Strangles made horse sick last spring

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Taylor Jo

Gave my horse the internasel strangles along with her other shots, last April. The vet said it was the strangles that made her sick. She also got her other shots as well. I'm really worried come this spring if I give it again I risk making her sick again or do I forgo it? Trouble is then she's at risk for strangles. Input would be helpful. She was 2 then and she'll be 3 this time. She's my show horse too. I saw the post on shots and thought this was a good time to ask this question.

She got very lethargic, eyes glassed over, appetite went down, just looked sick, ran a low grade fever. TJ

If you are going to show that horse, I'd go ahead and give the strangles IN. Taking horse to different venues is a good way to get strangles.

It is my observation that the strangles vacc often causes lethargy, and overall depressed horse, not feeling good, sometimes a mild temp. It is strange because when you give it to your whole herd, some will be affected and some will not. Some seem to be more sensitive than others. Some feel sorry for themselves while others don't let much bother them at all.

I think it is like people taking flu shots. They make some people feel puny and others it doesn't bother at all.

Anyone else have similar observations?

My friends Mini mare is VERY allergic to the Strangles vaccine! The first time she got it she had the reaction 2 days later so they didn't associate it right away. She got a fever and a wicked case of the shakes!! The next time she got the vaccine she got sick nearly right away, same symptoms, so then they new for sure it was from the vaccine! From what I hear it was pretty bad!! Her vet told her she should never get that vaccine again!! She is careful about who her mare rubs noses with at the shows now since she is not protected!

~Tammy

My (big) horses got the intranasal Strangles vaccine for the first time last year and they got it again this year and when my three Miniature Horses arrived at the beginning of November I had my vet out to give them their vaccinations (because I didn't know their history) and they got the intranasal Strangles vaccine as well. One is a very tiny young mare and one is a six month old colt. My vet always warns me that they can get sick, but I have never had a problem with it.

I haven't had horses off the farm in years, but I occasionally buy a new horse and I hope to do some showing in 2009. I would hate myself if I took a horse to a show and brought back something to my favorite old mare or a new baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please Please Please be very careful in vaccinating your horses against strangles, ESPECIALLY horses with unknown strangles history. Strangles is a horrible PIA disease, but it's rarely fatal. What is fatal about strangles is giving a horse that has been exposed to strangles a vaccine against strangles. It causes an autoimmune mediated disease that essentially attacks the horse's immune system, eventually killing the horse.

The strangles vaccines are also fairly ineffective as they do not 100% cover ALL strains of the bacteria. Once a horse has had strangles, there is a fairly good chance that they many never get it again due to an active immunity by having it. There was a very large post that may have been moved to the Best of section on the forum where I posted some facts about the disease.

Thanks everyone. Come this spring then. I'll give her the shot. I guess NOT giving it is a greater risk.. It's better she feels puny for a few day's then. I appreciate you writing me, it really helped a lot. TJ

Also, thanks for this bit of advice apprecite this as well. "Please Please Please be very careful in vaccinating your horses against strangles, ESPECIALLY horses with unknown strangles history. "

Last edited:
Carin--does that apply with the intranasal vaccine also? I've always known it is dangerous to give the IM vaccine to horses that have previously had strangle....and therefore to any horse whose history is unknown...but I've never asked the vet if the same applies to the intranasal version.

We do not vaccinate for strangles so it's not something I have to be concerned about, just something I've wondered about different times.

Carin--does that apply with the intranasal vaccine also? I've always known it is dangerous to give the IM vaccine to horses that have previously had strangle....and therefore to any horse whose history is unknown...but I've never asked the vet if the same applies to the intranasal version.
We do not vaccinate for strangles so it's not something I have to be concerned about, just something I've wondered about different times.
YES! Any strangles vaccine given to a horse with a known (or UNKNOWN) exposure to strangles can cause problems.

I gave it both ways in the past and I would never give it again if you paid me. My big horses had a hard time with it. The only way I would consider it is if I were showing and had a horse go out on the circuit. Even then, I would not be enthusiastic about it.

"Thanks everyone. Come this spring then. I'll give her the shot. I guess NOT giving it is a greater risk.. It's better she feels puny for a few day's then. I appreciate you writing me, it really helped a lot. TJ"

I think you misunderstood. Not giving the shot may result in a case of strangles, which is rarely fatal. Giving the shot your horse may not only feel "puny" for a few days, and still catch strangles, but it's body may react by attacking it's own immune system, killing your horse, if it has already been exposed to strangles (which you may not have known was the case). The latter sounds like a much greater risk to me.

I do not vaccinate against strangles.

