitated.

It was so much fun to see the expressions on the faces of many of the Nursing Home patients and of course many of them had stories to tell about their own horses.

We had so much fun and it was a good feeling to bring so much joy to so many people.

Our highlight was just as we were leaving, a man came running in the front door and saw us. He said, "My gosh there really are horses here!!" He had been on the phone to his Mother and she told him there were little horses in her room. He thought she had lost her mind and came over to check her out. We still get a chuckle out of that!!

Here is Sadie greeting one of the many patients!!

PC2300201.jpg

I like the idea of dressing up the horse, but I think I will go bare this time, as it is my first. Dapper Dan and I are pretty active in the community and in the paper so much, I am going to keep a low profile on this visit. If they would just put HIM in the paper and leave me out of the picture... I'll bet he would love a ride in an elevator! Thanks again!

Marsha

LOL, sorry guys, just had to post about not giving hand treats. I took my guy this past winter to a local home and I couldn't figure out why he was being so nibbly when no one had been hand feeding him. Finally, I realized, they had just had breakfast before I got there and several were still wearing the leftovers
new_shocked.gif
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
Since we were going from person to person I think he thought it was all you could eat smorgasboard!!!!!!!

We had a good time at the nursing home. Dapper Dan was very good. The old folks seemed to enjoy him. I was surprised at the shortness of the visit, as I did not realize they had such a short attention span. Then we went across the street to HeadStart and chatted with the children. The vet wrap came in handy there, as the floor was linoleum. The kids climbed on him, looked at his teeth, pulled his tail, and watched him drink in the drinking fountain. They were lined up to drink and I asked if Dapper Dan could have a drink to. One little girl said "he will have to get in line and wait his turn". But, they did let him cut in after all and he enjoyed his drink. Boy, was he glad to get home to his pasture! One odd experience, was when we were leavng the school I paused at the double glass doors to open one and Dapper Dan ran into the other one. Guess he did not see that it was glass and not an opening. I felt bad about that, but will watch out in the future.

Marsha

ps my old folks were very tidy, so timing between meals is a good idea, as Dapper Dan did some snuffling, but thank goodness, no nibbling.

I never allow treats, afraid of fingers, you know. I take American Gigolo every where. He has never had an accident, although I come prepared with a bag with spray cleaner, paper towels and trash bags. When we have been inside for a couple of hours, Gigolo taps his front foot, letting me know that he has to go. I then take him right outside and he does his job outside. Don't know how he learned it. He has been to every nursing home around and to multiple schools , some for the handicapped, some for kids with Cerebral Palsy. He rides on elevators, goes into every room, no one gets missed.etc.

Walk slowly on ramps or tile or vinyl floors, they slip. Vet wrap helps but doesn't stay on long.

Have fun!

Ok, I am interested doing this at some point and have read all the responses btu can someone explain about the vet wrap, anyone have pics of the vet wrap on? So you cover their hooves wo they don't slip??

I would have never thought of that! Lots of good ideas here!!

If you do it a lot I suggest a large dog boot with non skid stuff on the bottom. I slip them on in about 20 sconds and velcro. But I also go once a week and sometimes more. I'm glad you had a good time Marsha.

Latest posts

Back