Susan and Missy, new kids on the block.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pritanio

Reaction score
Happy new year everyone.
1 year ago today I discovered the world of minis. It's a long story of how it happened but here I am one year later and in it up to my neck!

I leased for three months then in March started looking for a little horse of my own.

April found me in a stall with a little dunskin mare. She was more than I had thought to pay for my first adventure but she was the one.

Missy is 9 years old. Prior to coming to me she had been shown as a youngster in halter and had a little ground driving in a surcingle but that was it.

The owner where I board is an accomplished trainer and we started Missy in May. Over the summer we competed in a few shows and learned a lot.

A few months ago I started signing up for online work shops with Kendra Gale and it's been very helpful.

In mid December I had a total hip replacement and now I'm looking forward to a wonderful new year with my girl! Recovery can't come soon enough!

Resized_20200101_111516_4808.jpeg

This is Missy's other human getting the new year off to a good start.

Cheers,
Susan & Missy

Welcome @Pritanio ! It's great to have you here. So much information and beautiful minis :) Hope your healing goes as planned and you can get out to play soon.

A year later, surgery & healing were both successful!

Missy has come such a long way in the past 8 months since I started back with her. One of the biggest changes is with my new found confidence she trusts me more to keep her safe.

If something startles her she calms down much more quickly than before. We're taking more frequent lessons & for the first time I'm looking forward to trying cones & marathon with her!

Something else that is contributing to the improvement is a school of horsemanship called Ecole de Légèreté or School of Lightness.

Developed by M. Phillipe Karl it is based on classical dressage. I'm surprised at how applicable it is to our horses. Just one example is what an in-hand shoulder in can accomplish. The horse develops better hindquarter muscling, coordination and balance, all three which can benefit a driving horse.

2021 is looking pretty exciting for us. Good to be back. 😊

Latest posts

Back