Summer, Annie, Flower, maybe in foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very sorry sorry to here this. And I too hate rattle snakes. I feel like some animals have adapted a little too well (venom,poison frogs,spikes, lion fish)

Yeah it pretty much broke my heart
default_sad.png

Ok everyone!! While we are waiting on summer.... Next is my new mare "Flower" and her story!

So Flower is a 12 years old, 30" mare. I got her only a little over a month ago. And at the previous owners home a stud got in with all her mares last July 13, she gave her the abortion shot lutalyse on July 23. When I got Flower she did come in heat (I have a gelding she liked lol) but it was not a long heavy heat. So I notices today her belly looked really different! The pics on the left will be 3weeks ago, the pics on the right is from today. (Sorry she needs a bath) Tell me please what you all think!!! Could the shot that the previous owner gave her not have worked and she be pregnanat???

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

I know nothing about the abortion shot, but I don't think they fail very often. maybe she's having a false pregnancy? Maybe someone else will have some answers. She does look suspicious.

She is definitely lopsided, but I don't believe the shots fail very often. But she sure appears like she's pregnant. Maybe she had a visit from her mystery man after the shot?

She bears watching for sure. Have you felt or seem any suspicious 'foal' movement?

The previous owner told me that it was the neighbors stud and he was getting out all the time.. And she only saw him get in with the mares that one time... So I guess you never know! She has all the mares on a 100 acre pasture so maybe he snuck in one time without someone knowing!? I will ask her if she thinks that could have happend.

My sister felt something very suspicious today! And also on the one side that is sticking out more it felt weird like something was laying against her tummy. But I couldnt say for sure : /

What would you say Mindy???

I would almost bet you'll have a little one. Some pictures in a few days will let us keep comparing her changes. I wouldn't think a false pregnancy.... it happens but is rare. So I'd treat and feed her as if she's pregnant just to be sure.

Yes! Very suspicious!! I could have swore I felt 3 little thumps but I can't say 100 % sure it was a baby bump. But the way her tummy was sticking out on the one side and it felt weird... makes me think she is possibly pregnant. I was also thinking that the stud could have gotten back out after she got the shot again and even if he didn't get in the pasture with them, it could have easily happened through the fence. She told me that he had been out several times when she told me about it. :-/

Last edited by a moderator:
If he'd been out and they were on a 100 acre pasture, I'd bet you have a pregnant mare! Once those studs learn they can sneak away to the ladies, they'll keep doing it!! I was also reading that the shot has to be given during the right window?

She does look suspicious.

Ok, so the story of "Sunday Surprise", don't know how much is a tall tale and how much the truth, also can't remember if it was at the boarding barn in Montana or Colorado (think it was in MT), anyway... The story goes, owner didn't know her mare was pregnant, checks on mare one Sunday morning and surprise there was a filly in with her. They had come from California, and they believe a mustang stallion jumped the paddock fence and bred their mare, then left the same way; they did know there was a mustang herd in the vicinity of their property. So, if there is a will, there is a way.

Very interesting story! Yes if there is a will, there is a way!

The lady told me that the neighbors sneaky little stud is now a gelding! She is very happy about that! (He got out again the other day and that's how she found out)

I will treat her with special care Diane! : D and get new pics for you in a few days!

Amanda, I also saw a lady on a forum say that a stud got in with all her mares, she gave them all the shot and sure enought she had a lot of foals the next year! : O

Wow, she looks pregnant to me. I don't know anything about abortion shots though. She's a pretty mare for sure.

Cute mare! Looks kinda like 2 of ours and hmm, on the day after my boy got out for 2 hours!! Wow, wonder what the moon was doing during that time frame??

So we follow your girl at the same time as we follow mine...

Yes Paula! And I might have one more mare! : O lol but I'm thinking she is not b/c she came in a very long heavy heat....I will post about her later if I see something that make me think I need too. For now we are watching Summer and Flower : )

Back