Surprise foal this morning...leg question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
Bred this mare last year but due to too many meds prescribed by docs....didn't write down dates or who the sire is!!!! My bad! Didn't believe mare was pregs because all she did was get really fat. NO foal movement, squishy belly and NOTHING changed. Looked at her last night and because the udder expressed sticky fluid easily decided to put her up just in case. I raise mules and they are very protective of the herd. Anything new they attack, even foals. Boy am I glad I did. Went out this morning to find a new baby boy with momma.

He is a blue-eyed silver dapple. I think he has a problem though. His front fetlocks appear to be fused. He walks on his tiptoes and when I tried to flex his legs they don't give. What kind of issue am I dealing with? Will he be in pain all his life?

secret06.JPG

Front legs....

secret01.JPG

secret03.JPG

It is possible it is a selenium deficiency- it is usually slack pasterns caused by this but I would certainly run it by your Vet.

If it is tendons that are just too tight you will not be able to flex them, they should come down on their own, over time, so I really would not worry too much, since he can walk and is OK in other ways, Nature has a tendency to take care of her own....

Congratulations- and always listen to your gut!

He's adorable - congratulations! Hopefully with time his legs will loosen up. He's a cutie for sure!

Liz N.

could also be too much selenium, if you supplement routinely. you may want to have a vet exam him sooner rather than later. certainly if there is no change within the first 24 hours, they can still treat it if need be.

here is a good article, go to the start of page three...http://www.durangoeq...orn%20Foals.pdf

nice looking colt and momma

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like contracted tendons to me... I agree- check the selenium and I think you will find in a month he will be fine as frog's hair and racing around the place. Congrats on your new surprize!

Give him a couple, three days with room for him to move around. I bet you'll see improvement. One of our foals this year also was on his tippy toes and he was normal after two days.

If there's no improvement, the best way to relax contracted tendons is to wrap the lower legs.

Latest posts

Back