Stupid Old AMHR Breeder

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living in a province that is mainly AMHA l am glad that AMHR had this sale..as of Nov 12 l've hardshipped 14 mares and 1 stallion into the AMHR which saved me a lot. Now that l see this sale continues through 2013 l might still do the rest of the broodmares making whats left after cutting back to half the minis all double registered...crazy in a way but who knows what the future holds up this way the day might come when all AMHA have a better chance of selling as double registered..l remember when l went ahead and did both of my farm prefix at 50 bucks a pop and then within months without much warning the price went what l now consider pretty high.

Good Morning, I got a call, and I don't think the person is very reliable, but she said that she heard that they were talking about dropping it to 50.00 next year, so maybe you should wait. Course maybe it will be free the year after that.

A Miniatute Horse is a horse under 38" it's not really a breed yet and really it doesn't make sense to not call a horse under 38" a miniature

Oh, another word to the wise. Be aware that if you do hardship your horses into from AMHA to AMHR, you are perhaps cutting your own throat. Once you do it, you have to keep it up. AMHA horse can be hardshipped any time, but AMHR horses can't come back in if the proper paperworkd has not been done. They must have stud reports sent in and all the other stuff.

Keep the AMHA stuff up and knock 100.00 off to clients.

Lavern, I purchased two mares from Dakota miniatures,they are both your breeding. I was thrilled to get these R only mares( I have always admired your horses) One is bred to an AMHA/AMHR stallion the other to an AMHR/ASPC stallion I can't wait to see the foals from these mares they will be R foals I don't think it hurts AMHR only breeders that the hardship price has been droppped. In todays economy a lot of people have put off registering their AMHA horses into R and now they will be able to. If a horse goes a little over 34 inches it should not be treated as if it was worthless ,now people will find it easier to turn to AMHR for breeding or showing that horse.

This is inaccurate....you can file late stallion reports, there is no age limit on registering Miniatures, horses not made permanent by the end of their 3 year old year can be brought permanent later for a mere $5 extra.

In any case a responsible breeder DOES keep up with paperwork. If they don't, and for whatever reason they then cannot get things brought up to date and obtain registration papers for their horses they have only themselves to blame--that's the case for anyone breeding the B size horses (no option there to register with AMHA and hardship in) and so there is no reason why people with A size horses cannot live within the same parameters.

Bitterness...especially when it is expressed to potential buyers and the general public...will cost you more in business than this hardshipping sale will!

With memberships having dropped off so much in the past few years (from 11000 at the peak to just 4500 this year is what I heard somewhere) anything that brings in membership and registration revenue is a good thing for the registry! It is good business sense.

Got you on this one Minimor It is very accuate. AMHA horses don't need a stud report. AMHR horses do.

25 years of trying to do everything. It is my biggest fear that I would ever do anything wrong.

Bitterness sort of, Saddness for sure.

How can you compete with your own registry?

These horses are nothing without there registration papers, and if our registry says that they will sell them for 100.00. that tells me what they think of the AMHR breeder.

I can't figure out for the life of my why our AMHR officials like AMHA breeders and ASPC breeders and Falabella breeders more than me and other AMHR breeders. Guess that is the way it is.

Another one bits the dust. Renee LaBarre Reiten Lucky Hart Ranch Petesburg N.D.

Yes, I am well aware that AMHR requires a stallion report. But, if you miss sending one in this year you can still do it next year. No big deal, just $25 extra....I know this because I had to pay it once when a mare I didn't know got bred (loose stallion) turned up in foal. <and yes, since then if a stallion gets out, or the mare gets in with the stallion, I send in a stallion report just in case>

Honestly--if a stallion report is too difficult for a breeder to cope with then that breeder shouldn't be one.

Thanks for the advise, I should not be a breeder of AMHR horses. I'm sick of doing stuff that AMHR says is not important for my competition to do.

Am I missing something here? AMHA does make you fill out a stallion breeding report and you have to pay for it! AMHR yes you also require to fill out a stallion breeding report and its FREE! As long as you get it within the time period other wise you must also pay. I don't understand what you are saying? AMHA you have to pay higher fees to do any registration work. AMHR is more reasonable with their prices.

