Stupid Old AMHR Breeder

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVern

Reaction score
Just found out from my director that it is true that the 100 fee to hardship into AMMR is to be continued for 2013. Guess that is what majority want.

So I have some advise for beginner miniature horse enthusiasts. (My advise, not my directors)

Whatever you do when you are buying or raising miniature horses, is be sure they are AMHA registered. Be sure that the stud reports for any bred mare have been filed. Don't worry about the AMHR. You can always slap them into AMHR for 100.00.

Keep your AMHA paperwork up to snuff. AMHA stands strongly behind it's breeders.

If you have one that looks show worthy then you may want to slap them in, because AMHR is the place to show, but otherwise there is no use doing the other stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I understand what your director meant I strongly disagree with them. We have shown AMHR in the past but are now concentrating on AMHA.

We prefer AMHA now because we have no interest in showing against or breeding Shetlands.

(nothing IMO wrong with them they are gorgeous also, but our interest lies in the miniature horses)

So for our interests we would be sure they are AMHA registered and would take advantage of the AMHR hardship as of now to have our horses doubled registered. But will be more interested in AMHA for our breeding program even though there are no shows within a reasonable distance to where we live now. We can place them with a trainer who will get them there for us as traveling over night to show is not a real option for us right now.

Personally I would be careful with taking that advice. As I understand it this is still only a sale, there isn't anything saying you will be able to get R papers for $100 even two years from now. It might go back up to $100/$400 for 2014.

What if-- and I've heard a few people talking about this--what if in the not too distant future the hardship fees go higher than $200/$400. What if AMHA horses then have to be inspected prior to hardshipping? Then I think people would wish they never took Lavern's advice!

Just something to consider. The possibility is always there!

Edited to add--I am glad Lewella posted her clarification; I knew that thr OP was Renee's opinion, but had started wondering if everyone else understood that.

I am Renee's director and I quote the exact wording of my email response to her question as to if the Hardship sale was continuing for 2013: "Yes the hardship sale was extended through the end of 2013." The rest is strictly Renee speaking HER opinion!

Don't worry about the AMHR. You can always slap them into AMHR for 100.00.
Yeah, but if I keep up my paperwork I can register that foal for TWENTY dollars, no charge for a stallion report. And he keeps his pedigree, unlike a hardship, where he'll lose it.

You know, you never have anything nice to say about AMHR anymore. It's getting old.

LaVern, have you had your morning coffee yet ? Please don't call yourself a fool !

Yeah, but if I keep up my paperwork I can register that foal for TWENTY dollars, no charge for a stallion report. And he keeps his pedigree, unlike a hardship, where he'll lose it.

You know, you never have anything nice to say about AMHR anymore. It's getting old.
I'm with Field Of Dreams here. Staying on top of registration in AMHR is cheaper than hard shipping everything. And this is a SALE not normal fees. And, negativity gets you nowhere. I would rather buy a horse from a breeder that promotes the registries and is positive rather than one that continually says "the registries think my horses are worthless so, so do I"... And others may also feel the same way.

That sale does nothing for those lovely B-size horses. I love my Bs, so buying an AMHA registered horse and hardshipping isn't likely to happen.

You gotta keep up with that AMHR paperwork, its so much easier to register them as foals.

I am sorry if I didn't state that clearly. The post is my advise, not my directors. Sorry if I was not clear.

But I have to repeat, that I think I am one of, if not the biggest fools in the history of AMHR breeders. I have tried to fight for the straight AMHR registered horse for too long. Sadly, I have to finally admit AMHR, is in my opinion, a hundred dollar flop house for Fabella breeders, Shetland Pony breeders and AMHA breeders.

I should have listened to Lowell. He said,

"Tall for show

Little for Doe"

"AMHR for Show

AMHA for Doe"

Added - Yes, Field of Dreams, It is getting old and so am I. But maybe there does come some wisdom with age. You gotta know when to fold em. I have fought a loosing battle, They are "only amhr horses and no amount of my shooting my mouth off is going to change that.

Keep fighting, I love my straight AMHR miniatures. I'd have more, if hubby would let me, but he says a dozen is enough. [What does he know about how many minis is enough.
default_whistling.gif
]

I like both registries and I too, dont feel that negativity gets anybody anything but more sour grapes.

The sale doesnt benefit B sized horses? Really? What about all the large A sized horses that outgrow their papers? And there are a lot. Hmmmm.

I like A's and B's. I prefer to keep my herd 34 or less and double registered. If I am adding something, I am first and foremost going to add something that is double registered so I dont have to hardship into one or the other. I have had to a couple of times in past years, but only because I liked the horse enough to do so.

In MY opinion, having an under 34" horse that is only A or only R is limiting your market value to HALF of what it could be as a breeder - as many people like different things- some show only R, some only A and some both. Why not cater to as much as you can??

