strangles info needed for article

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHANA

Reaction score
Hi I am writing an article to put in our journal. Some questions I am aking for those who have experienced it.

How long after the horses' abcess breaks are they still contagious for?

Anyone have pictures of different stages they would not mind me putting in my article?

What do you give them for medication and when? before abcess breaks or after?

What are the signs to look for in your herd if a horse has been infected?

Also can a horse have just the flu and it not be strangles but have abcesses as well that break open and drain.

Any other tibits you would care to donate would be appreciated as well. Thanks!
default_smile.png

I don't know about the treatment for strangles. But, they got it real bad at a barn I had 3 horses at. This was a strange out break because every horse inside the main barn got it. Then there was also a pole barn that had stalls along both sided and hay inside. The pole barn faced North/South. Every horse on the north side of the barn where they got no sun got strangles. While none of the horses on the south (sun side) of the barn got strangles. I was lucky that all 3 of my horses were on the sun side of the barn. These stalls were 12'x12' with a 12' pipe gate across the front.

When we had strangles here, my vet would only aggressively treat the ones that were "in trouble". He strongly recommended letting it run it's course unless they were having trouble breathing. I had 3 out of the 19 that sounded like they were going to choke themselves. Out of the 19 here, only 8 developed abcesses. Out of those 8.....4 only got 1 that didn't seem that bad. It burst and drained before we even knew they had one. Just found the sticky hair under their jaw. The other 4 had several rupture. Only 1 out of the herd had BAD abcesses. She had them all over her face. She almost looked like a teenager with severe acne. She finally fnished with her last one 6 months later.

According to my vet, strangles virus can live in the ground for up to 7 years. We bleached everything from buckets to the ground. It can also hang on longer in wood. Luckily, all my barns are metal.

Latest posts

Back