Sunscald from clover

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdomep

Reaction score
I took some pictures of Apache's worst spots from his photo sensitivity due to eating clover
sad.gif
Vet said she had never seen a case this bad up here in PA (lucky me
rolleyes.gif
) She did say she saw it in Florida a lot due to another type of plant.

patchskin.JPG

patchskin2.JPG

She came out today and gave him a steroid shot (and 2 extras for me to give Sunday and Tuesday)

My poor boy.

ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
That mess is very typical of horses left outside in Florida in hot hot hot humidity and rain and then run their noses along the damp ground too and when they pick their heads up, boom, sunburn. I had no idea it's related to clover since there wasn't any in my neck of the woods there at all. I'm surprised to hear that. See, I learned something new today. Does the vet think it's fungal? Looks nasty, but I guess you know that.
wacko.gif

You poor things! Are you having a fit?
wacko.gif
I'd use some bedadine shampoo on that and some Aveeno products from the drug store and smother that mess on him with zinc oxyide mixed with desitin and keep this boy under a fan during the heat of the day.
biggrin.gif

I hope your guy is feeling better soon!

Thank you for posting these pictures. Until just now, this is not something I was even aware could happen (not that we even have pastures now, but maybe one day...). Thank you for a little educating.

Marty said:
ohmy.gif

ohmy.gif

ohmy.gif
That mess is very typical of horses left outside in Florida in hot hot hot humidity and rain and then run their noses along the damp ground too and when they pick their heads up, boom, sunburn. I had no idea it's related to clover since there wasn't any in my neck of the woods there at all. I'm surprised to hear that. See, I learned something new today. Does the vet think it's fungal? Looks nasty, but I guess you know that.
wacko.gif

You poor things! Are you having a fit? 
wacko.gif
  I'd use some bedadine shampoo on that and some Aveeno products from the drug store and  smother that mess on him with zinc oxyide mixed with desitin and keep this boy under a fan during the heat of the day.
biggrin.gif
I've heard of this before and my understanding is that the clover causes the horse to be photo-sensitive and burn severely when they normally wouldn't. I don't think the skin problem that results has anything to do with fungus or needs to be treated topically with anything but soothing meds and lots and lots of TLC! Poor pony.
ohmy.gif
517.gif

That's a beautiful horse, by the way.
wub.gif

Leia

It isn't just clover
rolleyes.gif
mustard weed also causes this my new sheep all had some sunburn caused mostly by the mustard weed.......I don't have any so they are getting better.....many plants and medications cause photosensitivity (antibiotics are a common one St. Johns Wort, certain vitamins in high enough doses)

poor baby hope it heals up fast.

I had a horse eat senecio weed - was in the hay. This caused the same reaction. Everywhere she was white she shedded her skin - it was actually like leather strips hanging on her. Pretty sad looking. I would rub her down with Equine Therapeutic Lotion to help soften her skin and was also good for sunburn.

The vet said it had effected her liver and that caused the photosensitivity. She did recover where as a colt that ate the same never did fully recover as his liver was too far gone.

Hoping the best for your horse in making complete recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does any one know if it is a certain type of clover that can cause this problem? I have heard about this before but not familiar with it. We have quite a bit of white clover in our pasture and never had any problem. Mary

jdomep said:
I took some pictures of Apache's worst spots from his photo sensitivity due to eating clover
sad.gif
  Vet said she had never seen a case this bad up here in PA (lucky me
rolleyes.gif
  )  She did say she saw it in Florida a lot due to another type of plant.
patchskin.JPG

patchskin2.JPG

She came out today and gave him a steroid shot (and 2 extras for me to give Sunday and Tuesday)

My poor boy.

435407[/snapback]

What is the other type of plant your vet saw this with in Florida? We have had some horses get noses like that on very rare occasions but usually when it was very, very wet out so we thought it was some kind of fungus and it cleared up right away so maybe it was from something in their hay. We buy our hay from a hay clearing house and it comes from all over the country and we never really know where the has is from because it changes with every batch we get. Scary huh? But down in Florida where we are you have to use hay that is shipped in and it doesn't come regularly from any one place.

Ginny Long

Alsike and red (crimson) sp? are the ones I had in my pasture - both can cause this- it is from a fungus that groes on the clover. She drew blood and his liver function is fine. Yes from my understanding many plants can cause this - She told me to put desitin on it and goop him up good and to keep him in during sunlight hours. I am not sure of what is in Florida.

Latest posts

Back