Strange selling practice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvwalkers

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]What's up with people? A few days before Christmas I spoke to a man about a pony he had for sale, we talked for 45 minutes and ended by saying he'd love us to come look at the pony and the price was neg. because he had 5 mares due and needed room and we seemed like a great home. He gave me directions and said no hurry as he hadn't had anyone else even call. I have emailed him since and we planned on going to take a look (he is 4 hours away) he replied saying he couldn't wait to meet us, today I got an email saying that his daughter had rode the pony and that he did great and the price was know different, he now is selling the pony for $700.00 MORE then the original price he told me
default_new_shocked.gif
, I know it's his pony to do with and sell for what he wants but come on, is it me or is this not right? Anyone have this happen? Nikki[/SIZE]

OMG!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

What is up with that?!?!

Sounds sorta fishy.... wonder if something has changed. Maybe sold the horse to somebody else??? Keep us posted on the turn of events. Will be interesting.

That's rediculious!

I wouldn't want to be involved with someone like that. I think it's time to move to the next pony prospect!
default_yes.gif

My rule of thumb which has served me well so far is that I am sold on the seller before I'm sold on the horse. This is because I have to trust them to tell me the truth on things I cannot "see" about the horse. It's his right to price the pony how ever he wants, but, this seller would have just failed my test and I'd scratch him off my list of potential sources for my next horse.

Perhaps he had a change of heart and the little guy was harder to part with than he realized. That does happen some times. Stinks for the potential buyer.

Had this happen with a miniature colt. I got a price and e-mailed back that I would like to see a video(said they could get a video that weekend) and more pictures. I only had seen one picture. This horse was across the country from me. I waited and waited with no response. Owner finally called back on my voice mail to tell me the colt had now dropped both testicles(had priced him based on only dropping one testicle) and they had upped his price by $1800. I passed on that horse and on the seller.

Interesting subject; in the winter, I often amuse myself by 'surfing' a bunch of the 'horse classified' sites...
default_rolleyes.gif
--and I have noticed on at least one, a listing along the side of the home page, of 'price increases'(?), along with price decreases! In my day, it just 'wasn't done' to advertise, then raise the price at virtually the same time! (Later, maybe, after not having an active ad for awhile--and if there was some valid reason, like considerably more training, but...not just 'because you felt like it'!!) Like others, I'd pass on that one--the horse market is generally not so hot just now(unless you are in the 'upper eschelons', and have plenty of money, so that the price increases in nearly everything are of no concern to you, as they are to many of us....
default_unsure.png
)--so to announce such a price increase seems to me like a very sure way to 'drive off', not attract, prospective attractive buyers!

Margo

[SIZE=14pt]someone mentioned he might want to keep him now, that's not it because he is advertised again but new ad and the higher price. he also has this pony's half brother that he offered to me for the orginal price this morning in an email and said he had someone coming this morning to look at the pony i liked but if they didn't take him he'd let me know. no thank you, i'm passing...Nikki[/SIZE]

Let me be the devil's advocate here but I would do this for a number of reasons. I *did* do this when I was about 11 with my pony who was for sale, because I decided I couldn't part with him. I would do this with anything that received more training, etc. However in 99% of the cases (besides the wanting to keep the horse) I would let the person who was interested originally the option to buy at the original price. If that makes sense lol. On all my horses there's a note that I reserve the right to change the price without notice. I had one pony who was $1100 until I backed her, after the first two rides her price more then doubled because she was amazing and I wanted to keep her. Although I will admit no one was interested until after the price change (then someone called saying they wanted her at the original price
default_rolleyes.gif
)

In my honest opinion I don't think the seller is just trying to mess with you. Obviously he found some reason to increase the price, and it would be a common courtesy to let you have the pony at the original price, but he really is under no obligation to do so.

[SIZE=12pt]I stated it is his horse to do with what he wants and yes he is under no obligation to not break his word to me, I don't have an issue with people raising prices, I guess I would never do such a thing with someone I had already talked and emailed several times but that is just me. The world is full of all kinds of people but these kind I choose to avoid. My word means a lot to me.
default_yes.gif
Nikki [/SIZE]

unless he told you the horse was subject to a price increase dependent on so and so when he gave you the original quote, I would pass on this. For someone to raise the price (and by so much) for no significant reason is a little weird in my book.

You can find a good pony/horse for a lot less. I just got a gorgeous palomino filly. Her sire is a registered QH and dam is a grade pony. She can be registered as half QH and only cost me $300.
default_smile.png

[SIZE=14pt]Shana, you need to find me one of those $300. ponys...
default_yes.gif
....a gelding around 11 or 12H, broke too...I want to know where you're looking
default_biggrin.png
Nikki[/SIZE]

I have raised and lowered prices on horses for various reasons - but if I've quoted a price to someone with no exceptions ("unless he drops, unless he improves, etc) I will honor the price to that individual - within a reasonable amount of time of course. I've had someone look at a horse, move on and then call a year later...

Jan

Latest posts

Back