Summer's here! I'm quilting!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnbum

Reaction score
First, a wall hanging for my horse loving 23 year old niece--she and her fiancé just bought a new house, so it's a house warming gift. The ragged flannel for their wedding gift will get started soon. I don't like the looks of the far right tree--so my quilting buddies suggested to add some quilting there, which I'll do tonight. The binding is pinned, I just have to sew it on the back and add a hanging sleeve.

Oh, she doesn't have a horse of her own right now, and she loves Jazz....

(Updated photo with that tree issue fixed....
default_wink.png
)

IMG_5878.jpg

IMG_5867.jpg

And a quilt top I call "Wild Thing."
default_biggrin.png
The binding will be the blue flower fabric making the large squares. It'll go to the quilter's in a few weeks..and will be added to my pile for the November craft show.

IMG_5868.jpg

IMG_5871.jpg

And, this is the pile of Civil War era reproduction fabrics I've collected to make my husband, a CW fanatic, a quilt using a pattern from that time period. I told him it'll most likely be his Christmas present; I have so many wall hangings and table runners to finish first.

IMG_5873.jpg

default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
default_laugh.png
Wow Karla! That's amazing.
default_yes.gif

That 'Wild Thing' is really good too, those colors remind me of a nice summer day.
default_yes.gif

Ash
default_saludando.gif

Very nice I loooovve quilts. It must be great to be able to sew like that. The horse is really great. The barn is so crisp.

Oh and I love the textures.

You can't help but love the sunflowers but oh my gosh would you look at that awesome first one. I don't see anything wild, but I do see serene..............just makes you want to curl up under it and relax with a good book and look at Jazz in the barn!!!!! Nobody does it like you Karla! How about making some fall and winter table runners?

Oh Karla, I just love ALL your work! I remember you posted one similar to "wild thing" in more orange tones and I loved it then! The colors in this one just pop at you and are sooo viberent! I love it!!! I'm also a big Civil War repo fabric fan!! LOL!! I cant wait to see what you have planed for those! Have you ever done anything with the repo Feed Sack fabric? Thats another favorite of mine, but I have not done one with it yet. Just wondering! LOL!

Great job!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Leya

Marty--the wall hanging is tiny--wouldn't cover both legs unless you held them together.
default_biggrin.png
It's 1/4 the size of the barn quilt I already made. (Photo on my website of it hanging up on a wall. My quilter said it's still her most favorite quilt she's ever quilted. )

All the table runners I've made so far are spring/summer like--so thanks for the idea on fall/winter!! Fall epsecially would be easy. I have a pattern I love--and will investigate more as soon as I wrap up some of these projects.

Someone on the quilting forum is asking for a price on that sunflower top not quilted--she's a quilter, so can finish it herserlf. Pricing is so hard.

If they keep selling now I'll never have enough for the craft sale! :DOH!

Maybe that's not a bad thing?
default_biggrin.png

Edited to answer Leya--I just recently discovered the whole idea of repro fabrics! There was a CW quilt posted on the quilting forum and it got my attention because of Mark's strong interest in that time. Then I started my hunt for fabrics. There are no specific sections in any places that sell fabrics around here--I think they're all mixed in, so I got them all on-line. That was fun--but tricky--some don't appear the same color as they really are, and I'm very picky about color.
default_rolleyes.gif
I'll have to check out the feed sack fabric.
default_smile.png

yep it's the same here for repo fabrics! I had to buy mine on line too! I had a tough time matching them also, blues, greys, reds, burgandys, but none really matched perfect. Then some odd ball colors that did not match anything! So I just turned my odd balls in to a scrappy kind of quilt and .... well lets just say it does not match anything but I love it!! LOL!!!

Karla

You already know how much I love your work and how envious I am. Beautiful work and I would say anytime you can sell one go for it even if you are short for your craft fair. I havent been to the forum for a few weeks but love looking at all the wonderful work there and what a great group of people. Beautiful as always.

Nita

Thanks Nita.
default_cheekkiss.gif

Leya--the pattern Mark chose is a scrappy one, which is why I had to buy so many different pieces! (I used the $ from the last quilt sale to get them all
default_yes.gif
). I showed him the choices and he picked this one:

http://www.bonniebluequilts.com/detail.aspx?ID=859

Then I went to a quilt show nearby last weekend and saw this one there:

http://qnm.com/articles/feature207/index1.html

So--I'm pretty sure I have enough for both. I've never spent this much on fabric for a quilt! But, he's worth it.
default_wub.png

The second one is a free pattern in acse you want to print it off.
default_biggrin.png

Wow! They are gorgeous Karla! You talent is just amazing!

OMG!!! Karla those patterns are wonderful! I'll definately print and save the second one but I have to admit it's a pretty intimadating pattern to me!!!!! LOL!!! Hey if it's not strips or plain squares I'm intimadated!!! LOL!!
default_wacko.png
default_wink.png
You have to post pictures when you get either of these CW ones done!!!

Leya

Latest posts

Back