Studly Colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb E

Reaction score
I have a nine week old colt that has ridden the mares around since he was born. But now he is actually getting into position, hard and pumping away. Unfortunately the mares are way too patient and not disciplining him. He does this all day long. We have only had a couple mini foals but have never seen this behavior in the big horses. Is this common?

I had a colt do this last year. We gelded him quickly. He got to the point he was trying to herd the mares and would try to fight with new horses.

Its not uncommon, although it is extremely helpful when the mares put them in their place. If he is not aggressively herding them or trying to run them at this age,I wouldn't be overly concerned. As he gets a little older and they start to view him as obnoxious they may begin to discipline him. Just use good sense and monitor the situation.

Totally normal. Most of my colts show some inclination.

Weaning tends to put a stop to it, I have had colts like this turn into perfectly well behaved young stallions. The main reason the mares tolerate it is because they understand it is just play.

Back