straw or shavings?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovesanimals

Reaction score
We are very new to the world of minis. We brought our first two home last month. We are loving them! Right now, I am using wood shavings in their stalls. Is this what I should be doing? Or should I be using straw? Thanks so much!

It is personal preference. IF you use shavings make sure it is soft woods, pine or aspen, nothing else.

Straw is faster to compost than wood shavings. And straw is a bit harder to clean than shavings. That is where the personal choice comes in.

Either are fine, I prefer pine shavings.

Actually, my favorite bedding is the pelleted bedding (Pine Stall, Stable Blend, or other brand names) UNDER the pine shavings. The pellets are great to soak up the urine and last longer than the pine shavings, but the pine shavings aren't as dusty and seem a lot more comfy than the pelleted bedding (I don't pre-moisten the pellets before use).

I don't prefer straw because it seems kind of pokey (I would personally rather lay on shavings than straw) and it is difficult to clean.

Oh! And for foaling out mares, a nice soft hay like Bermuda or Orchard is great over the pelleted pine bedding...

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer shavings, it gives the barn a fresh pine scent that i love
default_yes.gif

I use to use saw dust (not really dust, small pellets/flakes) and it was cheap but the mill that we bought it from left it outdoors uncovered so when it rained on it, it would mold ext so i stopped. The shavings cost more per bag but i like the fresh clean smell it gives to the barn.

I do NOT like straw, when i used straw in the past by morning it would be gone and imo that is a colic waiting to happen
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back