Tail Help :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie Iceton

Reaction score
So I just purchased another horse today
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
And I am really excited, he a yearling and I will be doin pics when I get out ther and take them
default_smile.png
Anyways I have a question. Thiss guy has a horrid tail. Like the top is so rubbed off its just little spiky hairs and it looks like a donkey tail basically..LOL I am wondering what the best thing would be to make that grow? I have a feeling he needs to be de-wormed some more hence the rubbing but I am needing some ideas on how to make his tail pretty again!

Thanks very much in advance

Get some Shapleys mtg (mane tail grow) put it on the top and massage into the bone. This regrows hair faster then anything I know and should make him stop scratching it. You may also need to clean his sheath as that can cause them to rub the top

Kaykay hit it right on with everything and also check for ticks. Every time one of ours start to rub I lift the tail up and usually the soft spot right under the dock there will be a tick. Some times down between the legs also.

I agree about the Shapleys.

The horse could have sweet itch, caused by mites, or it could have pinworms, which are not always easy to eliminate with regular dewormers. You might need something with Praziquantral in it.

But another thing to consider is that perhaps he doesn't have a tick or worms, but maybe it was just another horse from his former home that ate his tail. This happens from time to time, where for some reason horses will eat other horses' tails.

Once he's wormed.........bathe him and put some diluted Listerine on his tail base.

Mine had lice when I bought him, rubbed the whole top of his tail and hair on his dock, once I treated for that I used the Shapleys, he now has a beautiful tail. Good Luck, Kathy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back