"Thanks everyone. Come this spring then. I'll give her the shot. I guess NOT giving it is a greater risk.. It's better she feels puny for a few day's then. I appreciate you writing me, it really helped a lot. TJ"
I think you misunderstood. Not giving the shot may result in a case of strangles, which is rarely fatal. Giving the shot your horse may not only feel "puny" for a few days, and still catch strangles, but it's body may react by attacking it's own immune system, killing your horse, if it has already been exposed to strangles (which you may not have known was the case). The latter sounds like a much greater risk to me.

I do not vaccinate against strangles.

Correct! I went ahead and searched the topic for the post I made to another thread 2 months ago:

I'm going to chime in here because I've recently dealt with this horrible condition and there is some misinformation being put out there.

1) Strangles is caused by a bacteria, Strep. equi. It is NOT airborne unless you count the bacteria being spread by the flies.

2) It is a very fragile bacteria. It does not live outside the host long and will not stay in the soil. Bleach, diluted Tide, and other cleaners will kill it. I like Bleach; it's cheap and you're going to use a lot of it. If you are in a situation where you having outbreaks every year to every other year, you have a carrier horse. To determine who is carrying it you must do cultures on all the horses on your property. 3 negatives 1 week apart each = clean.

3) DO NOT under ANY condition treat this by yourself with antibiotics. Antibiotics in a strangles case can cause brat strangles - abscess go internal and ruputure in the abdomen = death.

4) In my experience, it takes about 2 weeks for the abscess to mature and rupture, 2 weeks to heal (I like to do hydrotherapy - spray with gentle water hose), and 4 weeks for the horse to appear normal. You must stall rest these horses. Do not exercise them, do not transport them unless you are going to a hospital, etc. Stall rest for another 4 weeks before you start any kind of reconditioning program.

5) Sunlight helps kill the bacteria on inanimate objects.

6) Do not bring any new horses on to your place for at least 8 weeks following the last RECOVERED horse.

If your horses come down with it, they will most likely stop eating, drop weight, and look like they're dieing. Like John said, once the abscess ruptures, you're on the down hill side of it. It's a very expensive disease, but fortunately not usually fatal with the exception of brat strangles which almost always caused by mismanagement of the disease. I've only had to put one horse down with it, but it was because she had a gutteral pouch condition that would cause her to be a carrier the rest of her life. After pulling elevan horses through this, it was decided that no horse was worth going throught this again. Some people might not agree with this but every time a foal was born, weaned, or a new unexposed horse was brought on the property, an outbreak would occur again. REMEMBER it is spread HORSE TO HORSE or INANIMATE OBJECT. It is NOT in the soil.

My references are the Equine Internists here at Texas A&M who assisted me in my herd treatment.

Now the GOOD news about Strangles:

Once a horse has been exposed to the bacteria they will most likely have an active immunity to the disease from 5years - lifetime.

Now some more BAD news:

If you have a horse that has had or exposed to Strangles in it's LIFETIME, DO NOT VACCINATE THE HORSE FOR STRANGLES. The vaccine can cause an immune-mediated condition that causes the immune system to attack the horse, potentially killing the horse. A far worse condition than the strangles itself. Only horses that have had titers run should be vaccinated.

And this should go without saying but......leave infected horses at home and do not bring them to a show. This is where the majority of farms pick up strangles.

I had a pony react badly to the IM strangles vaccination quite a few years ago. At the time, I thought that surely the bad reaction was worse than the disease.

WRONG !!!! If you've never nursed an equine friend through a bad case of strangles, it's hard to believe their level of suffering. If you've never seen strangles go through your whole herd, it's hard to believe YOUR level of suffering. Be prepared to lose your whole "show/breeding/insert-whatever-you-enjoy-doing-with-your-horse-here" season. Be prepared to (potentially) spend LOTS of money with the vet. The extra work that dealing with strangles causes is enormous, and it may be necessary for several months. And while it's true that strangles doesn't usually kill, it certainly can. If Murphy has anything to say about, it could be your most valuable horse.

If you are concerned about the immune mediated condition mentioned in earlier posts, having a titer run seems a sensible precaution, but I would think twice about skipping a strangles vaccination for a horse that will be doing any travelling. And if you bring show/sale horses onto your property without quarantine facilities, you may want to think twice about skipping strangles vaccinations for all your equine.

On another note, has anyone been able to get the IM strangles vaccine lately ? I've heard several people say it has been pulled from most of the vet supply catalogs . . .

Shari Seddon

Rhapsody Shetlands

txminipinto,

Thanks, That is exactly what my vet told me, you just confirmed in

my mind what I remembered being taught.

I do not give that vaccine.

I do have a vaccine question,,, I will post it in a new thread.

~Sandy

Latest posts

Back