Summer, Annie, Flower, maybe in foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyGoldenSunny

Reaction score
Hi all! Now that we can not change our title to our post I wanted to combind all of mine into one.

First up is Summer, 7 year old 33" mare. She has had one foal before 2 years ago. She was in with a stud the last week of June. And she was in heat but I never saw them breed. She has shown to be in heat a few time since then but has not come in heat recently. Last week I noticed her bag changing and her belly growing. She would be around 8 months along if she is in foal. What do you guys think???

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

She is so pretty! Looks a lil round to me. Maybe just healthy. You know I have no idea! Lol. I am new to this whole thing. I love her color'

Yes pregnant. To me. The larger rounded area in the front of the knee is what I'm looking at. But don't hold me to it
default_smile.png

Bag changing and tummy growing are good signs. Looks like the start of udder development to me. If you can post the same pics in a week or so, we may see further progress happening.

Be interesting to see what others think. Hoping she is in foal for you
default_smile.png

I am on the fence, she looks like she could possibly be bred but she looks pretty hairy in the picture. Do you have any before side views and before udder pictures?

Thanks Kim! She is my baby doll!!!!

I will try and fine some pics from a while back but I only started taking the "pregnant" pics last week. I really didn't think she was in foal at all, till the other day when I was giving her belly a scratch and felt her bag. I was schocked to see her getting a bag! : O Called my sister to come and look so she could tell me I was making it all up lol nope my sister said she is getting a bag too. (Summer was my sisters when she had her first foal) so therefor I have no udder pics till now : /

So I think I felt a baby moving about in Summer's belly yesterday. And she has milk, my sister came over and checked to see if she had any and she did. So???!!

Here are some updated pics! For comparison.....

First pics are from March 17th, second ones are from yesterday March 24th

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. She is still pretty and round. Maybe some knowledgeable ones will be on here soon.

I see some changes in her bag, looks like baby on the way? I think she's still within the timeframe to do a wee foal 120 if you wanted to.

This was the pretty girl who was with the stallion the last week of June? Was that the only time she was with the stallion.... for 1 week, or longer?

Yes Diane this is her! She was in heat June 27-29 give or take and in with a stud, I never saw them breed. She was in with him a few months before that also. So what do you think???

If she was with the stallion at the end of June she shouldn't be showing an udder increase until around (approx) end of April for an end of May (approx) foaling?? But if she was with him "several months" earlier, then she should have foaled by now - can you check on that "several months earlier" date for us please.

Ok so here is the story about summer...... : /

Summer was my sisters horse. last year she was getting out of horses and I told her I wanted summer. Well summer had a colt 2 years ago....the stud colt stayed with her till he was about 16 months old. After they came to my house the stud colt went to a new home. This was not a planed breeding!!! That being said I know she was in heat the end of June with her colt still with her, no one ever saw them breed. So if she is pregnant I really only know that much. I guess he could have bred her before then? But I'm just going by the last time she was in heat with the colt around. She has shown to be in heat a few time after he left also, so that made me think maybe he never bred her.

Sorry I was worried to post the "details" : /

Don't be worried, stuff happens. Also people purposely breed mothers to sons and fathers to daughter. More common on second combo though. And a lot of grandsire to granddaughter. Nothing to worry about here
default_smile.png

Whew Ok thank you Rebecca! : D so do yall think she is further along then I'm thinking?? Or maye not pregnant at all??

As Rebecca says, never worry about posting anything here, we are all here to help not to cast blame in any way. Summer may not be pregnant but with colt's being furtile from approx 9 months on, it is entirely possible that she is. Many mares will appear to be in season even when in foal so forget your June dates for now and concentrate on any dvelopment of her udder for the moment as this is likely to be your main indicator for her possible foaling date - approx 4 weeks after the udder starts increasing. At the moment I wouldn't check her udder every day (little differences are difficult to see on a daily basis) but check every 4 days or so as this will allow you to see any changes more easily. And post a picture of your checks if you can please so that we can watch with you.

Thank you so much Anna!!! And thank you for the great advise and about the dates! I'm thinking if she is in foal she is closer to foaling then I think. Yes please watch with me! : ) I REALLY don't want summer to foal alone, I must be there with her! I'm so worried about miniature mares foaling.

So here are some updated pics

First pics(left) wil be 5 days ago, second pics (right) will be from yesterday

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back