tails

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams

Reaction score
how long do you guys let you horses tails grow. i have a stallion whos tail is just dragging on the ground and my fillys trails behind her by about 3 inches. they are always braided and put up or else she steps on and ruins it. my question is is there an advantage/disadvantage of such a long tail in the show ring. what length tail is apropriate.

I do not let my horses tails drag, it really becomes a safety hazard, if they rear and step on their tail they can go over. (And I have one who likes to rear a lot!) They might just step on their tail when they're walking as well and that's got to hurt! It collects dirt, leaves, etc. dragging on the ground. My horses are both learning to drive and jump, do obstacle, etc. and long tails would just get in the way. They are also hard to keep.

To answer your questions- No, there really is not an advantage to a long tail in the ring. Try trimming just above the fetlock. IMO it's just better not to have a dragging tail.
default_yes.gif

Hope that helped a bit!
default_wink.png

Not sure what they like in the show ring, but I like to cut tails at the fetlock. Looks neat and clean to me. I also tend to like a shorter mane and just clip about 3 or 4 inches of bridle path -can you tell I come from a hunter/jumper background? LOL-.

I for one like the tail to barley touch the ground. i do not like banged tails or short tails. i think when the tail barley touches the ground but isnt dragging, it looks elegant. personal opinion though
default_smile.png

I cut mine at the fetlock each winter and then by show season, its just a bit longer and doesn't have that straight across cut look. I was told that if you twist their tail tight, then cut, you won't get that straight across cut look. Never tried it though. I don't like long tails as its more work to keep them clean and it becomes a harzard for the horses if their tail gets stepped on. Can we say Ouch??? Also, your tail may take away from the horse. The longer the tail on a shorter horse, the more shorter is makes the horse even though it isn't.

If I let Syd's tail get long enough to drag the ground, she steps on it when she backs up. NOT a good thing! Fetlock legnth works for us.

I like my horses tails long, but not where they are on the ground. One disadvantage to a tail that drags in the show ring is that it will pick up pieces of hay, etc - not good!! I learned that the hard way. Seems like I am always trimming tails as they grow pretty fast. I don't braid any of them.

Barbie

Come fall we clean the tails well, super condition them, braid and wrap them up in vet wrap. They dont come down again normally until spring. By this time they are normally dragging the ground. Generally, from a judges point of view, I don't like tails dragging the ground or overly full. It hids the horse's movement from the rear and you have to move the tail to judge their legs when stacked. I've got one horse who's tail is still dragging the ground. Last time I showed him in hunter/jumper I just left it wrapped. Obviously it is put up unless we are in the halter ring and I'm sure will shortly be cut to just above the coronet band. Perhaps a little bit short because we plan to start driving soon. Thinning shears also work well to give a more natural look to the end of the tail vs a blunt cut.

I personally do not like a "blunt" cut -- it looks artificial to me. I prefer to see them thinned or pulled to a nice fairly long length -- but for sure not trailing on the ground.

Latest posts

Back