Suggestions Please....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcwallis

Reaction score
So does anyone have any suggestions for quick growing, evergreen that would provide a natural wall? I don't want to walk outside our door the next 20 something years and look at the neighbors pile of crap they will never clean up!!

So we need to hide it with something.. It should be horse safe just in case the horses get to it..

Please offer suggestions.... We live in Zone 5

103.jpg

European Olive, Sunburst Honeylocust, Black Pine (ours grew from 12 inch's in pots to 10 footer's in 5 years) I always use driplines and water the heck out of trees the first few years. We always end up moving to places with no trees. We are also zone 5.

They don't do much for the winter. But, We had a lilac hedge. The bushes were planted about 3 feet apart and then they were watered (a lot at first). They do require watering in August no mater what. Here is a picture.

jessieandstevie.jpg

After about 3 years these bushes were about 10 feet tall and had spread into each other. This was down a fence line to separate the neighbors view. We live in the Reno, Nevada area.

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't do much for the winter. But, We had a lilac hedge. The bushes were planted about 3 feet apart and then they were watered (a lot at first). They do require watering in August no mater what. Here is a picture.

jessieandstevie.jpg

After about 3 years these bushes were about 10 feet tall and had spread into each other. This was down a fence line to separate the neighbors view. We live in the Reno, Nevada area.
What a cute picture... and I LOVE LILAC BUSHES!!! That 2 or 3 weeks of fragrant blooms!! WOW... We had a lilac bush when I was young..

Also, I do not think Leyland Cypress Trees are hardy in zone 5 - and could be toxic to horses

As with any trees, plant them outside the fence as the horses may strip the bark and such, which kills them.... We have an old cedar in the pasture they never bother with, except for itching themselves on the branches and for shade..
Unfortunately we can't plant them on the outside of the fence.. Thanks for the suggestion

Cedars work really well in this part of the country and the ones Mary Lou pictured grow well here.

check with your county extension agent.If your area will tolerate them Leyland Cypress will grow faster than almost anything.I think they have even been used as forage in some areas, but better check.My son planted some with some pines and they grew 2 times as fast.You can trim them and they come right back.As said before just don't plant them too close together.Double row staggered works best for privacy.

Latest posts

Back