tack question....somewhat of market research

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingChangeDesigns

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question, and was hoping that you all could give me some honest advice. I am going to keep this as general as possible, as I know advertising is not permitted here, and I am not trying to advertise at all, just find out if it would be worth it for me to pursue a different market. If some of you saw this over on the Shetland Pony forum, I apologize for the double post...I am just trying to get as much information as possible.

I make and sell blingy browbands for horses. What makes my browbands different is that with my browbands, the bling is interchangeable - the strands come off the browband and can be traded for other strands, so with one bridle you can have many different looks. In addition, the leather can be fully cleaned and the bling stays nice and shiny. I have thus far been selling my products to mostly the dressage and eventing crowd, but wondered if there is a market that I am missing, as I have had a few people at different shows ask me if they came in miniature size. Since I have all of my leather made for me, I could pursue having made smaller, but what I don't know is if there would be any market for this in the miniature world, as I have no miniature experience (aside from thinking they are incredibly adorable). I can have them made to work with a driving bridle/harness, but just wanted to get feedback before I invest money in getting some mini-sized browbands made and the expense of going to a show to market them, as this is a very small start-up business (from my basement), and I have limited funds for product development.

Thank you so much for your feeback!

Here are a very few examples of what they look like, so you can get the general idea, (and these are except the last two) are all taken on the same browband.

goldandpearl.jpg

thebronzeage.jpg

purplerainlong.jpg

hintofpink.jpg

3c213f3c82b9bf68b74f5398b2651b43.image.300x73.jpg

927cedd229445a3fa936396378866254.image.300x66.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help.

I could see this working on driving bridles, but, where I really think it would work is as a noseband on a show bridle!

How secure is it and how is it fixed on?

I could see this working on driving bridles, but, where I really think it would work is as a noseband on a show bridle!

How secure is it and how is it fixed on?

Thanks for the response! They are super secure. I have eventers that run cross-country in them, as well as grand-prix jumpers. The leather has a groove that the strand sits into, and the browbands fit on a bridle like a normal browband would. The would be able to fit on driving bridles easily. How is the noseband attached on the show bridles?

Are you from the UDBB also? I am so sorry that I forgot to get measurements/photos, if so! I am Sagenhaft over there.

I agree this would work on our show halters but on the nose band. visit the tack sites on Lil beginnings and look at the show halters there. I have a show halter with rhinestones on the nose band, love it, I also have some foal show halters with the beading. People will buy.

Personally, I think they would look SUPER as nose bands for mini or pony show halters.
default_yes.gif

I love them, I think they would look nice on driving bridles and on the nosebands of show halters.How expensive would they be to make in mini sizes?

Thanks for the responses so far :).

Sagenhaft - yes, I am OdhinnsMom on the other forum, and no problem. I understand how life always seems to get in the way :).

As far as the expense, I don't quite know just yet , as I am not sure how long they would need to be - which directly impacts both the bead and leather cost.... From the research I have done thus far, it looks like the nosepiece is around 6" or so?? My full-size browbands for big horses are $115, so they would be substantially less than that, obviously.

As far as the noseband is concerned, it seems that there are two types - those with a closed ring on the side, and those with an open ring. From just looking at the pictures, it appears that the nosebands on those that have an open ring can just slide off? Is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have bookmarked a number of browband sites, but few come in mini size -- so I would definitely be interested.

I'd be looking primarily for a driving bridle, but if you could size them for halter, too, even better!

THEY ARE PRETTY AND I WOULD BUY. ONLY I NEED A MINI SHOW HALTER WITH THE NOSE BAND. IF YOU DO DECIDE TO DO FOR MINIS LET US KNOW.

As far as the noseband is concerned, it seems that there are two types - those with a closed ring on the side, and those with an open ring. From just looking at the pictures, it appears that the nosebands on those that have an open ring can just slide off? Is this correct?
Yes, It is an almost closed and has a screw that is supposed to keep the noseband in place. I like this kind because if a horse needs a longer or shorter noseband you can make a more costom fit for your horse. IMO.

wow they are beautiful ! I would buy a show halter if they were avaialble

Yes, It is an almost closed and has a screw that is supposed to keep the noseband in place. I like this kind because if a horse needs a longer or shorter noseband you can make a more costom fit for your horse. IMO.
Wow, thanks! So I can just sell the noseband, and people could put it on their pre-existing halter? If that is the case, then making them into nosebands would be very easy.

The only concern I would have would be how much jerking they could withstand, because of the beaded strand. With a browband, they never get 'jerked' on. I have dog collars, and they hold up just find with the leash, even with a puller, but I don't know about how much 'bumping' people do with the show halter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks! So I can just sell the noseband, and people could put it on their pre-existing halter? If that is the case, then making them into nosebands would be very easy.

The only concern I would have would be how much jerking they could withstand, because of the beaded strand. With a browband, they never get 'jerked' on. I have dog collars, and they hold up just find with the leash, even with a puller, but I don't know about how much 'bumping' people do with the show halter?
Occasionally a horse will pull hard by rearing or just jumping back. They would need to be fairly sturdy. I don't know what you use to make the string of beads now but would fishing line in a heavier test weight work? They are very pretty!

Latest posts

Back