AMHR is a height registry. I think a lot of people forget this fact and try to make more out of it than there is. What the person taking advantage of the lower hardship fees is doing is increasing the value of that horse for possible use of that horse that was not possible before. I took advantage of the lower fee this year to hardship into AMHR, had plans to do this anyway, it was just icing on the cake. I really do not see myself looking for a horse this year just so I can hardship it cheaper now.

There are certainly many points being made regarding the philosophical aspects of this decision and many carry some degree of merit. Their is however something that in my opinion is fundamental to this decission and that is the impact and justification. The original decission should of been made with certain specific goals ie. increase income , increase membership, enhance marketability, some considerations for improvement other then just sounding good at the time. Now it has been in effect for 1 year and has been renewed for another year. So where is this documentation or spread sheet or financial report broken down to explain and justify the continuance. Perhaps I am alone but given the facts and understanding of what has been accomplished by this " sale" I might better accept any negitive impact that I might perceive.

I was at convention and saw or recieved no such information and I do feel its important enough that the general membership should have access to it

The solice of knowing the organization I support operates with sound management principles that enhances its longevity can go a long way toward accepting things that impact my involvement.

I remember AMHA did require stallion reports--wasn't there a fee for the report plus $10 per mare? I don't keep up with AMHA now so perhaps that has changed? And yes, the R report is free as long as you send it in by the deadline for the current year. Nothing difficult about that.

Ordinary registration is still cheap compared to hardshipping--free stallion report and $20 to register a foal. That is still a good deal compared to $100 + $20 to hardship an AMHA filly or gelding foal, or $200 + $20 if it is a colt....or make that +$60 if it is a mature horse.

Truth is there are a good many people who already have horses they like that they want to register R--if the cost to register R were prohibitive there is a very good chance they would just stick with what they have--it wouldn't guarantee that they would go out and buy another horse that has R registration. In the grand scheme if things I would be surprised if any R breeder suffers any financial loss because of this sale.

Make a Wish. What two mares did you get? Did you get Bally? If you did and ever want to sell her please let me know. Please let me know what they have.

Rayvik you have got to be the smartest guy out there. Man, you can say stuff good.

I don't know about all the economics talk, but it down here on the farm it ain't good for the long run, if your company says you ain't worth anthing.

Gotta go buy a new fridge and stove, and maybe a dishwasher with the money I am saving.

Obviously I'm not a breeder, I registered my little AMHA guy with AMHR and PINTO just to have more shows to go to. Have no intention of winning anything but I'm sure I will have fun.

As we have been seeing that taller ponies are winning across the country and at the AMHR Nationals..there is nothing you can do about that. AMHR is part of the ASPC, and ASPC started AMHR. I don't like the fact that AMHA horses and Falabella get in basically for FREE, because $100. is not much and they are not inspected. I have nothing against the AMHR and AMHA horses who are not ASPC registered, I use to have some myself. But It makes no sense to me why AMHA and Falabella horses(really Shetland ponies) even want to be AMHR registered as they have a hard time winning anymore and it's only going to get worse. For those of you who remember the Shetland boom days when a Shetland couldn't win if it didn't have close Hackney lines, most of the time kept secret is similar to what is happening now in the AMHR shows and Nationals. The Shetland pony is reigning at the shows and I for one like this trend. A taller, more refined pony has more movement and better looks IMO...What I don't like is the ASPC Congress ponies winning who look "again" like Hackney's with no reguard to a true Classic and an even truer Foundation pony. They made a big mistake by taking off the A and B designations on pony papers...and if you didn't know this there "are" tiny Hackney ponies showing at the AMHR Nationals!

If you don't like what I say that's too bad

Blessings,

Jenny

Lavern I have Ballet on Broadway by George I bred her to Establo Maximo.( OMG can this mare trot.) I have Arctic Maid by George and bred her to HCM Bucks Fast Trac.Both mares due first part of March.I'll let you know what they have.

