Supplements for ulcers....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I appreciate what you found online about ranitidine, I have to say that I have now used it about six times over a number of years, including for a full sized Paint mare, for whom an equine version was prescribed by my very experienced in-town equine vet, with obvious positive results. I will add that I have never paid to have a horse 'scoped', relying instead on the vet's, and my own, observation of clear symptoms consistent w/ ulcers-and the vet's agreement that scoping wasn't really a 'necessity'-at least in my horses as observed. In EVERY case, notable improvement was seen relatively, if not extremely, quickly upon instituting treatment w/ ranitidine. I actually don't recall whether I dosed the 'big' mare once or twice daily, but I do remember that he did have me keep her on it for three, possible four, weeks. The equine version were like 'footballs', and I *think* I gave 10 daily? I could go back in my records and check---that said, for adult minis of @ 250 lbs., I was instructed to give 9-12 tabs of 'human' formula ranitidine--75 mg. per pill; I once dosed a youngster THREE times daily w/ 7 pills/dose, but usually,I have dosed twice daily....my vets have ALWAYS instructed me to use that many pills/dose, BTW.( 75 mg/pill is the original OTC strength; now you can buy the human version in 150 mg. pills, but not sure if you can get that dosage in the generic version). I use a dose syringe, plug the tip w/ my finger, pour in a bit of warm H20(cool works, but takes longer to dissolve the pills), then a tiny drizzle (off the tip of a spoon) of molasses or pancake syrup(to mask the VERY BITTER taste!), carefully insert syringe plunger, let pressure off by SLOWLY removing finger, shake, let 'stand' a few minutes until pills are completely dissolved. Finger again over tip, shake well again, RIGHT before administering, squirt well back in mouth like dewormer, make sure horse swallows. I don't think my horses would eat that many tabs spread over their grain. Based on the vet advice I've received, I can't think that a pill or two or three(unless a tiny foal--who BTW, CAN develop ulcers, and if showing signs, should be seen by your vet, IMO) would be nearly enough of a dose. I have always also been assured by my vets that even in the unlikely event that the horse DIDN'T have ulcers, the ranitidine would not hurt them.

Just last month, I bought generic 75 mg. pills of ranitidine at Sam's Club; 240 pills for $ 5.87 or about that...I already had several days worth on hand, so only had to buy 3 of that size(though I might have had to get 4 if I hadn't already had some) for my most recent 'suspected' ulcer case(and seemingly, most severe, because it took him several days to get back to eating fairly well; I actually dosed him w/ 8-9 tabs/dose THREE times daily for several days, and took other measures, because for about a day and a half, he virtually QUIT eating....of course, I'd already taken him OFF concentrated feed, but I continued to offer some alfalfa, good grass hay, and soaked beet pulp....and sure enough, by the end of the day I tried all that, he 'turned a corner'....I continued to dose him for 4 full weeks; gradually began introducing U-Gard during the last week of the meds, so he'd be on a full 'dose' of that by the time he completed the ranitidine-he is now eating and doing every other thing, normally, and CLEARLY feels better. I extrapolated 'down' the U-Gard 'fullsized horse' dosage, using the provided measure-but I think I give each of the minis who take it(wt. of @ 230 and 250 lbs, + or -) about one T. or a bit more/dose.

In summary--I have had clear results w/ ranitidine, the way I administer it, and believe in it---that is my experience. To aid in daily preventive efforts, I am also satisfied w/ the U-Gard, and will continue to use it, too. Since the HORSE has no 'expectations' that the ranitidine will 'work', I don't think that what I've seen as clear benefits is just a 'placebo' effect! I do agree, though, that I would not 'substitute' straight kaolin for the formulation of the U-Gard just because kaolin is the primary ingredient of the U-Gard; it is NOT the 'same thing', IMO. It is ALWAYS a good idea to check w/ your own equine vet, of course!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do,

Margo

Thank you, Margo. That is very helpful. She loves to please, loves attention, and is very bold in trail class and now with jumping. Even my hubby, who is not a horse person, says he enjoys watching her because she seems to "use her head".

She just hates being stalled! She really runs circles and with her having ulcers as a baby I supect they are causing problems now. She only eats soaked beet pulp, a vitamin supplement, some ground flaxseed, and a 80/20 brome/alfalfa hay plus a brief turnout on pasture. No grains etc. so I'm guessing that she just hates being "inside".

It could be that. Does she pee when stalled?

I know thats a odd question but my ulcer horse just finally learned to pee in his stall in the last few months. He is 3 this year. He would refuse to pee regardless in his stall be for that.

It could be that. Does she pee when stalled?

I know thats a odd question but my ulcer horse just finally learned to pee in his stall in the last few months. He is 3 this year. He would refuse to pee regardless in his stall be for that.
Oh, yeah. She makes a lake compared to the boys and even when she can run in and out she still comes in to do all her business.

Once I finished all the carafate, I started him on U Gard powder. After the first dose in his grain( he didn't like it), he decide to eat it. I guess he figured that this crazy lady wasn't going to NOT give it in his feed. I put it in every feeding for a few months, then gradually stopped it over 2 weeks.

Robin

Latest posts

Back