Suggested Purina Feeds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, we went back there this evening, and I spread a lot of her hay, all over her paddock, so she would have to sort of "graze" for it. I have around a month or so of the other feed left, so will go to that other feed store and see about getting the Purina Equine Adult one.

It really sounds as though you are doing your very best for Halo, she's a lucky girl to have such a caring owner!
default_yes.gif

As she is going to be living in her smallish paddock, perhaps it would be sensible to put the hay in small piles around the edge - I wouldn't want you to be wasting your hay by spreading it all over, as per my suggestion previously, because she will pee and poo over it (unless she is a very clean girl uses a 'toilet area'!). Dont forget to look for a good quality mineral/vitamin 'lick' for her as well when you go to find out about your new food supply.

Giving her as much exercise as you can in the evenings will be great - long 'walkies' are good for us humans as well! LOL!!

If her pen is dirt, you might want to put her hay on rubber mats or something and her not be wiffering in the dirt to graze her hay. She'd be ingesting dirt along with the hay.

We've fed Horseman's Edge by Purina for many years
default_smile.png

I guess I should of been more descriptive.
default_rolleyes.gif
I put most of her hay into a feeding tub, and just put tiny piles in an area of about 8 x 8 ft. There are no mats there and I wondered about her getting the dirt too, so....I may not do that anymore, as I noticed she has figured out "grazing" on her own...she found some grass under the fence. Her paddock isn't really that small. It, of course, isn't like being in a big pasture, but it is a nice size, that I can even lunge her in. And yes, she will get nightly/evening walkies and anything else I can come up with, to keep her entertained and exercises. I had her at a place with more to do, but my friend's parent's got worried about liability and asked us to move Halo. I asked if I could sign a waiver, but they said no. So that is why I had to move her again. This is all I could find, on such short notice, and so close. But will be keeping my ears and eyes out for a place with other mini's, that is just as close, so I can still see her on a daily basis. But this is a really nice place, with some beautiful horses, so they sure know how to take care of them. We are just trying to get settled and figure everything out. I do plan on switching her to a Purina feed, and go from there. I want to make this as easy for us as possible, with winter coming. Didn't want to need her feed, and not be able to drive the 45 mins. to get it, if weather wasn't allowing it. Thank you for everyone's input. It was so nice yesterday...her first day at her new place. I was able to see her 3 times, in one day! And each time, we stayed with her for 1.5 to 2 hrs. She looked so happy to see me coming, that many times. As before, if I left, that was it for about 2-3 days. I could only afford the gas for 3 days a week, but when I would go, I spent 6-8 hrs. around her. If I wasn't doing something with her, I was sitting near her, talking with friends. Going to miss some of that,, but seeing Halo everyday, is going to be so much better for her and I. We have really come a long way in the last 2 mons.

I'm so glad you get to spend more time with her now. I know how much you wanted that!
default_thumbup.gif

One thing, I can't find, is the ingredient list of Purina feeds. Can anyone directed me to a link for that? You can send it to me privately, as I don't think we can share links on here like that. I would like to know before I go to that other store, and have a decision on a couple of them, so I know what I want. Thanks!

I don't know if you'll have much luck with that, Purina doesn't list their ingredients on their website. You might google the products you are interested in, sometimes the ingredients have been listed on different horse forums. For example, if you want to know for Strategy; google "Strategy ingredients" and hope for the best. [Although, depending on how old the forum discussion is, the list may or may not be accurate, so some feed companies do change the ingredients over time; but you'll still get an idea.]

That didn't even bring up anything. So, I guess I will just have to read bags, when I go to see what that store carries. Thank you.

If you speak to a purina rep they can tell you plenty. My feed store has a "talk to Mike" (their purina rep) where you can discuss any ingredients, feeding recomendations, which feed to use and why and for what horses. Purina loves to help and give out information. I am positive if you contact somebody at Purina they can put you in touch with one of their feed experts. Our store is Oxford feed and lumber at the Grain and hay location in Pa. and I have gotten decent information from their feed expert.

Purina does change up ingredients from time to time depending on availability and they do this to produce a feed that tests consistant. Depending on growing conditions etc your individual ingredients in feed can vary because they have to adjust and tweek to bring you product that tests within tolerable limits. Like plus or minus 1% protein content etc... find a purina guy to chat.

PS, not saying Purina is perfect and I don't always feed it. I like triplecrown too, but chatting with the purina guy helps me understand the other feeds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back