Swimming with Dolphins

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny

Reaction score
A serious case of cabin fever has got me investigating places in Florida that offer swimming with dolphins. Someone on here a couple of years ago had a super experience with a place there, but I don't remember who or where it was. If any of you can share stories or suggestions of where to go or not go, I would really appreciate it. I've looked at SeaWorld and Aquatica, and have read up on Discovery Cove. They all sound fabulous, of course.

I swam with dolphins at the dolphin research center down in the Keys and it was a truly amazing experience.

I swam with them in Cozumel and it was awesome!
default_aktion033.gif

One of my daughters lives in Florida and goes to Dolfin Cove alot! She and the kids love it and have sent pictures. Last two times I have gone I stayed at the Best Western in Kisseemmie,(bad spelling) I loved that hotel, they had a pool, and cabana with drinks, the rooms had a little kitchen. Have fun and post pictures when you get back so we can all be green with envy.

Thanks for the input, ladies. Discovery Cove is not available on the dates I'm daydreaming about, so I'll either consider the one in the Keys, or just do Seaworld. It's quite likely none of it will happen, but it's fun to dream.

My sister just did that and LOVED it. They got lots of pictures with the dolphins that was so cool. I want to go now

Myself and a friend went to Discovery Cove, it was so well worth it and when Ive had my kidney transplant and am off diaylsis Im going to go back to celebrate!

I was in FLorida for all of November and December and although we planned to get somewhere and swim with the dolphins we never got around to it. But I've done it twice in Mexico. I have a photo of me hugging a dolphin as it sort of "stood up" in the water. That was the first time I ever swam with them, and I was in tears in the pool because I was so moved by the experience! Just amazing!

I was in FLorida for all of November and December and although we planned to get somewhere and swim with the dolphins we never got around to it. But I've done it twice in Mexico. I have a photo of me hugging a dolphin as it sort of "stood up" in the water. That was the first time I ever swam with them, and I was in tears in the pool because I was so moved by the experience! Just amazing!
Sounds awesome, Sandy! Can you post that photo here?

Sounds awesome, Sandy! Can you post that photo here?
Well I could, but I'll have to find it first and then scan it and the upload it to Photobucket. I know it's somewhere in a big box of photos. It might take me a few days to find it and I've got a lot of stuff going on this week (including a colonoscopy, YUK) so if I forget you can give me a holler to remind me, OK?

Well I could, but I'll have to find it first and then scan it and the upload it to Photobucket. I know it's somewhere in a big box of photos. It might take me a few days to find it and I've got a lot of stuff going on this week (including a colonoscopy, YUK) so if I forget you can give me a holler to remind me, OK?
That's ok, Sandy. Just look after yourself!! I hope it all goes well for you.

I got to swim with dolphins in Mexico and what a beautiful experience! I have a picture somewhere of the dolphin giving me a 'kiss'. Just amazing-if you ever get the chance, definitely do it!

I went to Discovery Cove 4 days after it opened for business. That was many years ago, so I'm sure the price has gone up, but I'm praying the facility is better. I was shocked to learn that kids just had to "fill out an application" to work with the public/dolphins. None of the "dolphin keepers" had any experience with animals or any kind of degree, and only one of our "instructors" had life saving experience!! I'm a swimmer, so that part didn't bother me, but my mom (almost drowned when she was little so she's SCARED of water) was with me and we also had a minor child in our group, and they didn't require the child's parents to be out in the water with him. I couldn't believe the lack of safety rules, but like I said it was 4 days after they opened, so hopefully things have changed by now. The actual dolphin experience was pretty cool. We got 20 minutes in the water swimming with them, and about 40 minutes total with them for photos and things. I recommend the experience if you can do it, but please check into how the animals are treated and who takes care of them first.
default_smile.png

Great advice about checking about the care, and safety issues, etc.!

Sandy, thanks for posting your photo!! It looks like soooo much fun from everything I've read here and elsewhere. I hope it'll work out for us to go soon.

Latest posts

Back