Summer Time Cook Out.........

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxi'sMinis

Reaction score
Say you were cooking your specialty summer time foods for that someone special
default_wub.png
or a picnic for a group.
default_eat.gif

What dishes would be on the menu?
default_drool5.gif

My main dishes would be a great steak about an inch thick or talopia and extra large spiced shrimp, also some sauted scallops.

My sides would be this awesome local corn on the cob, sour cream red potatoe salad, Amish noodle salad, watermelon, green garden salad with mixed greens, tomatos, cucumbers, avacado and honey mustard dressing or dressing of choice.

Iced tea or wine cooler

Dessert would have to be devils food cake with a touch of cream cheese butter cream icing.

Home made ice cream any flavor.

Uuuumm yum.
default_thumbup.gif

What's going to be cooking at your house this summer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since we currently are having SUMMER weather here in Ky this is what I just grilled... Flat iron steak, potatoes baked in the microwave then rolled in olive oil, salt, lots of fresh ground pepper & garlic powder then put on the grill to crisp up the skin. Fresh asparagus spears straight from my garden also rolled in the garlic oil & seasonings & grilled until crisp tender... ............. Yellow squash and bell pepper strips will replace the asparagus as they come in ( rolled in italian dressing first).

Knockwurst cooked in beer and saukerkraut is one favorite that everyone loves at my July 4 cookout.

The other is my summer salad. Cubed pieces of tomatoe, onion, celery, red and yellow pepper tossed with basil, olive oil and a splash of vinegrette, sitting on toasted Bobali bread and topped with cubes of buffalo mozzarella, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Light and delicious.

Those all sound great. Our two favorites are what my family called Dunkle burgers, after our friends and neighbors who introduced us to them. You take two patties, put a slice of onion and a slice of cheese (my mom used blue cheese for hers. yuk). Put the patties together, wrap the entire thing in bacon using toothpicks to hold the bacon on. My dad used different numbers of toothpicks for each kind so he would know which was which. Cook on the grill. These puppies are THICK and hard to eat, but so juicy and good.

Another one we do a lot is shish kabobs. Cut up the meat, beef or chicken, then slice onion, green pepper, and add cherry tomatoes and mushroom. Marinade them in advance, or even better let everyone build their own, pick their own marinade and cook their own. They are so good and since everybody does their own work, it makes it really easy.

Mmmmmmm, they all sound yummy.
default_eat.gif

Yesterday I made a homemade pot pie. It was delicious but not really a summer type recipe. If anyone would like it PM me and I'll be glad to send it.

I am pretty basic ... give me grilled burger w/ cheese and mayo ketchup mustard on that, Potato salad and baked beans
default_eat.gif

every summer we make taffy apple salad. everyone goes nuts over it. Its a really strange recipie but tastes somehow like a candy apple. It has pineapple, peanuts, cool whip, corn startch, eggs and cut up apples. Its soooooo yummy. perfect summer salad

Oooohhhh, man, do I love to eat!!!

If I were making a cook out menu, we'd have:

My dad's BBQ chicken (it's out of this world)

Locally grown corn on the cob

Broccoli salad

Scalloped potatoes

Yeast rolls

My mom's Eclair cake

AND

Plenty of regular and low-carb Mojitos

bbq27.gif

Mmmmmm! It ALL sounds so good!!

What is "flat iron steak"?

I was flipping channels earlier today, and caught a program where the guy was making a caesar salad, but with a few small and interesting twists. The bread he used for the croutons was some kind of crispy Italian bread which he brushed with olive oil and grilled for a minute until it was toasted. He even grilled the romaine lettuce! Also brushed it with olive oil first, and he said it gives the lettuce that nice grilled flavour, too. I would never have thought of doing that!

Krogers started carrying them here a few years back. I don't buy any other kind of steak now.

Flat Iron Steak now appearing in grocery stores and on restaurant menus. Though a flavorful and relatively tender cut of meat, the top blade roast has a serious flaw in the middle of it; an impossibly tough piece of connective tissue running through the middle. So, after developing a method for cutting and presenting this steak, scientists have presented to us an amazing cut of beef. More than that, they have developed a nearly perfect steak for the grill. The Flat Iron (supposedly named because it looks like an old fashioned metal flat iron) is uniform in thickness and rectangular in shape.

This steak has a deep, rich flavor which makes it perfect not only on its own, but also as meat for many dishes. The Flat Iron is very similar to any of the Flat Steaks so anything calling for Skirt or Flank Steak will benefit from a Flat Iron Steak. .

track one down and give it a try. You might just find your perfect steak.

Steak, burgers, chicken. Grilled asparagus tossed in olive oil and salt and pepper, and grilled sweet potato. Mmmmmm. Huge fish fan, too. Cedar planked fresh salmon on the BBQ. MMMMMMM....

How fun!

My families signiture dish when ever we have a summer party is a Pig Roast! We usually butcher it the day before and marinate overnight.... If you are wondering then the answer is Yes, we raise pigs from start to finish. We have to have at LEAST 4 to 5 pig roasts a year. I LOVE it. If it is a really special occassion than we will deep fry a turkey that we raise also.

For sides I will have guacomole (spelling?) stuffed cabbage (my family is polish so its a must have) baked beans, ceaser salad, waldolf salad, mexican white rice with peppers and cheese, Broccoli spinich casorole, asparagus from the garden, mashed potatoes, Amish friendship bread, and shih bobs

For desert everything is homemade

cheesecake 2 inch thick, chocolate chip cookies, three milk cake, cinnimon rolls, and sugar free devils food cake.

YUM!! now im hungry and have to make myself something to eat haha

We're having a heatwave here in southern NJ and so I bar-b-qed this past weekend. I usually do up a rack of spare ribs, baked potatoe, whole grilled sweet onion, corn on the cob, macaroni salad and baked beans. On hot days dessert is usually fresh fruit on some kind of angel cake or cherry pie...if we grill in the fall it's usually a chocolate cake or some kind of pie...maybe blueberry.

every summer we make taffy apple salad. everyone goes nuts over it. Its a really strange recipie but tastes somehow like a candy apple. It has pineapple, peanuts, cool whip, corn startch, eggs and cut up apples. Its soooooo yummy. perfect summer salad
Kaykay I would like your recipe, sounds good.

We have a meathouse here in town that has the most awesome filet mignon cuts. We cook those on the grill after marinating with several different spices. Baked potatoes, shrimp cocktails and croissants!

DESSERT! Death by Chocolate...
default_new_shocked.gif
. Ingredients... One chocolate cake, 2 boxes chocolate jello pudding, cool whip, Heath chocolate bar. Directions: Bake cake, cool... In a very large bowl, put chunks of the cake, spoonfuls of pudding, cool whip and sprinkle in chunks of Heath Bar... Enjoy! with your favorite meal and a big glass of MILK! or other fav drink.
default_thumbup.gif

cheesecake 2 inch thick, chocolate chip cookies, three milk cake, cinnimon rolls, and sugar free devils food cake

I have been looking everywhere for a sugar free devils food cake recipe, if you would love to share it I would appreciate it. Thanks

Latest posts

Back