Suggested Purina Feeds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMiniGal

Reaction score
I currently have my 2 yr. old on the feed, that the previous owners have been giving her. To get it, it is a 45 min. drive, one way. Which was fine, as my mini was in the same area. But I have the opportunity to move her a lot closer to me...8-10 mins. away, and will be able to see her on a daily basis.
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
Anyway, a local grange store carries a lot of the Purina feeds. Was wondering what would be a good one to switch her to? And would I need a supplement with it? So any recommendations would be great.

I don't ever feed a supplement unless a horse has a dire need for it such as for arthritis, biotin for a hoof problem, or an extra bump up for a broad spectrum vitamin. All this stuff people add for hair coats, ugh...not for me. I feel as long as you are feeding a good quality of food and do a proper de-worming, the shine should come from within.

That said, I've raised plenty of horses on a variety of Purina brand foods from Purina Jr. to Senior and everything else in between.

Strategy will put the pounds on. Miniature Horse & Pony will take it off. The Omelene's are good but I have a hate for sweet feed so you won't find any of that in my barn. If I had to choose from what Purina had to offer, I'd go with Strategy and keep a watch on the weight, don't add a supplement. Just my humble opinion.

Halo is perfect, with her weight. I don't want her going either way...don't want her to lose, or gain. I was thinking I had read many fed Strategy. The one I don't think this grange carries is the Purina Miniature and Pony one. Thank you...sounds like the Strategy, I wouldn't have to feed as much as the mini and pony one.

I just feed a good quality hay for my youngsters along with the Equine Jr. If your mare is two now she could probably go with the Equine Adult. It is a complete feed also.

Not sure this place carries Equine brand. I want her to have a feed...I think that is what is keeping her at a good weight. She will be boarded, and they supply the hay. So I feel to just make sure she gets what she needs, I want to give her a feed.

If you're in a Selenium deficient area like I am, I would also suggest adding the Purina Natures Essentials 12:12.

Oh, I thought Equine, was the brand. LOL Sorry.

I don't think we are deficient in that, as I have never heard anyone mention it, in our area.

Thank you, for all the replies, so far.

Can you tell us what she is currently on? There is likely a Purina equivalent, so the switch wouldn't be as drastic for her, if you are happy with what she is currently on.

She is currently on TDI-16. So far, what I have read on the Purina website, Equine Adult sounds the best. Not as high in fat at Strategy and not as low as the Miniature and Pony one.

I don't know if its still on the Purina website, but I downloaded a feed chart for minis from Purina awhile ago. Its says to feed Purina Adult at the following levels:

Active Pleasure Maintenance: 100# mini - 1.8# Adult; 200# mini - 3.2# adult; 300# mini - 5.3# Adult

These are the amounts when fed as a complete feed.

Performance amounts are slightly higher.

These amounts are for adult minis.

Probably could feed lower, since we aren't super active..been too hot and we have had smoke from fires for several weeks now. So been playing it pretty easy. Will get back to walking and trotting her, and lunging, possibly...the place I am going to, I haven't checked out all corners of it, to see where I can do that yet. I only lunge for up to 5 mins. each way, when I have done it.

Chanda, thank you for these amounts.

Obvously you will have to take into consideration the amount of grass she will be getting at your new boarding place, plus the quality/amount of hay that will be supplied. but the main thing to remember is that unless you feed the full recommended amount of any feed she will not be getting her required amount of vitamins and minerals etc. This is where an added 'balancer' is useful to bring those 'essentials' up to the correct levels.

Ok, thanks. What kind of balancer, would be recommended? I know, Purina has a supplement, and I would probably be able to find it at this feed store too. She won't be getting any pasture time, and will mainly be on grass hay, and feed. So, I will give her the amount that would be for her weight and adjust if she gains or loses weight.

The difficulty (in my opinion) of no pasture time is that one has to emmulate the natural trickle feeding regime of the horse. As you know the horse is designed to be on the move a good deal of the time, nibbling/grazing and browsing whilst roaming along.

To be out in a dry lot with a pile of hay or a haynet to eat out of will give some outside time, but little exercise. Some folk thinly spread the hay around the dry lot so that the horse moves aound whilst 'grazing' the hay, which works quite well to provide the natural 'movement while grazing' regime - any chance that you would be able to do something like this for Halo during the daytime? If she will be restricted in her outside time (not sure of the set up at the new place) will you be able to get over there daily to give her extra exercise?

You are right to watch the amount of hay that she will be given, but remember that you still have to try to get as near as possible to a 'trickle' feed regime for the safety and the proper working of her digestion - not so easy when hay/feed is given at teatime and then nothing more until breakfast the following morning! Perhaps you could invest in a slow feeder bag/net for her hay to help it last longer? I have never used one, nor even seen one, so cant advise you as to type, but I'm sure others will be able to help.

I am lucky enough to have the land available so my tribe live out all year round - just having ad lib hay put out in the worst of the weather - and I admit they are fat little piggies! LOL!! So when any of the girls are being bred from, they simply get a balancer - plus ad lib overnight hay - when they come in at night during the last month of their pregnancy, which I then continue to feed while they are in at night for the month after they foal - once babies are a month old and strong and healthy, they and their Mommas go back to living out 24/7 and the clycle continues for another year. The balancer I use is a Gro and Win one, which I think you can get over there in the USA.

By the way, I would love to see some updated pictures of your pretty girl .............. please.
default_yes.gif

We got her moved and my husband and I went exploring, and found an area, that I can let her graze, while on halter, when I am there. Otherwise, there is no turn out area. I was thinking of a hay bag for her too. Will talk to the owner of this place on Tuesday.

I stopped by the feed store and all they carry is their brand, and Moormans and Associate. I've never heard of those, so will read up on them. Otherwise, there is another feed store, within 15 mins. from here, that does carry the Purina. So I will still be able to get it, fairly close.

Oh, my profile picture is a recent one of her...just taken last week.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, forgot to answer...I can't go every morning, but I can go every evening, and can spread her hay out for night time. Would I do that, even if it was raining? Her paddock is granite so shouldn't get muddy in winter. The paddock is big enough to lunge her in, and I plan on bringing some poles and other toys and a tarp to put on obstacle course in her paddock for when I am there too. I can have several things, so I can set it up differently everytime. There won't be any bridges or carwash, but I can come up with other, easy things that I can move around and have it not take up a lot of space. Plus just walking her down the road, for exercise too. Right now, we are to wait 4 wks. until the last of the smoke is gone, before getting their lungs too active. So we only have a couple more weeks, until then, but we don't get that active anyway. I don't run her, when Iunge. Just mainly walk/trot/canter a bit.

I really enjoyed this topic as I'm always wondering if I'm feeding seven correctly. Right now I'm still using the mini/pony feed. Seven is six years old now. My older big boy can't have grain anymore so I've mixed in the senior feed I had left over because I didn't want to waste it. The mini feed works well, seven doesn't put on any weight with it. His hay is spread around so he will "graze" in his drylot.

Latest posts

Back