Super Mini horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClaraN

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to do some research on Minis and not just ask you all here. I came across some photos of very miniature horses that only look about knee or mid-thigh high. Are these very tiny horses considered Mini or are there such things as Tiny horses?

I hope some of the older members here can tell us about the tiny horses you saw pictures of. I guess they would be a lot less expensive to feed, but I wonder if they have more vet issues.

If I remember correctly, Minis are either under 34 inches or 38 inches depending on what registery they are registered with. The super tiny ones that you have seen might be dwarfs and yes, they do have many health issues.
Regular minis are prone to needing more dental care as there teeth can be somewhat crowded. And dietary issues are a concern as they can become too fat fairly easily and that causes problems.
A miniature horse is less expensive to feed, but their vet care and bills remain the same as a full sized horse.
Hope that helps!

Anything under 38" at last mane hairs, is considered a miniature. Miniatures are a height breed. It can be a Shetland, or any other breed or mix of breeds. MANY miniatures have Shetland in them and many are registered as both Shetland and Miniature. (AMHA~ 34" or under at the last mane hairs) (AMHR~ 38" or under at the last mane hairs) They could just be some very tiny minis as there are some very correct, very tiny minis, or they could be dwarfs. I have some small minis and had a couple fillies that topped out at 27" and were very correct and not dwarfs. I also know some others who have had very correct, very tiny minis. :)

Latest posts

Back