striped hooves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunrise Valley

Reaction score
Hi, all!

I have a new silver filly by a bay out of a silver black. Her new hoof growth is coming in with the stripes that I have read are often present in silver horses. But, I've only had silver blacks, and none with striped hooves, including her dam who has solid black hooves. My question to those more experienced is, are the striped hooves more prevelent in the lighter silver, more heavily dappled coats? This filly is very light, almost a sterling silver shade, while her dam is very dark. I know coat colors change a lot in silvers.

Thanks to all!

Lisa

My boy is very dark with almost no dappling and he has very noticeably striped hooves. In the summer he looks almost black except for his mane and tail (and striped hooves). I don't know if its more common in one or the other?

My medium-dark silver bay stallion has striped hoves.

I dont think the shade of the horse has anything to do with striped hoves.
default_laugh.png

I haven't noticed any difference; most, if not all, of my silvers have striped hoofs, and nearly all of my silvers are dark, no dapples, and I have a number of silver blacks and silver bays. Ice Man is as dark as can be, just about black with no dapples at all, and he has striped hoofs.

I have a silver buckskin pinto without striped hooves......hmmmmm......maybe because of the white socks??

I have a silver buckskin pinto without striped hooves......hmmmmm......maybe because of the white socks??

Hi, all!

I have a new silver filly by a bay out of a silver black. Her new hoof growth is coming in with the stripes that I have read are often present in silver horses. But, I've only had silver blacks, and none with striped hooves, including her dam who has solid black hooves. My question to those more experienced is, are the striped hooves more prevelent in the lighter silver, more heavily dappled coats? This filly is very light, almost a sterling silver shade, while her dam is very dark. I know coat colors change a lot in silvers.

Thanks to all!

Lisa

Hi, all!

Thanks to all!

Lisa

I always heard that the striped hooves meant that they would throw color on their offsprings. like spots or stripes etc. My black and white tobiano paint has black and white hooves and his offspring always has spots and markings like him or the dam. I hope this answers your question???

I have had 3 silver horses so far - a silver bay pinto, a solid silver black, and a silver red dun (not sure what the official name of this color is). The last 2 are daughters of the first and all have VERY striped hooves. I have never heard about the stripedness varying with the color of silver. Interesting topic. Here's a little pic of the "silver red dun's" hooves.

IMG_0711.jpg

I have a silver dapple mare. She has very noticably stripped hooved. Her mom was a silver dapple pinto and her dad a palomino.

My guy gets darker WITH the sun. In winter the grey gets so light that it's almost white. His hooves are all white; no stripes.

2006Awesome-croppedtrot2.jpg

Latest posts

Back