-Sweet Lips died-

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini1

Reaction score
I know some of you remember my story from a couple months ago. My parents retired, I brought home the last 2 horses from their herd. One mare, who we thought was barren, foaled in mid June during the flooding in Iowa. Because the farm I grew up on was under water (parents sold it last fall), I decided to name the filly Circle S Bright Rivers Rising. Anyway, because no paperwork was submitted last year for the stallion (breeding report) I knew I would have to have all 3 horses DNA'd to get her registered. As it turned out, the stallion had been DNA'd a couple years ago so I just needed to get the mare and filly done. Mom and Dad are working on getting the appropriate forms filed with AMHA.

Anyway, Sweet Lips, the mare, died Monday night. She just laid down, went to sleep and didn't wake up. There was no sign of pain or struggle or thrashing. River is just shy of 2 months old, I left her with her mother yesterday and today we buried Sweet Lips in the pasture on a hill overlooking a pond.
default_no.gif
She was only with me for 10 months but I loved that mare. She was gentle and I was teaching my daughter to ride on her and she was learning how to care for horses with her.

Before we buried her, I pulled some hair from her mane, with the root bulb attached. It was hard but I feel I owe it to River to get her papers. Can I use the hair samples to get the DNA verified to get this filly registered? I didn't know if that was still used for this purpose or if blood samples were required. It's more important to me now than ever to get her papers if it's possible. Wondered what my options were.

Thanks for "listening"

Kelly

That must have been incredibly hard. But you did the right thing. I am sorry you lost her. But so happy she gave you such a wonderful gift!

Yes, DEFINATELY you can use those mane hairs for the DNA tresting. That was GREAT thinking on your part! I am so very sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png

What a great PARTING GIFT she left you with. (The filly)

I'm so sorry Sweet Lips died. Give the filly a hug for me!

I'm sorry to this day that I didn't pull mane hairs on my mare that we lost before we buried her. You were smart to have done that.

Good luck with your filly.

{{{hug}}}

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mare

she certainly left you a wonderful gift

so glad your answer on the hair samples sounds simple for her filly

Last edited by a moderator:
What a rough time you've had! But yes, you did the right thing by pulling your sweet mare's hairs.

I am so sorry you lost your mare. I do remember the story of the filly's birth. I too lost a mare this year and was left with her filly to raise (mine was only 9 days old when she lost her mother) and like you I pulled mane hair to be sure I could have her DNA'd. I am pleased to say the sample was recieved and the testing completed so little Dyna is on her way to having a history just as your little one will.

Sorry for your loss - at least Sweet Lips didn't suffer. Good thinking on pulling hair. I hate to say it but we did that on our stallion last year when he was going in for colic surgery - I was like wait just in case . . . not that I didn't think he'd make it but what if he didn't? A foal crop of unregistrable foals - yikes!

Sorry for your loss...please give that filly lots of love and kisses to help you both heal and grieve
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png
good thinking on pulling those mane hairs!!!
default_wink.png

Oh this is so sad, but you gift the baby her heritage..this is a good thing for her and for you to carry one her mum's memory and blood.

I too remember your story about your unexpected gift. So sorry that you lost your mare
default_no.gif
I hope everything goes well with your little one.

Barb

I remember your posts before. I remember thinking how wonderful that was. I am so sorry for your loss. I hope everything goes well for her filly. She gave you a beautiful gift.

I would send in the DNA on the mare a.s.a.p. It is my understanding that the hair doesnt 'keep long' after it is pulled. Smart move, but I would do it right away.

So sorry for the loss of your mare- maybe an aneurysm (sp?) or something? Sounds like it was swift and peaceful. Hugs to you all and poor little baby.

Oh my gosh I am SO sorry about Sweet Lips. I do remember your post about her surprise foal and she was a gorgeous mare. My sincere condolences.

Latest posts

Back