Supplement...goes along with the oats thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobey

Reaction score
I talked to the Purnia people because I was looking for a supplement for my foundered mare. She suggested Purina Natures Essentials Born to Win. It is suppose to be easily digestible and they recommend giving it to horses with any kind of feeding problems. Anyone else use this? It is PRICEY but you use so little of it because it is a Protein, Vitamin and Mineral Supplement NOT a grain. After reading Robin's recommendations on supplements with oats I am thinking of switching everyone here over. What do you think of this product Robin??

Here is the info on it:

Crude Protein (min) 32.0%

Lysine 2.0%

Crude Fat (min) 5.0%

Crude Fiber (max) 5.5%

Calcium (Ca)(min) 3.7%

Calcium (Ca)(max) 3.85%

Phosphorus (P)(min) 1.6%

Salt (NaCl)(min) 0.5%

Salt (NaCl)(max) 1.0%

Magnesium (Mg)(min) 0.4%

Potassium (K)(min) 1.5%

Sulfur (S)(min) 0.35%

Manganese (Mn) ppm (min) 250

Copper (Cu) ppm (min) 182

Cobalt (Co) ppm (min) 6 or 8? hard to read

Iodine (I) ppm (min) 4

Selenium (Zn) ppm (min) 2

Zinc (Zn) ppm (min) 500

Iron (Fe) ppm (min) 800

Vitamin A I.U./lb (min) 24,000

Vitamin D3 I.U./lb (min) 2,000

Vitamin E I.U./lb (min) 350

Thiamine mg/lb (min) 30

Ascorbic Acid mb/lb (min) 50

I am very familiar with this Purina product. It is their version of a ration balancer. I think of this type product as the perfect food for most minis. It contains all the vitamins and minerals they need on a daily basis, plus a good dose of quality protein with the added amino acids of lysine, methionine and sometimes threonine (depending on the manufacturer). It can be fed WITHOUT oats as well as with oats. When fed with oats, the oats supply the horse with extra calories for weight maintenance/gain and/or energy. Most of my minis don't need the weight OR the energy. I do give a little bit of oats to my show horses and when I say little, I'm talking 1/4 cup. I know that goes against the grain (excuse the pun) of many of the show people who like to throw grain-grain-grain at their horses, but my horses are frequently in the winner's circle, so call me a rebel
biggrin.gif

For a foundered horse who should not be on any grain, this is the simplest, and one of the healthiest ways to get adequate daily nutrition into them, yet provide the low NSC (starch and sugar) diet that will benefit them the most. Just add grass hay. Go for it!!!! I think you'll be pleased with the results.

Robin C

Last edited by a moderator:
aktion033.gif
Thank you Robin!!!
worshippy.gif
We here at the forum are so very lucky to have you.

I am very happy to find a product that works well for my foundered mare too.

Just to throw in my 2 cents here, I use a diet balancer made by Progressive Nutrition. My breeding herd as well as all of my show horses are on it and I'm not feeding ANY oats or other grain at all and my horses look super!

Latest posts

Back