Sunscreens? Sun Protectants?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinisOutWest

Reaction score
Thanks for the help on the whitening shampoos!!! I am buying about 6 different name brand bottles and doing a test while bathing for these next shows. I will post my results after Nationals to let you know how the shampoos were put thru the Angela brutality test.

My new request, because I have never owned a pink skinned face and pink body horse.

What sunscreens, sprays, etc, do you use to help protect your minis at the shows and at home after the shows?

I am keeping UV sheets on, keeping under tents and in the trailer at the shows. And at home-only goes out when the sun is down behind the mountains and kept in the barn isle during the day.

But Phantom started to become pink at the last show and I only had him out for 4 halter classes. And I cannot afford to have Beau Beau's little buddy burn, if I can help it and still be able to show......I would like to find a good reliable spray/ lotion.

Colorado is known to have outdoor shows and being so high in elevation, it is brutal on our and the horses skin.

Thanks again for your input. It helps a lot!!!!!

Sounds like you're doing all the right things.........

We live in a "high desert" area. Our pink skinned nosed horses get swathed with Human Baby Sun Screen. I don't worry about their bodies because their fur.......but their exposed noses are very vulnerable.

What blade are you body clipping with? Anything that takes the hair shorter than a #10 should NEVER be used for a full body clip on a horse w/ pink skin underneath, in my strong opinion(actually, I don't believe anything that takes hair shorter than a #10 should be used for a full body clip on ANY horse.)But, especially in the case of mostly white/pink skin underneath, horses-- I don't think most judges really 'want' to see a pink horse!

I am at 6600 ft. I have to use a human # 50 'Sport' sunscreen on the muzzle of my gelding w/ a bald face, and he hasn't been clipped in ANY way for years! And, I let him into his stall between @ 10 AM and 3-4 PM. His little muzzle turns BRIGHT pink if I don't do this EVERY day.

Probably not what you, as a 'show person', wanted to hear-but absolutely my feelings and experience.

Sounds like you are doing a lot to try to help; have you considered just not clipping quite so close to a show, so the horse has a bit more time to 'grow back' some hair?

Margo

I use the sunscreen made by Healthy Hair.

It works and it smells nice.

My guys have never gotten burned when sprayed with this product.

It's not greasy and it lasts for SEVEN DAYS !!

Tell Phantom I'll have a bottle for him at Tulsa.

Justine

I use a #7 to clip the horses with......not even a 10.

I do not razor them either, they go in with white hairy noses. Remember my Pinto World photos......

Up here, I am between 9400-9500 ft depending on what side of the property I am on........

Thanks Justine, I will try what you have. And will start trying some very high SPF sunscreens too.

Latest posts

Back