Strangles in Miniatures, Blue is very sick

• Thread starter Triggy&Blue&Daisy Too
  • Start date
Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your vet is right, with the added pleurisy he NEEDS the antibiotics, poor little guy!

Glad to hear that he is breathing better.
default_yes.gif
:

Awww, Shirley, I'm so sorry and I hope Blue can recover fully, as quickly as possible.

My thoughts are with all of you...

Liz M.

My prayers are still with you Shirley, call your vet and ask him if children's aspirin would be ok. When my Rose was sick once she used up her banamine time also so he suggested I melt children's aspirin in some yogurt. She loved it and it did help with the fever and soreness.

YOu might want to talk to your vet about dypyrone it can still be made by compound pharmicies it is WONDERFUL for tempatures. I have used it when we had fevers of 107 it last a bit longer then banimine as well

Hi all,

It's the end of another exhausting day but Blue is turning around. His temp was only 100.7 tonight without the aid of banamine. He is coughing globs of phlegm out which is remarkably improving his breathing. He is doing well getting his hydration from my beet pulp concoction and all his vitals are getting better day by day but he still isn't drinking water on his own yet. Vet comes Monday to see him again and if he's still in good shape we can forgoe any water tubing. I am just relieved he's making some progress the right direction, I really thought I was going to lose him at one point and couldn't tell my husband as he would have had a meltdown. Blue is his love out of them all, he is his special boy.

The final path report came back today and confirmed strangles and I have been doing some major disinfection of the premises with Virkon S. Found our supply and cleaned every surface I have come in contact especially the common areas like the bathroom. Won't prevent it from others getting it if their immune systems aren't up but at least it knocks down the bacterial load somewhat. I try to maintain the utmost care in not cross contaminating my mares and especially the other horses.

Thanks for all your support, in PMs and posts, it's truly been a blessing.

Thanks Lisa I will ask about the dyprone. It would be great to have an alternative to banamine.

Last edited:
Shirley that is great news.

Try putting more and more water in the beet pulp until it is drinking water!!!

Also put the feed in the same sort of bucket as the water or vice versa- when you are as ill as Blue and a horse you can forget to do things- he just needs "jogging" to start drinking again- a little subterfuge goes a long way!!!

Keep it up Shirley, you're doing a fabulous job, keep cup drumming him with your hands. I like Jane's idea of beet soup. YOU are getting run down, take some vitamins and suppliment yourself! I'm getting concerned for you now.

Bleach doesn't kill it. It is a virus so you need to clean with a viruscide.
Ok, this comment has been bugging me, as I was positive S. Equi was a bacteria, but didn't want to post til I talked to my vet... I talked to my vet today; S. Equi IS a bacteria. But, you are right bleach is not that effective for killing it. My vet recommded Lysol liquid for disinfecting surfaces; betadine or povidone iodine for cleansing the abcesses.

While I've bumped this up...

Shirley, How is Blue?

I'm so glad to hear we're on the upswing! Try weaning Blue onto warm water as well. I know when I've got a cold, chilly water makes my throat feel like it's closing up and I develop a real aversion to it. Warm water, however, is another story and like the Water of Life! :bgrin And I'll bet you feed the beet pulp hot, don't you?

Leia

[SIZE=14pt]i have been following you and Blue...so glad he is doing better, having someone sick is very stressful
default_sad.png
. hope he continues to improve
default_yes.gif
: . Nikki
[/SIZE]

Blue is doing very well now. He is drinking again and the pleurisy has calmed down so his breathing is normal now with little cough. His temp has been in the normal range for 3 days now so the antibiotics are doing their job. One more week and he is done with them and can go back to his regular quarters. Just very relieved to be on the back side of all this now. Thanks for your good thoughts for him, I'm sure it made a difference.

Shirley,

I'm so glad that Blue is doing better! I'm sure he'll feel even better when he can go back to his quarters and his social life!

susanne

Shirley, I just saw this for the first time...sorry your little Blue went thru so much.... Ive never had strangles here (knock wood) but I know people who have. So glad he is feeling better.

Lyn :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back