Strange swelling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meavey

Reaction score
Anyone ever seen this?

He was roughly clipped and washed yesterday because he was itching, he had a load of dandruff, washed him with betadine shampoo and sprayed him with healthy hair care moisturizer.

But I doubt this has anything to do with it.

Put blankets on him and this is how I found him this morning, the swelling is only above of where his blanket was, lookes almost like oedema? But it is quite hard I cannot press a hole in in.

A while back I thought he felt a bit hard on the same place but didn´t notice it again untill now and now very noticable.

He is not bothered by it at all.

If he bends his neck like on the last pic you can almost grab the bump.

Last edited by a moderator:
it almost looks like he wore a too tight blanket. Is that blanket tight?? If its hard though sounds like some kind of tumor. I would get a veternarian to look at it. Thinking good thoughts!

I would also have a vet look at it.

The day after I got my second riding horse, people set of fireworks and he ran into something in the field and got a lump kind of thing that looked similar to what you have on your horse. It was hard and like a rock kind of under his skin, and big. In the case of Rocket, it went away and was the result of an injury.

Here are my thots on it. It looks like an edema of some sort, maybe puss or maybe blood. I'm betting some sort of infection -- maybe from a small puncture in the field that you hadn't notice before, or maybe from a small thorn that left no entrance mark. Or an insect bite. Could be most anything.

It occurs to me that minor swelling could have been present anyway, but when the blanket went on, it was maybe just tight enough to stop any dispersal of what would be normally going on wtih this. So, the "whatever that's in there" had no where to go but to "bunch up" with the blanket possibly stopping the normal processes that let the "matter" flow away thru the blood steam.

I'd give it today, maybe, to work itself out again, with massages away from the center of the thing, starting with the edges but trying to work things away so they don't accumulate.

Or maybe you want to call the vet because if the swelling gets really going, it could depress his esophagus (can't spell it) and hamper his breathing. Depends on what it coordinates with as far as innerds go. Had a filly once who had an edema on her chest. Vet lanced & drained it (lots of puss). He said if edema had stayed there, it would have killed her by eventually pressing onto her heart. Not trying to scare you, but it can be serious.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck. Keep us posted. (also had one once very suddenly on the chest yearling stud. It went away over night & was never seen again and there were no ill effects.) - karen

Last edited by a moderator:
He doesn´t have any trouble breathing, it´s not that close to his jaw and the swelling seems to be on top of his normal skin not deeper, it is not rock hard, feels kinda like just thicker skin or scar tissue.

I left his blanket of till now but it´s still the same, if it´s not gone tommorow I will call the vet.

He even likes me rubbing it, it´s not warm either.

His blanket is not tight, his fleece blanket under the normal one did move a bit during the night, it pulled a little back.

I don´t think it is a tumor he is a young 2,5 year old stallion, and tumors don´t appear in one night but sure am curious what it is.

Bug season is as good as over, it´s getting winter here, a stray wasp maybe but wouldn´t it be warm then?

Will keep you posted.

The throatlatch 'could' have been restricting that area and caused swelling below, but that really looks to me like the result of maybe a lot of rubbing or putting his neck through or over a fence and bruising the skin in that area.

Does the skin look normal other than the swelling?....no sores or such as that?

I would want a vet to look at it

Charlotte

He didn´t have it on for 3 days and it happent last night, and no there are no sores or wounds.

The swelling has come down a bit now.

Had this happen to a customer when she left a necksweat on and then put a blanket on the blanket was to tight and so was the necksweat.

She learned the hardway thru the vet coming out and paying a vet bill.

I would try leaving the blanket off or something worse could happen.

Also I don't like leaving neck sweats on that long. They need to come off and that area get washed really well as well as the necksweat.

Jmho tho.

Good luck,
default_wub.png
:

Bonnie

But he didn´t had a necksweat on just a troatlatch and that is with fleece, the kind you can leave on long, could that have caused it then? He only weares them half days.

He needs his blanket he is clipped and winter is coming and a stud approval show in 6 weeks where he needs to be fit and pretty.
default_wink.png
:

But the blanket is not tight at all have checked and double checked, it´s even quite loose in front cause they fit low on the chest.

Did the swelling of your costumers horse go down on it´s own or did he need medication?

If he's really itchy.. it's probably from him scratching on something hard and bruising it causing the edema. that would be my guess.

But he didn´t had a necksweat on just a troatlatch and that is with fleece, the kind you can leave on long, could that have caused it then? He only weares them half days.

He needs his blanket he is clipped and winter is coming and a stud approval show in 6 weeks where he needs to be fit and pretty.
default_wink.png
:

But the blanket is not tight at all have checked and double checked, it´s even quite loose in front cause they fit low on the chest.

Did the swelling of your costumers horse go down on it´s own or did he need medication?

Oh i am sorry I thought it was a necksweat
default_wacko.png
: .

Yes it did go down but took a few days. If its still swollen iI would have a vet look at it. It sure wouldn't hurt and where its in the area its in I would not want to fool around with it.

Good Luck,

default_wub.png
:

Bonnie

Was he recently washed? Could be a bit of soap residue that was not rinsed out properly. That itches like CRAZY and they will eventually rub their hair completely off down to raw skin and that could cause the swelling. If he was washed recently, you could try rinsing him..... again and again and again and again. And then again. It certainly won't hurt anything.

I would definitely have the vet take a look at this. If its hard it could be a hematoma (sp?) caused by some type of impact and it could need draining. Being in the neck area again I'd have Doc take a look. Please let us know what you find out.

The swelling was gone this morning, the vet has to come next week anyway so wil let him look/feel at it then to make sure there is nothing wrong.

Unless it wil come back offcourse then he wil be called right away.
default_wink.png
:

We don´t have scary spiders around here.
default_wink.png
:

And yes I washed him but like I wrote it did that because he was itching already, I did rince it very good.

Maybe he has been itching because I clipped him and now he could really give himself a good itch without the winter hair there?

I wil keep an eye on it.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back