Surrogate Mother to Mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Taylor Jo

I brought my mini (Polly) home and I had to put her between my two mares, my biggy and my mini. My biggy Velvet is 2.5 years old and my mini Nikki is 3 years old. I was leaving her in the stall to stay away from everyone though so she didn't bring anything in or they bring anything to her. Well next morning Polly is in with Velvet, so, so much for that. Then I put her out in the paddock that morning while I put the horses out front to graze and they all come over for a visit and help her knock a fence down and she gets out 3 days ago and I come out and she's grazing with them and sticking close to Velvet. Then we bring them in that night and Velvet herds her in.

Well ever since then her and Velvet have been like peanut butter and jelly. Velvet has become the surrogate mother to that foal. Where ever that horse goes or that foal goes they follow one another just like momma and baby. My son and daughter and law were out in the pasture trying to catch the baby and that dang horse was keeping the baby from us and chasing the other mini's from her. She'd take the baby and run away. I NEVER seen a maiden mare do that, especially a 2.5 year old. Just amazes me.

Nkki my 3 year old is really the least bit interested. She sniffs her but treats her like any other mini, but no motherly instincts, nothing. Really just doesn't want to be bothered, just don't get in the way of my food and that's about it. I thought it would be a female buddy for her, NOT. At least not yet, maybe when she gets older.

Last night I put Velvet up for awhile so the mini's and the baby could be together so they could just be mini's and she did fine without Velvet. During the day witht Velvet she plays with Dakota her half brother and they get along really good cause he's little too, I guess.

Has anyone ever experienced a biggy and a mini baby bonding before? I don't know that much about surrogates, so this is new to me. TJ

Yes, we had a 20 ye old appy mare that took over a suckling foal. She would even let the baby nurse (of course there was no milk) She herded the baby around and wouldn't let anyone else near it. He was HER baby!

That just amazes me. I've never seen anything like it. Last night Polly was in her stall in the barn and Velvet was out side in the paddock stading outside of Polly's stall standing with her head inside the stall with her head 3/4 of the way in watching over her. I was just in awe over that. Makes me want to cry. TJ

I have seen a number of Icelandic mares that will watch over and even nurse other mare's foals. Some of these mares had no foal that year and started producing milk when foal not her own started to nurse.

Only breed I have been around, that I have seen this kind of nuturing at this level.

Sounds like your Polly will be happy to take care of your little one.

Wow that's interesting. It's like they instictivly know what to do. Polly is one lucky little foal she's had a mini momma and now a biggy momma. Thanks, TJ

Latest posts

Back