Stripes and Other Unusual Patterns

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
My stallion has shed off and this bit of unusal coloration has shown up on a small patch oh each side. Stripes is the best description I can give it. Is this common?

021.JPG

034.JPG

051.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been told by color authorities that there is a occurrence that they call 'roan striping'. It is different than brindling.

How high on the body are the stripes, and how old is your horse?

(I have black roan horses - another thing is they can have barring on the legs.)

I've been told by color authorities that there is a occurrence that they call 'roan striping'. It is different than brindling.

How high on the body are the stripes, and how old is your horse?

(I have black roan horses - another thing is they can have barring on the legs.)
He is five. The pattern is only in the flank area where it has that reddish color with the dark stripes.

There is a picture on the link I just posted that has the same flank strips. Looks like sooty gene striping

LULLABYIMAGERIGHTSTRIPES.jpg I have a confirmed (by UCDavis) brindled horse. Brindled markings are extensive and not in just one area, and also are apparent when a foal.

There are a couple of more members on this forum with a brindle mini.

How interesting! I have a 2 year old mare with something like this. The stripes are evenly spaced and if you look closely you can see that they continue on into the white haired area. This is only in her flanks and on both sides. You can 'feel' the stripes if you lightly run your fingers over.

I can't get the pictures to show in the right order, but I think you can see what I'm talking about.

DSC_0024web.jpg

I thought this was clipper marks the first time I saw it and was very frustrated with my clipping.

P1010009-1.jpg

Would you call this 'sooty striping' on the pinto mare above? even though it is also in her white hair?

Vickie, have you clipped this area to see what it looks like?

Charlotte, what puzzles me about your mare's marking, is that it crosses an area where the hair grows in two different directions. Is it always showing or seasonal? By the way she is so beautiful.

View attachment 8924 I have a confirmed (by UCDavis) brindled horse. Brindled markings are extensive and not in just one area, and also are apparent when a foal.

There are a couple of more members on this forum with a brindle mini.
Dang. Almost looks like a Great Dane. More baffling subject added in the field of genetics. Some people might desire the stripes. I know that I love leopard spots and realize there might be others that really want stripes for whatever reasons. Different strokes for different folks. I would pay more for a leopard than a solid horse. Some people might pay more to put stripes in their breeding. I just have to wonder. It is interesting. I think I need to get my stallion tested to see what he carries genetically. I don't want to waste a lot of money but I would like to know everything he carries. I did not clip him (or any others) this year. I am just letting them shed and brushing them. The flies are so bad I would feel bad if I exposed them too much. I used to bathe and clip every spring when I only had a few. Now that I have ten it just does not make sense because it it so hard on my backside. I got my sacral illium joint knocked out years ago by a freak accident and the physical strain of clipping horses is one thing that really aggravates the injury.

The birth of my brindled foal was a complete surprise. I own both the sire and dam, both are solid colored, and bred them expecting to get a roan, and I got a black roan brindle,stripes all over her entire body except for head and lower legs.. If you saw her in person it is quite dramatic and extremely rare, there are only a few. It is not a color pattern one can easily breed for. If you want a horse that gets attention wherever you take her, this is it. I have to say I love my surprise color little gal and lucky she was born here for me.

I bet she does get noticed a lot. Will you be using her as a broodmare eventually? Has the dam and sire produced any other foals? Thanks so much for letting me know about the websites on the stripes and brindling. I skimmed over what was available there to get to what looked like info that applied directly to what my stallion has. I plan on going back and reading up on all the info there. You are so lucky to own something so rare and beautiful. Good luck with your breeding program.

Thanks so much. I will be reading up on these unusual patterns. I am just now starting to understand roaning so now I have a new area to read up on (stripes).
Wow. I was on that site you referenced and got sidetracked to the info on dappling and then reverse dappling. I found that pattern very interesting. I think I need to change the title of my original post to Stripes and Other Unusual Patterns.
default_yes.gif

I have an unusual patttern on my Appy mare. It's a bunch of individual spots grouped together.

IMG-20120522-00140.jpg

madmax, this doesn't seem to be seasonal although I've only had this mare since fall of 2011. Because I can 'feel' the stripes I've wondered if it has something to do with the texture of the horse's hair being different where the stripes are.

With the brindle horses...can anything be 'felt' with the different hair colors?

My mare appears to have some, what I call, sabino roaning in her flanks. Her head doesn't have any roaning.

I say its just a roan patteren as my smutty buckskin roan stallion has the same exact thing. strips and multi coloring everywhere but changes with the seasons and clippings. some strips like on his neck dont change, but he is defently not a brindle.

A lot of roans and now brindle patterens go hand in hand with the Komokos Little King Supreme lines, my boy here is a double bred King Supreme son. I would'nt be surprised if bred/crossed with the right mare, he could potentially throw a brindle himself... but its a million to 1 chance.

post-18407-0-40413600-1324661490_thumb.jpg

100_2012.jpg

Latest posts

Back