Tails of mares ready to foal.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I have 3 mares that are looking closer to foaling, and I noticed when I was braiding their tails, as soon as I touched their tails, they seemed to pull them aside right away, much like a dog or mare in heat does when they are "receptive". This is not the "pulling away" type of movement, or resistence of any sort, it is like an involuntary movement sort of up and to the side. Has anyone else noticed this in their mares, and if so, usually at what point before they foal??

I've got two overdue mares, neither do this when braiding. Interesting though!
default_smile.png

Jessi

Mona, I think this is what they call marestare-psychosis-- everything they do sends the owners into strange trains of thought! LOL

I'd like to know how the hormones compare when a mare is in heat versus to one near foaling time. They're probably close.

Mona, I think this is what they call marestare-psychosis-- everything they do sends the owners into strange trains of thought! LOL
Sums it up I think I've got that
default_wacko.png
LOL I keep thinking I see signs .. but yea right :DOH!

Their hormones do come close near foaling to that of cycling -- one of the reasons a stallion will of ten attempt to mount them if they are together. When I have a mare really close, the stallion will smell them at the nose (thru a fence!) and you will see him get very study, sometimes drop. This is actually where the scent changes during cycles, first -- the breath.

My mare Dandy just started doing the same thing yesterday. She was with the stallion until May 18th last year which was the day I found him sick and we lost him the 27th. She never came back into heat last year when I tried to breed her to Spot in mid June until I sold him in early November. So I am sure she is in foal to Cody as I doubt she will last a month or more as her udder is quite pronounced and her hind end is loose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Mona, they're so close. You're mares will be foaling before you know it. Can hardly wait.

This is really interesting! The night before my mare foaled, another mare was following her around and sniffing her hiney- so I assume it was the scent change. I think I do recall my mare's tail being sensitive, too, just how you are describing.

Peggy

That was funny you posted this. I was going to write earlier and say my mare has never done this, but today, she wouldn't let me near her! Her due date was the 7th, so I'm anxiously awaiting her baby! But tonight, I couldn't touch her tail and she would move to the side every time I touched her butt.

I've got two overdue mares, neither do this when braiding. Interesting though!
default_smile.png

Jessi
It wasn;t from the actual braiding itself, it was like they were ultra sensitive and it happened as soon as I would touch them.
default_yes.gif
I knew what you meant, I meant it, too, just that I would have noticed while braiding tails ;)

However, last night Casi DID do that! Hmm! ;) Neither mare wanted me messing with them, that is different for them.... but still I wait and watch.... and lack in sleep! LOL

Jessi

Latest posts

Back