Tail Rubbing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cretahillsgal

Reaction score
I have two yearling fillies that are constantly rubbing their butt/tail on everything. One is to the point that she has hardly any tail hair left at the top. Has anyone else had minis that do this to this extent and how do you stop it?

Deworm them with something for pin worms (among the list)

Give them a good strong dose!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have they been wormed recently? That can be a classic sign of needing to be wormed. My mare will also rub her tail when she is in heat.

You can also try washing and conditioning their tails, they might be dry and itchy.

Try a product from Shapleys called MTG (mane, tail, groom) it smells awful and works great.

I'm told they get a little mite in the hair folicle sometimes that makes them rub like that and this stuff will not only kill the mite, it also conditions the hair.

It could be a few things. My mare rubs her butt from time to time. I always check under her tail at the base. Sometimes crud builds up there. I take a wet cloth and wipe it off. Also, check between her teats (if these are girls of course). Often there is a cruddy build up there too. I wipe that away (she loves it and actually lifts her leg up for me to get right in there lol). After I've done all that, the butt-rubbing stops!

Thanks for all the ideas! I don't think it is a worm problem. I wormed with Equimax on 5/20/08 an then just wormed with Safeguard on 6/22/08. And it seems like they only want to rub the very top of their tailhead and croup.

They REALLY like it when I scratch them there and they tend to have alot of dry flaky skin when I scratch them there as well. I was thinking that maybe it is a dry skin condition. I will try conditioning them with my conditioner and if that doesn't work start looking for that Shapleys product!

P.S. Robin, Whispy is one of the mares and you know how much she likes to have her butt scratched anyways!!!
default_wink.png

If you're talking about boys they may need their sheath cleaned plus all the suggestions above. Also insect bites on the hind end...mosquitoes, horse flies, tick in the tail....soooo many reasons! Check for insect bites on the udder and between the hind legs.

Charlotte

could also be horse lice, one of the signs is the flaky skin, you can get a dust at the tack store that will take care of them.

Thank you for this tip Vickie! I went and bought some MTG today. Haven't used it yet but I am hoping it will work. Melody has been itching so bad! I have been washing her utter every two days and she seems to REALLY enjoy it but she is still itching. Hopefully it will work wonders
default_yes.gif

Try a product from Shapleys called MTG (mane, tail, groom) it smells awful and works great.

I'm told they get a little mite in the hair folicle sometimes that makes them rub like that and this stuff will not only kill the mite, it also conditions the hair.

Brandi, Melody might have sweet itch. Then it is hard to keep them from scratching.

What is sweet itch? The MTG bottle says it will take care of sweet itch
default_yes.gif

Vickie, your right this stuff does stink! Like bacon grease

Brandi, Melody might have sweet itch. Then it is hard to keep them from scratching.

I live in south Florida and had a similar problem awhile back. We have these invisible little bugs down here called "noseeums" (unsure of spelling). You absolutely can't see them, but I've been bitten by them, and they itch like crazy. Somebody told me to spray the top of my horse's tail with fly spray to keep these bugs off. I did it, and sure enough, no more tail rubbing. I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back