supplements/vitamins for pregnant mares?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luv2ridesaddleseat

Reaction score
My mare has been confirmed in foal, about 30 days now. She is overweight to begin with and is on dry lot. What vitamins and supplements do you give your pregnant mares and when do you begin?

I don't give any supplements. They get hay and complete senior pellets, with feeding more probably the last 3 mos of pregnancy. They do have access to mineral blocks. Deworm them as I would any other horse. 30 days prior to foaling, they get a 5-way shot then about 1mos after foaling, I give them their annual rabies and WNV.

Just make sure everything (especially your dewormer) is pregnant mare friendly. Thats a mistake mom made last year that made my mare abort a precious little one.
default_no.gif

I was supplementing my mares with Mare Plus until last year when I had several mares that made Ultra Rich milk that gave the babies horrible belly aches and diareha. The vet said that I already feed a very good food and my hay is very nice, there was no need to supplement. I feed Purina Strategy 12 % pelleted along with Beet Pulp and Orchard Grass Hay. Hope that helps. Oh, and I do increase the feed in the last trimester. And, as Jill said, it is so important to keep up with the deworming and immunizations.

Latest posts

Back