SWEET FEED OR PELLET

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockin r

Reaction score
I have had horses for 20+ yrs. I have always fed hay based pellet. For the last 4 yrs I have gotten into the mini horses as well. I give them the same pellet as my full size horses ( 14 percent ). I am lucky because all my horses are very easy keepers. Except the 1 I rescued, he requires more of everything, he only goes out at nite because he can't take the heat and he runs the fence line literally all day and screams where the mares pasture is, and he just drops the weight!! They also get a mix of berm & alf with every feeding. What do you prefer??

My preference is for the sweet feed. My reason is just because we love the smell of the molasis in it. Horses all love it too. I have plenty of good hay and more pasture than they can eat so have no need for a complete feed or pelleted hay.

after talking with robin C for me... NO sweet feed my horses dont need the extra calories they get whole oats no molasses added i just find they dont need it kinda like the difference between frosted flakes or special K
biggrin.gif

[SIZE=8pt]My show horses get 10% sweet feed and my stay at home moms get the Sr complete pelleted feed.I only have dry lots except for a little bit ow saw grass in the front lots. Three horses get no hay at all only the complete feed. The others that get the sweet feed get alfalfa cubes with it.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I love the Purina Strategy. Good for all, sucklings to seniors. I also do give some sweet feed still as they love it but it is more a top dressing with the sunshine plus.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a dry lot also, although it's not really dry, just cleared woods . We seeded with Orchard Grass, but it's just nibbles as they keep it nibbled off.

So Buddy gets 2 cups Safe Choice and SHortcake 1, 1/2c..twice a day. They also get 1/2 flake each 1st cutting grass hay to play around with. It's sorta stemmy so not much filler there but keeps them moving and happy.

Red block, black oil sunflower seeds, (just a smigen) and SHortcake gets soaked Beet pulp once a day as she's growing ans was malnourished when we got her.

That's it, fresh water too.

Maxine

I feed pellets....and they also get shredded beet pulp with molasses in it.

After caring for an Insulin Resistance horse (my senior Misty), my horses will never, ever see sweet feed again.

They are all happily on grass hay, timothy pellets, rice bran and soaked/rinsed beet pulp.
yes.gif

Never been a real fan of pellets here; we used to feed just whole oats, but those are too difficult to buy here now (you have to find a farmer to deliver, or one you can go & bag your own--feed mills don't sell whole oats) so we feed rolled oats (which all come with 1-2% molasses, depending on the batch. Horses that get any meds or supplements, or just as a treat...get sweet feed.

I don't worry about the sugar/molasses content, as most of our horses don't get much oats, so they're hardly overdosing on sugar.

Well, I guess I'll add my two cents also...

Both of my minis (yearling and 2 year old) are on grass hay and Progressive Nutrition grass balancer pellets. Both also get a little bit of BOSS.

I prefer pellets--sweet feed attracts flies and gets sticky during the summer, and freezes during the winter, if you are like me and don't have a heated feed room. Besides, I'm a HUGE fan of the Progressive Nutrition Diet Balancer, which only comes in pellets!

Latest posts

Back