Tail Setting?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhooptyDoo

Reaction score
I saw a Facebook post the other day with a mini that had it's tail set like a saddle horse. I wanted me message the person who posted it to ask about it, but I can not find the post now.

Is this becoming a thing with minis? I haven't shown in a long time (20+ years) and don't remember ever seeing one with their tail set.

No it is not a thing with minis. I doubt there is anyone actually setting the tail on a mini--the very few that show park harness at Nationals do not have set tails, they just wear false tails for their park classes.

It is coincidental that this topic has arisen. About a week ago I also saw a photo of a mini who I swear has his tail set. I have been wondering about it ever since. The tail looked set and I couldn't make it "look" unset (by that I mean horse flagging his tail, raising it to poop, etc) no matter how I tried.
Thanks for the answer Minimor!
I wonder if the picture was Photoshopped.

There are false tails for horses? Do they merge with the actual tail?

Is there a way to attach a false tail so that they have the "lifted and fallen" look of set tails? I could swear this guy had his tail set.

I had the same things running through my mind Cayuse. I wonder if we saw the same photo. The arch was completely unnatural. Hmm. Maybe someone is really good at backcombing and a bunch of Aquanet?

Angie, yep. The false tails are braided into the hair at the base of the tail. Youtube has some videos on how to put one in.

No, the false tails that you see on park horses and some of the hackney ponies and even Modern Shetlands are not the same as what get fastened into the lower part of the tail on quarter horses and such. The show ponies ('and minis) wear a metal thing that attaches to the harness. Then the fake tail cap gets put over top that. Yes, it has the same look of a set tail.

No, the false tails that you see on park horses and some of the hackney ponies and even Modern Shetlands are not the same as what get fastened into the lower part of the tail on quarter horses and such. The show ponies ('and minis) wear a metal thing that attaches to the harness. Then the fake tail cap gets put over top that. Yes, it has the same look of a set tail.

Ah ok. I had no idea about the tail caps. Huh, learn something new everyday. :)

Latest posts

Back