Strange marking. What is it?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte

Reaction score
P1010009-2.jpg

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? It's a new one on me.

27" 2 year old filly. Clipped her for the first time today. She has these lines on both sides. If you look closely you can see that she has them in her white area too.

I stretched and pulled the skin and clipped from all angles but they don't go away.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
She may have scratched herself on something that rubbed the hair off just on those lines so the hair grew back a little darker, maybe? I would have said clipper marks, but then you'd have more "teeth" marks, closer together.

Well Charlotte, they look just like clipper marks, but you've been doing this far too long to not know clipper marks when you see them so this must be something else. Maybe like Amanda says, she scratched herself in some unusual way? Or, and this is way out there, is there some sort of "bug" that could have done this? I'm thinking of something like how humans can get scabies and they burrow under the skin and make "lines" on the skin. Totally guessing obviously.

Look at it closely and you can see three rows going on a radius in the same direction; just the way you would clip the flank area. I'd vote for clipper tracks.

Stretch marks???? From what, I would have no idea though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep..clippers. They are too even to be scratches or bugs, and like Marty said they are directional..We don't clip our horses, but the kids' show sheep had them when we clipped too much at a time. New clippers, or a different blade than usual?

I wonder if she's been clipped before and the blades 'scratched' her, making the hair grow in darker in those areas?

Very unusual ones, but I'd say clipper marks, too. Only other thing that occurs to me is that the marks 'sort of' resemble the 'grid' of some sort of wire mesh fencing...could she have been leaning on one.or using it to 'scratch', and it somehow 'imprinted' to the base of the hair, and therefore showed up after clipping??

Margo in NM

P1010009-2.jpg

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? It's a new one on me.

27" 2 year old filly. Clipped her for the first time today. She has these lines on both sides. If you look closely you can see that she has them in her white area too.

I stretched and pulled the skin and clipped from all angles but they don't go away.

Any ideas?
Hey Charlotte,

Ya know what it looks like to me?... she's been rubbing on your wire fence?

I just clipped my 7mo colt... and he has the same marks.... and I know where his came from.

Could it be?
default_smile.png

I was gonna say it looks like she's been scratching her sides on a wire fence, or something like a wire fence. My girls get marks like that too, when they scratch their sides on our fence. It tends to show up either after clipping, or right when they shed off, since they normally scratch themselves the most vigorously when shedding (or getting ready to shed).

You can see the clipper marks on the white part of her belly and they don't look like that. Probably what the others have said and just scratching on the fence.

Latest posts

Back