Strangles?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhHorsePee

Reaction score
I know a lady who goes to Colorado and buys minis and regular horses as well. It's where I bought Promise and Ginger from. She normally brings back three tailers full. Some registered, some not. She has a very flashy palomino mare. BUT, I saw a mini with what looked like growths coming from her chin with flies all over it. I have never actually seen Strangles before and I hate to sound ignorant on this forum, but I just beeped my sis on her way to work and I was asking her about it and she says it sounds like strangles to her. And she also added not to buy from her anymore. I wasn't looking to buy this time just looking at what she brought in. Does this sounds like strangles to you? I came home and washed every stitch I had on including tennies. Should I stay totally away from this seller now ?
unsure.gif

Thank you

Fran

Well, if I were the dealer I would want to be told, so give her a call and tell her your concerns. After that, everything depends on her reaction. If it were to be" Oh my goodness are you sure, oh dear I'd better go and look right now, how could I ever miss that???" Then I think I would be OK about her, especially if I received another call to thank me for pointing it out and telling me the Vet had been called, the trailer was bout to be disinfected and did I know that I should have washed all my clothes (this has happened to me, I am very glad to say!!) If she were to tell me the mare scratched itself on the trailer and it is nothing to worry about it will heal on it's own, I would NEVER go near her place again. I am not against Dealers, I have dealt myself so it would be hypocritical, but I have to say- I would not hold my breath waiting for the first answer!!

You should not go there for at least ten weeks, whether she turns out to be responsible or not. I do not think your babies are in any danger but I would certainly look into getting them vaccinated. Strangles is very commonly brought on by stress- ie a long trailer ride!!

i hate to be crude but strangles looks like a huge zit that has popped. Usually has a lot of puss draining from the swollen hole. Now if the horse is at the end of it -- it wont have as much puss. Also not all horses that have strangles actually break open. Some just get swollen with a runny nose etc.

Was this "growth" actually on the chin, as in low down, near the mouth? Or was it up under the jaw, closer to the throat?

As Kay said, many horses that have strangles never get abcesses--some won't even get much swelling in the glands under the jaw. But, I've never compared a strangles abcess (prior to it breaking open) to a 'growth'--it's a swelling. After it breaks open it is just a big, yucky draining sore.

From your description, I'm not sure the horse you saw has strangles...

Sorry, under my cheek is my chin. LOL It's under it's cheek where the bones curve. Was like a cone shaped totally fly covered, hangy down sickly looking thing. Stinky!

I did call her a bit ago and she said it is strangles and her vet is coming out today. Her hubby had bought the horse when she went for something to eat. She is angry with him. So now all of them will be quarantined and treated. She knew about it when I was there. hmmmm She has a foal due this month too.

I do like going there, but she gets mixed up some times on who is who (horses).

Thank you for not poking fun of my ignorance on it!!

Fran

if she knew that horse had strangles and didnt warn you before you came there that imo is horrible!!! Im so glad you washed everything hopefully in bleach before you touched any of your horses. also if she knew the horse had strangles why didnt she quarantine it from h er other horses?? thats just crazy

Yes it is! (Crazy, rude, and down rightcrude)

I just took the truck mats out of the truck and sprayed with diluted bleach water.

Shame, that palamino was really pretty. I like being there when she first comes in, but I am not sure I will do that again!!!!

Thanks

Fran

Latest posts

Back