Sad fact of life, the AMHA breeders are breeding for a tall horse to win in the show ring, they see that said young horse is going to go over, so they sell. They don't bother to register into AMHR so the cost is passed on to the buyer! Another Sad fact of life, the "B" miniature can't compete in the show ring against the ASPC/AMHR miniature, so many new people become discouraged and give up. Now on the bright side, you can buy an AMHA registered mini, hardship it inot AMHR and breed it to an ASPC/AMHR horse and possable result in a show stopper! Just something to think about!

The sale doesnt benefit B sized horses? Really? What about all the large A sized horses that outgrow their papers? And there are a lot. Hmmmm.
If you're an honest buyer and seller... The new owner of an AMHA over horse wouldn't be able to honestly transfer AMHA papers to hardship AMHR, as being over papers should be turned in. If the horse is a youngster, before going permanent, you would be able to transfer AMHA and then hardship AMHR, true.

But, if you like B-size minis to start with; how many really want to pay membership to AMHA for a transfer of ownership just to be able to hardship to AMHR. If the horse is already registered AMHR, there is only one membership to deal with.

Well I would consider myself an AMHA breeder, since all mine are AMHA, and I do HOPE they dont go over, but it's also a 'sad fact of life' that they do, LOL

But there ya go Riverrose- that's some food for thought.

Every breed I have ever been involved in seems to go through different 'fads' or styles every few years. The problem with keeping straight R as they are, and I personally see nothing wrong with them, so I am NOT bashing them in any way, is that they apparently are not the 'fad' lately, so are not 'winning'. Here's another sad fact of life though - nothing would ever improve if it wasn't changed in some way. If you are willing to stay the same all your life, you are going to 'fall behind' and just be stagnant. Nobody is showing horses that looked like they did in the 70's, or the 80's or the 90's. Things are constantly changing. Shucks, look at the styles of clothing and hair on people during each of those decades of showing, lol

Do I think AMHR's should look like a Shetland? No, because if I wanted a Shetland I would buy one, but things still change anyhow. We may not agree, but unless you are willing to 'keep up' with the 'latest' then ..........??

If having Shetlands beating out the R's in an R show is upsetting all the R breeders/showing people, then close the books and dont any more Shetlands to cross register.

I liked the original look of the 1965 Ford Mustang, and by doggies, they have gone and changed it a bunch of times!

If an A horse goes over, yes the papers should be canceled, however to hardship that horse into R, you must send in a copy of those A papers, as well all know. So you make a copy, send that off to R, do your hardship and then you cancel the A papers. It's a pretty simple procedure. However if your horses are already double registered, you simply cancel the A papers and continue on with the R that you already have.

JMO

I love my AMHR "only" horses.... I love the AMHR registry.. I am happy they are doing this for another year, I just wish they had done it a few years ago when I hardshipped an AMHA "only" stallion into AMHR.. Sure would have saved me some money.. Oh well..

If i happen to run across a horse this year that is worthy of AMHR hardship, you can bet I will be happy to save the money... Yeah AMHR !!

I can see that I am in minority, and that is the way it works. Majority rules. I guess I just will have to figure out what to do and which way to go.

Hi, Diane, You are so right in my opinion. Yours are very wonderful marketable miniature horses. Mine are not, as they are just old B horses that can never be anything but that. I was so foolish to ever think they were worth anything.

And yes it is getting old, but I don't give a hoot.

Hi, Diane, You are so right in my opinion. Yours are very wonderful marketable miniature horses. Mine are not, as they are just old B horses that can never be anything but that. I was so foolish to ever think they were worth anything.

And yes it is getting old, but I don't give a hoot.
Stop it, you have some of the nicest horses out there. And, those of us who love those B miniatures, love exactly what you have. I have no shows anywhere near me, so showing isn't an issue for my preference, but size is... I love the Bs and make my straight miniature.

I know your frustrated but everything you are saying is going against your breeding program. It's a shame really. I was for this hardshipping sale this year (2012) but to extend it out I think is asking a lil much. I still wish they would give members relief by lowering their membership fee. We need more members! This sale will do nothing for me, didn't this year, nor next year.

I wish the members had a voice in this at Convention, I wonder how this vote would go. I also think after this sale the hardship fee needs to up, like a lot. AMHA will be closed, AMHR will be the only miniature registry allowing hardshipping, so no more sales, must go up in price. I agree with LaVern's feeling in a way, perhaps not in those exact same words lol. But with AMHA closing it's really limiting my choices and it's just a lil too late. I will continue to stay with AMHR depsite the direction it has taken and enjoy with what matters to me the most.

Now lets just enjoy our minis no matter how they are papered.

Thanks Chandab. I love those old B girls too.

I'll just add one more time and then shut up for the night, the kids tell everyone I've had a stroke so they aren't so embarrassed when I go on.

I just want to say, that the cheap hardshipping doesn't do anything for the AMHR miniature horse, it in fact devalues it. It seem that we should do all we can to make our AMHR horses seem valuable.

It does add value to the AMHA horse. 100 your in.

It does add value to the ASPC pony. 100 your in.

It does add value to the Falabella. 100 your in.

I helps everyone except the AMHR only breeder.

Latest posts

Back