Tail Rubbing... *help*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyLilShowGirl

Reaction score
My colt always rubs his tail in his stall...which leaves the top of his tail with short "spikey" hairs (isnt the greatest look when showing..LOL). I know this topic has been mentioned MANY times...but, I have tried everything! Such as, MTG, worming him, baby oil, keeping "it" clean... nothing seems to work? Would this just be a habit? Any ideas from anyone would be great.. I would like to grow that part of his tail out
wacko.gif
...thanks

saludando.gif

-Kris

Last edited by a moderator:
try some flea powder. Especially if you have barn cats, etc... a horse can easily get fleas, or even lice (most powders will cover either). A few years ago, I had a problem with a few of the horses rubbing, and that turned out to do the trick. Remember also to apply the powder to the stall floor area as well (remove all feed, and water, tubs before sprinkling the powder). It only took one application for mine that time, but it may take a couple at approx. 2 week intervals. To cover the possibility of flea eggs hatching.

What about washing it with an anti-fungal shampoo? When mine have done this kind of thing, the thinks you've already done stopped it but I wonder if maybe a medicated or anti-fungal shampoo would help?

Take Jill's advice! There are many different kinds, just make sure it says medicated or anti-fungal.

Have you checked for LICE?

You can also use Gold Bond Powder for itch relief and hydro-cortizone creme for that too.

I used tea tree shampoo on mine after other things didn't work and he stopped rubbing. It has natural anti bacterial properties so I thought I'd give it a try since it works wonders on dogs who get hot spots. You just have to make sure that you leave it on for at least five minutes before rincing.

The Teatree oil treatment is a good one... I also use a 50/50 mixture of baby oil and apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle... spray it into the head of the tail and work it into the skin. Then comb through... the oil helps to moisturize the skin and the vinegar takes the itch out..

I also would check the flea/lice theory.. had a similar problem with a couple of horses that came into the barn a couple of years ago... and after the flea powder treatment and daily washing of their manes and tails with a fungal shampoo for about a week... the problem went away...

And I KNOW that you already know this, but sometimes some horses are extremely sensitive to any worms they may be harboring and will tail rub... and while I certainly am not suggesting he may be wormy.. (I know how well both you AND Mary Lou take care of your horses...) he may be alerting you to an early warning that he may be harboring a few...

Hope that helps and best of luck at your next show with your fabulous colt!!

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

MyLilShowGirl said:
My colt always rubs his tail in his stall...which leaves the top of his tail with short "spikey" hairs (isnt the greatest look when showing..LOL).  I know this topic has been mentioned MANY times...but, I have tried everything! Such as, MTG, worming him, baby oil, keeping "it" clean... nothing seems to work? Would this just be a habit?  Any ideas from anyone would be great.. I would like to grow that part of his tail out
wacko.gif
...thanks
saludando.gif

-Kris

455831[/snapback]

jdhand said:
MyLilShowGirl said:
My colt always rubs his tail in his stall...which leaves the top of his tail with short "spikey" hairs (isnt the greatest look when showing..LOL).  I know this topic has been mentioned MANY times...but, I have tried everything! Such as, MTG, worming him, baby oil, keeping "it" clean... nothing seems to work? Would this just be a habit?  Any ideas from anyone would be great.. I would like to grow that part of his tail out
wacko.gif
...thanks
saludando.gif

-Kris

455831[/snapback]

455907[/snapback]

We had the same problem and what I found was that my horse had lice and pinworms. We wormed with a paste wormer and then used the daily wormer. then I sprayed the tail twice a day with a good insect spray like zonk or any horse insecticide. Hang with it and they will stop. Our vet told us that if they still rubbed to worm with safe guard every 10 days for a month.

Wow! Alot of great ideas...Thanks!

I will definatly try these..and let you know what works.

I wouldnt think he was lice or any kind of bug..since I just clipped him and didnt see anything crawling around? Unless they are hard to see... but will definatly have to try these... thank you again
saludando.gif

-Kris

My yearling is doing the exact same thing, he's been wormed and I put Mane and Tail on it but I haven't cleaned "it" yet so I think I'm going to give that a try sometime soon LOL.

You might also want to try cleaning his sheath. Most boys don't seem terribly bothered by being diry but every now and then some of them are more sensitive to it and will rub just like a mare does when she needs cleaned between her nipples. Just a thought.

And even if they are younger doesn't mean they don't need cleaned. I had a weanling filly and 2 yearlings I did that with this year as they were rubbing. Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be.

Hey Kris, just to let you know, I never 'saw' anything either, but the powder worked, so I can only assume it was an external bug.

Just wanted to say that I obviously hadn't been reading close enough to see that "it" had already been cleaned
biggrin.gif
I'll try to pay closer attention next time
wink.gif

You mentioned that you wormed but have you also treated for tapes? I give mine praziquantel once a year to ensure I get rid of them too. Another thing I do is to wash tails in betadine scrub then follow up with MTG which disinfects the skin but adds back the emolients as well. Tail rubbing is so frustrating and it's just a matter of finding what works for a particular horse at any given time. What works now may not the next time, I've found. It's an endless battle trying to keep a tail in good shape. Sometimes I think they do it just to plague me--look mom I made it ugly just for you!
rolleyes.gif

Once you have made sure "everything" in the general area is clean, wormed for all possibilities, checked for bugs like lice and fleas--try a little regular(not the various "flavored" ones, but the old original)Listerine. It is amazing how well that can work! Just pour a little on and massage it in once every day or so-on the few occasions I've used it, once or twice seemed to do the trick-same with others I know who have used it.

Latest posts

Back