Stupid Is As Stupid Does

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Wasn't he the guy who flew a kite in a lighting storm.....think about it

Just saying
Yeah, I guess you're right. That's probably the only thing he'll be remembered for, a pretty dumb guy.

Yeah, I guess you're right. That's probably the only thing he'll be remembered for, a pretty dumb guy.
Yes makes one wonder who the dumb one really was ...him for doing it or those that were thinking he was "stupid" for having done it.

One of life's quandaries I guess

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes makes on wonder who the dumb one really was ...him for doing it or those that were thinking he was "stupid" for having done it.

One of life's quandaries I guess
Yeah, I wish I was stupid enough to invent lightning rods and bifocals and odometers and stuff... But I'm too smart for that.

Since Franklin was not electrocuted in his kite flying experiment it is thought that there was a little more to it than the simple story we know--I think that he was not as stupid as some make him out to be. And he was definitely smarter than those who make him out to be stupid. :D

Yeah, I wish I was stupid enough to invent lightning rods and bifocals and odometers and stuff... But I'm too smart for that.

And less we forget those who invented or perhaps created is the better term the " miniature horse " but then it was just a bad joke turned marketing deception bought into by so many "stupid" people....

Well, in that light--how smart is someone who rants long and loud about how their miniature horse is truly a HORSE and not a pony because "it has horse proportions" yadda yadda yadda....and the "horse" they are defending in an obvious dwarf (as has been done more than once by people I know) There is no denying that those people totally bought into the deception--and if they are simply gullible and not stupid....you can bet that the people (big horse people at the state fair!) they were talking to thought they were truly stupid.

I don't get exactly what the issue is. I must be missing something... NOT trying to contradict, but hoping someone will toss me a clue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jill

In a nutshell it's if the miniature horse owners are the laughing stock of the equine world because what they own are little more the grade, midget, and dwarf Shetland ponies. That being something everyone knows in the equine world except us stupid mini owners who refuse to adimit it.

Well, we have many decades of irresponsible breeders who breed minis because they can do it without risk of serious injury but know nothing about horses, and we have horrific examples of our breed paraded around on National TV. No wonder too many folks are suprised to see minis that look like "real horses"
default_sad.png

But Jill, there is no such thing as a miniature horse, specially ones that may look like real horses, the minis of today are just small, short necked, chubby, ill-conformed Shetlands. Just ask any Shetland person. They are trying to save the miniature horse by influencing more of their beautiful, swan-like neck, fantastic movement and skinny little bodies. Aren't you grateful?!

Oh, and there is no "horse look" and you can't tell any difference between a mini and a Shetland in the show ring. Not sure how they argue that since it is the same people that are calling miniature horses so ill-conformed and dumpy. Stupid is as stupid does.

Well Kim, a simplified explanation is that there are some Shetlands who look like Minis and there are some Minis that look like Shetlands...there are those double registered ones that are obviously pony, there are some that would be taken for mini (different times we have been looking through the Journal and Mom has looked at a photo and said " that is double registered? Looks like an ordinary mini to me" )...so yes, both ponies and minis come in different shapes and proportions, and you can't always tell by looking which they are.

Granted there are some that are very close looking, I agree. But on the whole it is quite easy to see the difference and those are the ponies that are winning. They are working towards an extreme mini and I can appreciate that might be pretty cool to some but I would be much happier if we could institute a "type" classification similar to the ponies if that is where we are heading for the same reason the Shetlands did it, more even competition.

Shetlands have so many divisions because apparently every time a division evolves we have to add another one for the animals that are no longer competative (sort of like the plethora of driing divisions in the AMHR - what's going to be next once Western becomes too extreme/competative?). Multiple halter divisions create confusion among new owners, fighting among exhibitors, and muddy the waters in general. Who decides if the horse fits the type of the class? The judges by how they place. The Classic division begat the Foundation division in about 15 years thanks to judges picking more extreme animals year after year. The Foundation division in 12 short years is where the Classic division was when the Foundation division started. So - what next? Do we add another division? Where does it end?

PtHA's system is a mess too - ponies that used to show Pleasure are not not extreme enough and have to show Hunter or even Stock. Type divisions look great on paper but in practice are more than a little bit of a nightmare.

I agree with Lewella.

Having been to a few shows these past couple of years I have really seen mostly very fair judging, and I am not close to any trainers or "big names" and have not had horses showing (except at one). I do not own any ASPC registered horses at this time and I am absolutely fine with their influence. Sometimes you can tell, sometimes you can't. I have seen few I would label as "extreme" (which is just perspective anyway) and most of the time I agree with the judges decision. Looking at the proportions, many minis aren't quite there yet. Longer in the back with shorter legs and neck than should be. Some (emphasis on that word) shetland influence has really helped that and I think that is what the judges are seeing. That is at least what I am seeing and I love it-to me it is more "horse like" as some put it. Envisioning them as full size horses gives the better proportions. I am absolutely not saying that's the case with all-again, I have all AMHA and or AMHR horses, but there are few generations that separate them from the small ponies my great grandparents went around and bought when the registries first began.

Anyway, I hope a solution can be found to benefit both sides. Maybe closing hardshipping for good would be it. I feel as though the shetlands already in will become even more popular and then AMHR people will have their "breed" instead of height registry. Not everyone will be happy, but maybe that's a start.

Needed used collar harness for Express to haul my manure on the stone boat.

Back to the original post and ignoring those who like to pontificate and are such wet blankets when some are trying to have a little fun - Pyllis and I in Arkansas can add to the manure circle around the globe, and if you don't mind a little cow manure mixed in, I know a couple in Oklahoma who would be willing to "chip" in.

Latest posts

Back