Tail care in the winter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
I have 5 mares. All of them have yucky tails. In order to remedy the situation I'm going to have to go out with hot water and carefully wash them all without getting anything else wet.

I'm not looking forward to this!

So once I have them all back to clean, how do I keep them that way?? Help!

Once they are clean about the only way to keep them clean will be to braid and put them up in a tail bag. I have one mare that is horrible about peeing on her tail, she just doesn't lift enough.

Does anyone know of any good online tutorials/videos that show how to wrap tails well? It's one thing I haven't had exposure to up to this point.

I chop all my tails 1.5" above fetlocks at the end of show season so they grow in even. They look thick and fake by may! I prefer the thick banged stock style tails on my guys though

I braid the white tails on the mares, double them up and put them in an old knee sock that I cut down in four places to make 4 ties about 4-5" long. Then I pull a tie through the top of the braid and tie off with one of the other ties, and repeat on the other side. Photo of tail bag and finished product at a show.

20141216-bunny-01.jpg

Bunny_8_24_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been trying to use a tail bag on my mare's white/flaxen tail but she has a way of destroying anything on her--tail bag, neck wrap, blankets---ugghh... I'll try to keep it braided or get a large supply of tail bags for her to go through.

I use vetwrap. After the tail has been washed and dried, I braid it and fold it up. I do not loop the brsid through itseld as I find thatbis causes more breakage. I then wrap wetwrap cohesive bandage over the folded braid. It has always worked for me. I just take the tail down every few weeks so the hair can breathe.

Thanks everyone! I've got to look at my schedule and the weather forecast to see when I can fit this in. The farrier comes on Friday and I hate when I have visitors while the girls are not looking good :p

I braid them fold them over twice and wrap with electrical tape. I then find the electrical tape sticks to itself but not the hair no dame to it also cheaper than keep using vetwrap :)

Have the same problem, I've tried almost everything. (Tail wraps/socks still got wet then froze, braids still got wet then froze, and are hard to brush out)

What I tried last year seems to work the best.

Slather the tail with coconut oil or afro-am hair product. Twist and tie in one big knot. Keep it tied with a hair headband by wrapping (not too tight) on top of knot, down, and under the knot. Easy to undo, keeps it from getting wet, minimizes hair breakage.

I just so happen to have a huge jar of coconut oil right now. Thanks for the tip!

I've been using an aerosole product called Silverado Shine. I get it from Bit of Britain or SmarkPak. It has mineral oil in it and UV block. I can really tell a difference in manes, tails, forelocks since using it. It has no alcohol. It is an excellent detangler. Do not know if it is high-powered enough for a Show Tail, but I am pleased with the results for my horses.

Guard Tex is a great product for putting up tails. Unlike vet wrap it does breath some.

Latest posts

Back