Sweet Dreams

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlearab

Reaction score
unsure.gif
OK I need some help deciding what to do.

I have a very nice filly.. born to my farvorite mare Belle. I name her Sweet Dreams because she is just what i always dream of.LOL I know corny but it does fit her she is very sweet.

Any why I had at frsit put her up for sale, had lots of looky lous but no real offers. So I just decided that I would keep her...and marked her as not for sale. Started thinking of showing her and future foals!
wub.gif

Then a gal calls and offers me 2X my once asking price. I told her she is still not for sale, but she really whats her nad keeps asking. It would bo to a very good home.

Now I do not have alot of horses and had agreed to sell all foals this year. But hubby knows how much I like this filly and says it's up to me. But the money would sure pay a few bills I've ran up with my habit (AKA horses).

Would love to know what you all would do???

Do I keep my little Sweets?? Or make a dream sale???

Here she is... Sire is GMB breedingand dam is Texan's Play Boy.

scan0007.jpg

Well I look at it this way by what you have said here. First you speak about the money from this sale helping to pay bills. You then tell us that the person who wants to buy her REALLY wants her and this is a good home. Not to say this would happen but what if down the road you MUST sell and in a hurry because of $$ crunch, then she may not get such an excellent home as this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danielle_E. said:
Well I look at it this way by what you have said here.  First you speak about the money from this sale helping to pay bills.  You then tell us that the person who wants to buy her REALLY wants her and this is a good home.  Not to say this would happen but what if down the road you MUST sell and in a hurry because of $$ crunch, then she may not get such an excellent home as this one.
439911[/snapback]

Thats my thinking at times... if I sell her now she'll have a very good home. And there may come a time when I would have to cut back on mares. But it's that I have bills unpaid, just it would be nice if my horse habit paid for it's self one year.

Being ranchers and dairy farmer the up keep is not really an issuse.

But it's real hard to pass on the offer.. It's far more then I expected her to sell for. But like hubby says if she'll pay that she must be nice!LOL And I sold the sire and will not get another one of this cross.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just think about if she is your dream filly, how much would it cost to replace this filly??

If she is your dream then she would probably make an impact on your breeding program then keep her!

I have made that decision on my colt this year, he is just beautiful so I am going to keep him. I know if I sold him I would regret it. I don't want to live with that.

Good luck on your decision.

I agree with Nicole, how much would it cost to replace this filly? I have some people that want one of mares and she isnt for sale cuz I know it would cost me twice as much to replace her. Just a thought. Of course I want to keep them all and at some point someone will have to go.

Just ask yourself, could you live without her? If the answer is yes or even maybe then you may want to think about selling her, and maybe adding in your sale contract that you are to have first dibs if she is sold again. However, if you answer no then I think you should keep her. Sometimes you just can't live without that special horse and if she's your special horse than fallow what your heart is telling you and keep her! Hope that helps.

I agree with RAPFrosty-- can you bear the thought of selling her? Some of my horses, I just get SO attached to, it's nearly impossible for me to even THINK of selling them. Others, I feel wonderful when I've found just the right home for them, and I know that they will be happy, and it's freed me up some by selling them, financially. There are some that I've let go that it was wrenching to do so, but since they did go to superb homes, I was ok with it. And others that people have offered to buy and I have resisted with every fiber in my being, lol!

What does your heart tell you?

I also agree with Nicole..Your dreams can never be replaced, you might find another one that looks like her, but it wont be the same. I too have decided to keep my colt, Shooter. I could have sold him twice already, but he can never be replaced and I would regret it forever......FOLLOW YOUR HEART.....

I believe you have to take a long-term view. She is nice, and you state that she is your dream horse. So she is obviously something you wouldn't mind having in your breeding program.

Will the money you receive from her sale make a big difference in your life? What differences? Do those benefits outweigh what she can offer you as a broodmare?

I have several horses right now that you couldn't pay me enough and make enough of a difference in my life, to give them up. They are what I have chosen to go forward with on my breeding program--long term plans. For instance, there is Alladdin. Ok, I would sell him if someone offered to pay off my house. See what I mean? That would make enough of a difference in my life to justify parting with him. Pretty much nothing short of that kind of impact would get him from me!

In this present market if I had the "Master Copies" and some one offered me twice the price of a foal I had I would sell. You can allways produce another similar quality foal with the same breeding, dont you think?

If it is a good home, I would seriously consider her selling her. You could always put in a buy back clause if the new owner would want to sell down the road too.

Tommy

I agree with Margaret if you have the sire and dam you can always produce another one, granted it would not be the same but who is to say that the next one won't be better. The hard part today is finding a good home for your babies. First and foremost should be that IMO next would be the money and then finally will they help to promote your breeding program. Just my HO.
wink.gif

Listen to your heart. I need cash so badly, you have no idea, but I hug my Missy and just cannot part with her. If your heart says keep then keep. No amount of money can buy happiness. She's so sweet and pretty. Keep her.

littlearab said:
But it's real hard to pass on the offer.. It's far more then I expected her to sell for. But like hubby says if she'll pay that she must be nice!LOL And I sold the sire and will not get another one of this cross.
439925[/snapback]

There is that..... the sire is sold and you won't get another one of this cross. But-- are there even nicer stallions in the area (or one of your others) that could produce an even nicer foal than this one?

I've sold horses before that I had had no intention of selling, but the excellent home that they would be going to convinced me otherwise. I've never yet regretted selling those.

Then there have been offers for a horse that I briefly considered, but literally CRIED thinking of selling him, so I didn't. And am I ever glad I didn't!

We can't make the decision for you-- only YOU know how important she is to you, and what kind of home she would be going to. Best of luck with your decision!

Latest posts

Back