I have both AMHA/AMHR horses, and AMHR-only B size horses. I love them both. This year I bought two AMHA-only registered horses that I otherwise would not have purchased, simply because AMHR has the half-price from-AMHA hardship sale going on, and it made it more affordable for me to register them AMHR. Every horse I have is, or ends up being, registered in AMHR, that is the registry that I show in, and if breeding an AMHA/AMHR horse to an AMHR horse, then the horse can be registered. In the future I won't be buying any AMHA-only registered horses, regardless of how nice they may be.

I don't see this sale on hardshipping as a devaluing of AMHR horses. I see it as an opportunity for AMHR to get as many otherwise not yet AMHR registered horses into the registry, which will help finances for the registry now, and also in the future.

Harshipping a horse into AMHR with this sale at $100 doesn't make those horses "only worth" that $100, any more than the normal hardship price of $200 made them "worth only" $200.

I realize that the economy and bottoming-out market of horses is depressing, but I'm not giving up. I do this for the love of the horses, not to make a buck (good thing, since it's a big money losing proposition). Things change, and are always changing, that's life. How we deal with it is what determines our happiness and our futures. *shrug*

There are certainly many points being made regarding the philosophical aspects of this decision and many carry some degree of merit. Their is however something that in my opinion is fundamental to this decission and that is the impact and justification. The original decission should of been made with certain specific goals ie. increase income , increase membership, enhance marketability, some considerations for improvement other then just sounding good at the time. Now it has been in effect for 1 year and has been renewed for another year. So where is this documentation or spread sheet or financial report broken down to explain and justify the continuance. Perhaps I am alone but given the facts and understanding of what has been accomplished by this " sale" I might better accept any negitive impact that I might perceive.

I was at convention and saw or recieved no such information and I do feel its important enough that the general membership should have access to it

The solice of knowing the organization I support operates with sound management principles that enhances its longevity can go a long way toward accepting things that impact my involvement.
I heard it was a success, but haven't heard numbers or anything. I got the financial reports that they handed out at Convention and someone on here said that membership numbers were up, and you would think with this sale that would be true. Compared to 2011 we gained new members by around $2,500. Renewed members went down from 2011 and lost over $7,500. Secondary membership is also down compared to 2011 and you can't tell with youth membership because its free and doesn't give actual numbers. You also got to remember that in 2012 you had to become a member to do any paperwork in 2011 that wasn't necessary. So I'm not sure if the sale is really bringing in new members to recover the ones that aren't renewing and we must find out why. It also says we gained slightly in miniature registrations by almost $12,500. That may include the new hardship registrations but does not include the actual hardship money and for some reason that was left off the sheet.

I remember AMHA did require stallion reports--wasn't there a fee for the report plus $10 per mare? I don't keep up with AMHA now so perhaps that has changed? And yes, the R report is free as long as you send it in by the deadline for the current year. Nothing difficult about that.

Ordinary registration is still cheap compared to hardshipping--free stallion report and $20 to register a foal. That is still a good deal compared to $100 + $20 to hardship an AMHA filly or gelding foal, or $200 + $20 if it is a colt....or make that +$60 if it is a mature horse.

Truth is there are a good many people who already have horses they like that they want to register R--if the cost to register R were prohibitive there is a very good chance they would just stick with what they have--it wouldn't guarantee that they would go out and buy another horse that has R registration. In the grand scheme if things I would be surprised if any R breeder suffers any financial loss because of this sale.

If you make it by the deadline it's just $10. If you go past the deadline then its $25 plus $10 per mare that's listed. If the foal is born and the report is not filed then you must go thru the DNA process. So if anyone thinks AMHR is unkind think again, and be more stressful and more expensive if you forget in AMHA and it's not very forgiving. You can't blame the registries if you forget paperwork.

For the record, I think your straight AMHR B size horses are GORGEOUS, Renee! I have admired your program for many years!

I "personally" love the tiny ones best of all, maybe partly because I only have 2 acres, and partly because they are easier for me to handle. (I am OLD!).

But most of mine are double AMHA and AMHR, while a couple are straight AMHR. And I love them all!
default_smile.png
The two straight AMHR ones are two of my very favorites
default_smile.png

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back